SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 01 9-5 (2.3t) a couple months back. It's not the Aero model...I believe it's rated for 185 hp?? I'm fairly new to Saabs, just always liked the style and liked the appointments available for a pretty reasonably priced 4 door sedan. Anyway.....what are my options for more hp?? The only other turbo I owned was a Dodge 600 convertible back in high school....it was pretty much a ****box and I didn't try to mod it at all. What do I need to know about modding the 9-5? How much money am I looking at to get some reasonable horsepower gains?? Also, any brake/suspension mod suggestions? Style suggestions? Thanks folks. Cool forum y'all got here. :cool:

Only thing I've done on the car is add 17" wheels/tires.

Here's a bad pic of my car.....:cheesy:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PA9.5Drvr said:
I'd definitely say tint the windows next! You can never go wrong with an intake, exhaust, springs, and struts!!
I'm moving to Florida so windows will be tinted once I get there. Can you be any more specific on mods? Prices/Brands/etc.....

Is modding a turbo the same principle as modding a non-turbo(more air, more fuel, more combustion)? :cheesy:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm new to the Saab family also just got mine a week ago! Now if you want to know about Nissan Maxima's I can help but that is not why you are here. I woul say someone more educated in the Saab family will chime in here soon. I am curious as to what brands to use as well!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PA9.5Drvr said:
I'm new to the Saab family also just got mine a week ago! Now if you want to know about Nissan Maxima's I can help but that is not why you are here. I woul say someone more educated in the Saab family will chime in here soon. I am curious as to what brands to use as well!!
I'm also wondering if there are any "free" mods or do-it-yourself mods that folks can suggest. When I had my '96 Z28 I know there were a couple things you could do to the intake (remove the MAF was one) that added a few ponies. Free is always good! :cheesy:

I know someone mentioned something about a DIY grill mod....I'm up for any style mods too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Man Tank you and I are on the same page I posted something earlier about this as well. The grill mod is supposed to be very easy, I will try to find the link for us!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ok the mesh grill mod on a 9-3 grill is very easy to do since the grill will come apart in 2 pieces. You need to make sure that you are pretty careful when pulling the grill apart so you dont bust tabs and also make sure yo ucut enough clearance in the mesh to allow for the tabs. I went to home depot and bought a strip of gutter gaurd and then painted it wih a clear sealer to keep it from oxidizing. YOu can also paint it with any color you want to customize your look. Feel free to PM me if you need help doing this and I will be glad to walk you through it.

I found this on www.Saablink.net hope it helps!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PA9.5Drvr said:
Ok the mesh grill mod on a 9-3 grill is very easy to do since the grill will come apart in 2 pieces. You need to make sure that you are pretty careful when pulling the grill apart so you dont bust tabs and also make sure yo ucut enough clearance in the mesh to allow for the tabs. I went to home depot and bought a strip of gutter gaurd and then painted it wih a clear sealer to keep it from oxidizing. YOu can also paint it with any color you want to customize your look. Feel free to PM me if you need help doing this and I will be glad to walk you through it.

I found this on www.Saablink.net hope it helps!!!
Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good Saturday project.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Tank said:
I'm moving to Florida so windows will be tinted once I get there. Can you be any more specific on mods? Prices/Brands/etc.....

Is modding a turbo the same principle as modding a non-turbo(more air, more fuel, more combustion)? :cheesy:
It's even easier with a turbo, you can just increase the pressure! :cheesy: Unfornately things like that won't work with our cars cause on the over engineered ECU. Here's what I know though.

1. Power: Quickest way to go faster is to upgrade the ECU to a Stage 1, this'll bump the output to around 230 hp at 5500 rpms and 300 lb-ft at next to nothing. These run in the area of $800-1000 though, not the cheapest, but this ain't no ebay item. There are many to choose from, BSR, Nordic, Maptun to name a few. Nothing is glaringly cheaper than the other though.

2. Suspension: Get a set of Aero sway bars and a aftermarket suspension of your choosing. I hear the Eibach is comfortable, yet firm and I've also heard good things about Bilstein shocks. I'm still looking into suspension bits as that's my next mod. springs ~$250 shocks ~$500

3. Intake: Do an open element intake mod, (search around the forum for instructions) it won't make you go much faster but it sounds so much cooler. You'll also hear the horrid noises the stock bypass valve can make so you may want to upgrade that as well. filter ~$60 bypass valve ~$100

4. Exhaust: A catback won't net you much power as the most restrict part of the 9-5 exhaust by a mile is the downpipe. A catback sounds really cool though. catback ~$400 downpipe $800 The downpipe won't be necessary until you want more than 230 hp.

There are many other things to do, but these are places to start. Oh, and is your car a manual or auto?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Raven18940 said:
It's even easier with a turbo, you can just increase the pressure! :cheesy: Unfornately things like that won't work with our cars cause on the over engineered ECU. Here's what I know though.

1. Power: Quickest way to go faster is to upgrade the ECU to a Stage 1, this'll bump the output to around 230 hp at 5500 rpms and 300 lb-ft at next to nothing. These run in the area of $800-1000 though, not the cheapest, but this ain't no ebay item. There are many to choose from, BSR, Nordic, Maptun to name a few. Nothing is glaringly cheaper than the other though.

2. Suspension: Get a set of Aero sway bars and a aftermarket suspension of your choosing. I hear the Eibach is comfortable, yet firm and I've also heard good things about Bilstein shocks. I'm still looking into suspension bits as that's my next mod. springs ~$250 shocks ~$500

3. Intake: Do an open element intake mod, (search around the forum for instructions) it won't make you go much faster but it sounds so much cooler. You'll also hear the horrid noises the stock bypass valve can make so you may want to upgrade that as well. filter ~$60 bypass valve ~$100

4. Exhaust: A catback won't net you much power as the most restrict part of the 9-5 exhaust by a mile is the downpipe. A catback sounds really cool though. catback ~$400 downpipe $800 The downpipe won't be necessary until you want more than 230 hp.

There are many other things to do, but these are places to start. Oh, and is your car a manual or auto?
Damn....I was hoping I could get started for under $300 or so :cheesy:. On my Z28 you could do free mods, throw on a catback and a cold air intake and bang.... you netted some nice horspower gains for around $500. I may have to hold off for a bit if it's going to run me over $1000. That cost you are quoting...is that for just the parts or the install too? Does a shop have to do the install on that or is it something I could do? (I'm fairly competent with a wrench).

Good detail on your suggestions, thanks!:cool:

Oh yea...car is a 5 speed!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think I am safe in answering for Raven that those costs are for parts only.

Go to the top of this forum's thread list and look at the Members Modifications List sticky for more information on many various tuning items, options, and approaches.

Sounds like you're definitely getting the bug - welcome to the land of the terminally infected...:cool:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hardware upgrades on a 9-5 really wont do much at all for you unless you upgrade the ECU in with them. The Trionic 7 brain will make sure that your car produces the same 185hp no matter what the modifications.....

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Changing the interior lights for a different colour adds 50-60Nm of torque too ;) (50 for the greens and 60 for the blues)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts