SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a Saab 9-5 2.0t which cuts out whenever it feels like it! It runs great for a few days then it has a few days where it will cut out unexpectedly and mostly at speed. When it cuts out I lock the gearshift and remove the keys. Get out of the car and lock with the key and unlock. I get back into the car and it starts straight away and will run for hours. It will not start first thing in a morning unless I do the lock trick and its fine for a few hours then it cuts out later on. It has had a brand new CPS and all pipework has been checked. If anyone can help that would be great. I plugged my ELM327 cable in and used OBDwiz, PCMscan, Scanmaster ELM and nothing works. I'm not sure what protocol it is. I think all my problems may be relay related? Could I be right?

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
What model year is your car? Based on that you can be better assisted. Have you used the ELM327 adapter on other vehicles successfully?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 1999 Saab 9-5 2.0t SE. Yeah I use it on all of my families vehicles with no problems which has kind of got me stumped.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Is your car starting to run rough at higher revs after starting the engine in cold weather? If so, you may have a tired battery. That's what happened to me this weekend. We'd been chasing random OBD2 error codes, none of them lead anywhere, and then after filling up the car at the gas station Friday the starter just clicked instead restarting the car. At that point we realized that the odd errors had been caused by a tired battery. Fuel injection computers and injectors don't like voltage droops. We got a new battery and everything is better.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago on my old gray 900S. So, take your car to Sears and get the battery and charging system checked for free.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I forgot to mention that the drivers door actuator doesn't work with the fob so all doors lock apart from the drivers door with the fob. If you lock with the key it all works. Could this be my problem? I use ELM327 v1.2 so that could be why. I will try again later. I have fixed a broken vacuum hose today that was tucked away out of site. Goes on the crankcase plastic nipple which has broken off but nothing a bit clue won't fix!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Did the Vac line connection solve the cutting off issue? For the key fob; you're saying when you get out of the car and close all doors the remote won't lock the drivers door only? But with the door closed; the key in the cylinder is the only way you can lock the drivers and other doors?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have just been out for a long run in the car and it hasn't cut out at all but it has done that before. The drivers door does not lock with the fob but the others do. If you put the key in the door and turn it all the doors lock as normal.

·
Registered
435 Posts
In cases like that...

... the Saab diagnostic computer known as Tech II handled by someone well trained to its use could identify the source(s) of your problems.

Some Saabs slowly become possessed by an invisible Poltergeist Scandinavian Elfe and those Saabs then require Saab Shamanistic cleansing. Very few diagnostician pass the test when the Spirit enters in play. Make offerings, preferably first-borns or nubile virgins, and it may go away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have narrowed it down to the Boost Control Valve. I tested resistance and it is 0.01. What is the correct resistance. It only has 2 pins as it is a trionic 7. Any help would be a bonus. I took it off and gave it a clean out and when I put it back on the cutting out was worse. Couldn't even set off in 1st without it cutting out. it cuts at 4000rpm which to me suggests overboost and fuel cut off. should i replace the BCV and see what happens?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have narrowed it down to the Boost Control Valve. I tested resistance and it is 0.01. What is the correct resistance. It only has 2 pins as it is a trionic 7. Any help would be a bonus. I took it off and gave it a clean out and when I put it back on the cutting out was worse. Couldn't even set off in 1st without it cutting out. it cuts at 4000rpm which to me suggests overboost and fuel cut off. should i replace the BCV and see what happens?
just bypass it all together and run strictly off manifold
Instructions can be found here: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206993

1 - 12 of 12 Posts