SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps i brought a saab 9-3 2ltr turbo 2002 71,000 miles, everything was going well till my car wouldn't hold its reves when slowing down then dying. I took it to my local saab dealer and they told me it came up with random misfire, so i changed my plugs gave it a service and that made no difference. Whilst i was at saab they surgested i swaped my breather kit for the improved one as they suffer with breathing issues ? So today i took it to my mates who has a snap on code reader, and it now gives me a code P0302 which is misfire No 2, i have check the injector and seem to working fine, i also done a compression test.

No 1 13.8 bar
No 2 15.0 bar
No 3 15.0 bar
No 4 13.8 bar

Im now at the stage of do i remove the head and check for damage, as if i leave her a coulpe of days, then start her she puffs out a bit of blue smoke which makes me think theres oil leaking into the bore.

Any advice would be great Glenn

·
Registered
497 Posts
Glenn,
Welcome to the forum.
First off I think the direct ignition is aging/failing.
If you have another try swapping it out.
Does it have any trouble restarting when "dying"?
If so the crank position sensor may be your culprit but it doesn't always throw a code making me lean towards the DIC.
The puff of blue smoke could be oil leaking into the turbo.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
^ +1 Pretty good chance it's the DIC unit. They do die. All Saab owners should have a spare on hand in the trunk as they can die unexpectedly.

The oil after sitting issue is traditionally bad valve seals... oil drips down into the cylinder when it's at rest.

Are you sure about those compression readings? They seem way too high when I convert to psi so I can understand them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My saab has no problems starting again when it dies hot or cold does sound like its hunting slightly on tick over and when you hold the reves up between 3000rpm and 5000rpm i can feel the engine missing now again if you know what i mean

Yer the compression readings are right and does do both psi and bar. i thought they seemed a bit hi on two and three cyclinder ! does anyone have the correct compression stats for my saab ?

I will go to my local breakers tomorrow and see if i can get a di pack just incase saab got it wrong.

Thanks Guys :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
personally wouldnt worry about high compression. i would worry if you have low compression. 9 times out of 10 the DIC is the issue for random misfire codes. i keep one in my trunk and 2-3 at home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts