SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Today I finally became a Saab owner after years of coveting and waiting on my old car to die. I purchased a one-owner 1996 9000 CS that came with a detailed service history and all of the records. I am here hoping for any advice on how to keep my new car maintained so it lasts me for at least 113,000 more miles!

This is the work that has been completed so far on the vehicle!

- New NGK Plugs
- Oxygen sensor swap
- Transmission leak repaired
- Suspension bearing & Strut support replaced
- New Battery
- New center muffler
- New air pressure regulator
- New muffler
- Turbo waste gate adjusted
- Engine decarbon/fuel lins cleaned
- Serpentine belt replaced
- Head gasket/head milled
- Thermostat replaced
- Water pump replaced
- Replaced serpentine belt (again?) and idler pully
- Tail pipe section replaced
- Replaced injector "O" rings
- Tightened manifold
- Replaced front pipe before resonator and exhaust rear pipe
- New CV joing (passenger side) and new direct igniton module
- New ignition switch
- New rear shocks
- New idle pully, tensioner, dampner, and belt
- New flex pipe
- New power steering pump

While I know what the majority of this work means I'm not entirely what every single thing is. I was a bit worried that the car had so much work done to it but I guess it was done over 16 years.

Any advice that any forum regulars may have would be hugely appreciated! I look forward to becoming a part of the community as well :) Also if you are from CT I would appreciate a recommendation for a mechanic in Fairfield County!

·
Registered
953 Posts
I was a bit worried that the car had so much work done to it
You're new to Saabs all right. :p

Don't fear extensive service histories. If you hear "It hasn't needed anything", then run away.

Expect to do the heater core and blower motor in the not too distant future.

It's great that the head gasket has been done. At what mileage was it replaced? Was the timing hardware updated at the same time?

Then there is the front suspension:
-Struts and bearings
-Ball joints
-Control arm bushings

Changing any of these will require an alignment, so consider doing all of them at once.

The crank sensor and fuel pump may fail soon, and these can leave you stranded.

I didn't see fuel/air/cabin filters in your list. You may want to check them.

Also check that your PCV hardware is working properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The head gasket was replaced around 72k miles and the car is currently at 114k miles.

I hope the fuel pump doesn't go too soon as that was the reason I got rid of my last car haha.

The cabin filter was replaced as well I double checked the list and saw that there!

Thanks for the advice and I will definitely keep these things in mind. I'm preparing to take it to my mechanic in the near future who I just found out is Saab certified so he can look it over and point anything out as well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
guidance

hi.one thing you might like to have as spare is the DIC. these vary in price from $US199 to $US550+shipping. if you are mechanically minded then maybe the expense of a TECH2, various prices on ebay and other sites--www.greebid.com has a special at the moment$US499.99+$US129shipping.you get to have two info cards(choice of opel, GM(US), saab, isuzu, suzuki and (if you're in australia, I am) holden.the extra cards are $US39.99 free shipping.i have an aftermarket DIC in at the moment('94 manual) its done about 12000miles(16,000kms) and no probs---for all you naysayers of chinese products.also very important.change the oil and the filter about every 8,000 to 10,000miles.filters are cheap---engines are expensive. fuel pumps are on ebay and reasonably inexpensive.also check the belt for running true sometimes the idler can be off centre and the belt chews out. love that car.cheers

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Oil change with full synthetic oil is a good move. Brake fluid should be flushed and replaced every 2-3 years, high humidity means flush every 2 years. Coolant likewise.

Fuel pumps rarely fail. Since you have a new DI cassette you won't need a spare for quite some time. They last well unless the engine overheats, probably what happened to yours from the list of work. Overheating is the number one cause of head gasket failure which often also takes out the DI cassette shortly thereafter. Failure to replace the thermostat every two years when the coolant gets flushed and renewed is a primary cause of overheating.

Crank position sensor is cheap and easy to diagnose. Hard starting or stumbling after the engine is fully warmed up are dead giveaways. They rarely fail completely, you get some warning.

Serpentine accessory drive belt is durable but the idler/ tensioner pulley bearing is a known weakness. If you hear any rattling at idle get that checked and replaced.

My Aero is at 230,000 km which is pushing 140,000 miles. I've owned it for 90,000 miles. My 1986 went over 300,000 km or 180,000 miles and lasted 20 years before it was totaled in a minor parking lot accident. Frankly, the total loss due to a minor accident is the most likely risk of loss you face!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I buy my DI cassettes at U-pull for $25. (requires patience)

I recommend always carrying one of those and a fuel pump.

·
Registered
261 Posts
GONZOTHEORY....You will find this bunch of holigans at this site to be very generous with great advice, great tips, etc. There is no such thing as a dumb question, and as far as I have been able to tell, there isn't anything that they don't know....even down to the structural molecular mass difference of all the paint codes available! So maybe my nose is growing just a little, but I really don't doubt that someone could come up with the answer.
My experience with the Saabs that I have owned and the 9000 Aero that I am currently having an affair with, is that to completely enjoy your experience with yours, it helps to be obsessive about maintenence. A Saab is the kind of vehicle that one should anticipate possible problems to "nip them in the bud".
For example, the crank sensor; at first blush it may look like a job for a shop to do, but once you figure out its location and how to get there, it really is quite easy.
We all hope that you are as happy with your 9000 as we are with ours.
Allen Jackson
LIFE IS SHORT, EAT DESSERT FIRST

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Gonzo, yesterday I looked at a somewhat similar '96 CS , 200K plus miles,($1100)....no repair/maintenance records '96 thru '09.....Yours is 10,000 times better..do I exaggerate??:evil:..but is very dependent on the quality of work...
Almost all the replaced items are normal for an American or Euro car ! We do have our QC problems...I do not know if this "gap" is closing or not.
Honda
Mercedes
Saab
Chevrolet
IMO, in this order, quality only

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Hello!

Today I finally became a Saab owner after years of coveting and waiting on my old car to die. I purchased a one-owner 1996 9000 CS that came with a detailed service history and all of the records. I am here hoping for any advice on how to keep my new car maintained so it lasts me for at least 113,000 more miles!

This is the work that has been completed so far on the vehicle!

- New NGK Plugs..................................Regular maintenance, all cars
- Oxygen sensor swap............................even Hondas
- Transmission leak repaired......................a weakness:cry::(
- Suspension bearing & Strut support replaced..another
- New Battery................................................every 3-4 years
- New center muffler...................................every 7 to 10 years
- New air pressure regulator...................price of emissions/performance
- New muffler.........................7 to 10
- Turbo waste gate adjusted.........
- Engine decarbon/fuel lins cleaned...performance/emissions ??
- Serpentine belt replaced
- Head gasket/head milled........p/e again
- Thermostat replaced
- Water pump replaced.....I use anti-rust, still on the original
- Replaced serpentine belt (again?) and idler pully....weakness?
- Tail pipe section replaced
- Replaced injector "O" rings
- Tightened manifold
- Replaced front pipe before resonator and exhaust rear pipe
- New CV joing (passenger side) and new direct igniton module
- New ignition switch.....same here, another weakness:(
- New rear shocks
- New idle pully, tensioner, dampner, and belt....every 50K or so
- New flex pipe
- New power steering pump........new rack for me, but the same old pump

While I know what the majority of this work means I'm not entirely what every single thing is. I was a bit worried that the car had so much work done to it but I guess it was done over 16 years. IMO, not really excessive....

Any advice that any forum regulars may have would be hugely appreciated! I look forward to becoming a part of the community as well :) Also if you are from CT I would appreciate a recommendation for a mechanic in Fairfield County! You may be lucky to find one in the entire state !:cheesy: [/QUOTE]
Probably the best of the better forums..:cheesy:
We all dream of perfection...100K miles NO maintenance of any kind......achievable....but not today or tomorrow
Adversity helps
DIY

1 - 9 of 9 Posts