SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Saab 9-3 2.0T and it has a few problems. I bought it from a guy that bought it at auction, ran into these issues and decided to sell it for cheap since he didn't have time to mess with it. It has the ever famous "steering wheel lock malfunction" error. I have read that for this it is either the CIM or the ISM. Just some precursor info, I do have a Tech2 and I have tried cleaning the ISM and that did not solve the issue. I did get some better contact cleaner to see if that helps any so I will rip into it again and try that. There were a few blown fuses related to the radio and cd changer but the dash fuse 2 relating to the steering issue was still good. I have browsed the forums and youtube a bunch on this topic but I haven't found a way to actually diagnose this issue.

That being said, the next step would require me to buy parts and my question is how do I know if it is the ISM of the CIM? Supposedly the guy I bought it from sent off the CIM to get reprogrammed so it only has one key, so if that is true does this mean that the CIM couldn't be the issue as it would have to be functioning properly to be reprogrammed? I have seen the ISM going for around $100 new or $50 used so that isn't bad if I have to replace it, but is there a way for me to diagnose it? I would hate to buy the ISM if the CIM needs replacing.

It seems this problem is run into by every Saab owner at some point, has anyone figured out a work around for this issue? My worry is that I get it fixed this time only to get stranded somewhere and need to be towed. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
18,977 Posts
Codes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of codes i believe. So when i go into the DTC's it first tells me I have an o-bus ring detected. Not sure what that means? Then i hit continue and it tells me amp1 missing, amp2 missing, ehu missing. I hit continue and it tells me anti-pinch not learned. I hit continue and it tells me to put the key in lock (mind you i have to force the key position under service to get it to on) and if i cant hit exit for possinle block reasons. I hit that and it says speed below 5 km/h ok, ism k-line ok, CIM decision blocking.

After thats all done I have 18 DTC's: b0193, b3001, b2996, b2652, p2176, p0638, u2155 is listed twice, u2103, c0131, b2698, b2585, b2915, b1445, u1501, b3598, b3700, b1440.

The last 6 are CIM faults so i assume those are the ones i need to focus on. Especially b1440 saying ISM internal fault. Could that just mean its dead and to replace?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sounds like someone has tryed swapping some parts without a tech 2, maybe why it was at auction..
Maybe tryed swapping ecu without marrying to car?
I got a lot of these faults when I accidentally got my ecus mixed up and installed the wrong one
. When I put the correct one in and cleared the codes using tech2 the steering lock fault went away.

And ....to quote Aerojon, cause i'm sure he's getting tired of saying it..
Fill out your profile "
Put your car and where you are etc. It really does help the smart guys on this forum, who use their own time to helps us idiots out, to know what market and model your car is

·
Super Moderator
18,977 Posts
Clear them all off and see what sticks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea. Ill clear it all tonight and see what it does. I did fill in the info but apparently it didn't take. I added it now! Ill update the thread with the results. Thanks guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So these are the 4 that stayed. Not worried about the lights right now of course. So possibly a bad throttle body and the same CIM code. Now that the ISM fault code isnt there, I am a little less hopeful. Any ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try check/clean connections on throttle control. Info- https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150104
Probably New globes in lights x2 (check connections if globes ok).
The last one is your CIM issue. There's a lot of threads on this one. Do a search for B1445 code. (steering column lock not working)
Yes to the lights comment above.

The fog and taillight code can either mean your bulbs are out, or if not, really clean the connections (a light sanding on contacts) and re-install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses guys. Im gunna try cleaning the throttle body and connections this weekend and i went ahead and ordered a new ISM. I cleaned my existing one and it did not fix the problem and i could tell a previous owner has been into it before so who knows. At least i will know that isnt the issue and it was only $117 shipped for a brand new one. Ill update more once i have something.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Download the WIS in the Tech2 section and you can use the fault trace troubleshooting for the fault code eg CIM B1445 01.
Step by step with simple MM for checking wiring and module functionality.........at least you should be able to eliminate stuff with luck.
There are quite a few steps........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update. Bad turns worse. I bought a new ISM and installed it. Nada. $100 to eliminate one thing isnt the worst thing in the world especially as the old one had pretty worn contacts. Maybe this weekend i will get into taking the steering wheel off and trouble shooting. The bad part is, i plugged in my tech 2 to see if there was any change in the ignition switch positions or voltages and my tech 2 is on the fritz. Wont get passed the system initializing screen and had a bunch of lines on it. Doesnt look good. Anyone ever had that happen to theirs before? It doesnt look like the box that is in the cables lights come on when the tech 2 is powered on

·
Super Moderator
18,977 Posts
My brain isn't working today but pull out the part at the bottom where the candi plugs in. It is held in with a sliding bar. Might be making bad contact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fiddled with the tech2 some tonight. While i thought the tech2 was dead, its not and im just not getting power to the OBD2 port. I powered it independently and it worked fine. Connecting to the car was intermittent. I could force the ignition position but now when i turn it to on to check DTCs the whole dash freaks out. Speedo starts vibrating, TCS and a whole bunch of other lights come on. Nuts.

Im thinking i might have DICE issues? Anyone care to weigh in? The sunroof has never worked and i have read its directly connected? This is all very new to me, why couldnt it have been mechanical issues

·
Super Moderator
18,977 Posts
battery voltage

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had some more time to mess with this and finally got a serial to usb adapter so i can get security access. Diggs you were correct with the battery being low so thabk you! Got it all charged back up. Fault tracing in WIS hasnt proved useful. I am going to try and reprogram some things as that is easier than tracing the harnesses like WIS suggests. If nothing works ill go that route.

Question 1: With knowing the previous owner sent off the CIM to get a new key programmed instead of adding the key him self, that has to be added back to the car correct?
Question 2: With security access i can reprogram it but if the ISM wont turn, how can i reprogram it?

Im also going to try adding the keys as well to see if that does anything. Im going to be doing trying these tonight after work, mainly i am just trying to keep this thread updated with what i have tried as well as get input on questions i have before i try something and it doesnt work to save time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So here are my discoveries. Having trouble getting the TIS2000 software to work as the only computers I have are windows 10. Wont let me run it unless I install IE 4... yikes. It then tries to download IE 4 and fails. I have browsed through some of the thread talking about getting it to work on windows 7 and later but have not found a solution yet. Ill keep trying on that.

However I tried adding the keys and the CIM with the Tech2 anyways. Normally it does not allow me to turn the key past lock, however when I click on add key or CIM, when it asks me to turn key to on position, it turns. It starts going through the process but when it gets to the security access line instead of asking me to get it, it gives me a negative response error 7f 1a 22 did 3f scode.c, line 676. I did some digging on that and cant find a definitive issue causing it. I also got an error for no comm to the ECU. Battery is fully charged so maybe there is a harness issue. When I check security access status, I get an error halfway through.

I will check my harness connections and clean them up. In the mean time, if anyone has any ideas what else to check it will be greatly appreciated. I have been in contact with a SAAB tech that is pretty reasonable and seems pretty knowledgeable. If I cant figure it out I may have to turn it over to him. I can usually troubleshoot things like this, but with no knowledge of what has or hasnt been done to the car, its hard to nail it down. Especially in a complicated system I have not used before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts