SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been 3 months with my Steel Gray 2003 9-3 Arc 2.0T, and I must say... I love it! :cheesy: I bought it with 95,000 miles for a very reasonable $6k from a private seller only about an hour away from me in Connecticut. It's absolutely loaded with every available option from the factory. Every time I get in and put that fob in the ignition, it just feels right, it feels good. I turn the key and then a flash of the Xenon lights, followed by a flourish of green instrument lights and activation of dashboard needles. Everything's just so smooth, so well thought out....and that's just the interior. Steel gray with 16" 10-spoke wheels (which look like 17's to me), looks just so good...so good. The shape of the car is fabulous, looks very aerodynamic, and fairly aggressive. OK...now... on to what really matters...driving the car. Holy guacamole! The 210hp 2.0 litre 4-cylinder engine feels like it has twice the power. Very responsive, and very...very fun to drive.

All-in-all, this car is everything I want in a car, and then some. Coming from a family where there are a couple Saab faithfuls (dare i say fanatics?), whom I can now totally understand.

I love my Saab, and I think the feeling is mutual.

Now my thoughts on the car have been expressed, lets get down to the technical shenanigans.

I changed my oil today...in the snow. Wasn't that bad, but the drain plug is almost impossible to get to without putting it on ramps. But I managed, and filled that baby with some delicious 0W-40 Mobil 1...mmm. (Thanks to the DIY oil change thread in this forum.)

Despite my overall praise of my specific car, there are a few problems.

The SID actually has multiple vertical lines of missing pixels, obscuring the hour number of the clock, and the left side of the information section. Has anyone had this problem before? I know that this was a very common problem with the previous generation 9-3's. Any suggestions? I contacted BBA Remanufacturing, and they said they could fix it for ~$65, currently this is the best option I could find. Also, has anyone taken out the SID? Can you advise me as to how to approach doing so?

The emblems have peeled off...big surprise I know. Should I get new OEM emblems, or just buy the gel decals off of ebay?

Front and rear bumpers have chipped paint/scrapes, has anyone had their bumpers repainted? Price range?

Hmmm...I Actually think that's it for the problems as of now. On to maintenance.

Now that I'm within a couple months of 100k miles, what should I be planning on replacing/changing? Spark plugs, serp. belt, water pump?

Ok, enough questions. Heres what I plan on doing to my car, performance and aesthetic wise:

-Magnaflow Muffler
-Custom Air Intake
-Stage 1 ECU upgrade (probably Nordic)
-Window Tints
-PIAA foglight bulbs (probably yellow, i think it'll look cool contrasting the xenons)
-painted calipers
-Akebono brake pads
-Painted wheels (gun metal or satin black, need more examples first)
-Aero rear spoiler and front spolier lip.
-Aux-in, with custom iPhone dock setup.
-General Exclaim UHP Summer tires
-General Altimax Arctic Winter tires with steel wheels for next winter.

Ok, that's it... I'll shut up

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics

Here are images as promised, today was a beautiful day in connecticut, washed the car and took a drive (ignore scrape on front lip, was there before i bought car, new lip is on the way)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
whats going on with your door handles?

·
Registered
16 Posts
i'm pretty sure if you find them on some random car dealers lot you will make a deal )) that's what i did but had to add couple $$$ extra of course)

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I'm begging you to not buy the gel decals on ebay. Buy an OEM replacement, the installation is a piece of cake and from personal experience it looks a lot better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts