SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm Kyle. I just bought a used '99 9-5 with manual trans.
First simple question... how can I verify the trim level? Base, or SE?
She seems to have a lot of SE options (like powered sun roof), but it has the MT as well. Previous (second) owner wasn't sure, but thought it was a base.

My first big concern is engine sludge. I did verify that my 9-5 has the PCV system upgrade (at least, according to Trionic 7's youtube video, since my oil filler tube has a PCV system tube going into the back of it, it's the newer system). Is that a for sure way to verify?

I will pull the valve cover this week and see what I see. I am considering dropping the pan as well, and that prompts a question for you Saab tech's out there:

Is it easier/safer/better to lower the sub-frame or to raise the trans to get the pan out in a manual trans car? I've seen videos using each method but they did not specify if it was an MT or AT in either video.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi, I'm Kyle. I just bought a used '99 9-5 with manual trans.
First simple question... how can I verify the trim level? Base, or SE?
She seems to have a lot of SE options (like powered sun roof), but it has the MT as well. Previous (second) owner wasn't sure, but thought it was a base.

My first big concern is engine sludge. I did verify that my 9-5 has the PCV system upgrade (at least, according to Trionic 7's youtube video, since my oil filler tube has a PCV system tube going into the back of it, it's the newer system). Is that a for sure way to verify?

I will pull the valve cover this week and see what I see. I am considering dropping the pan as well, and that prompts a question for you Saab tech's out there:

Is it easier/safer/better to lower the sub-frame or to raise the trans to get the pan out in a manual trans car? I've seen videos using each method but they did not specify if it was an MT or AT in either video.
I believe if you look up a saab vin decoder online it says what trim level you are at, but I don't remember for sure. As for the other questions, the sludge will mainly be in the oil pan because of the proximity of the exhaust to the pan. It will be "dirty" under the valve cover, but in all the saab's I have taken off the valve cover, there wasn't really any sludge to speak of. When I removed the pan on the 9-5 I am working on now, I jacked the engine up with a hoist and removed some engine mounts. A bit of a pain in the butt to get to a couple of the bolts but it is doable. But that is with an automatic trans like I have, the manual might be different. If interested I do have a playlist on YouTube about the entire rebuild.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so this is now a third method to get the pan out. Good to know. Would rather avoid disturbing this 20 old tranny and engine as much as possible. I'm hoping the partial sub frame removal trick will work on mine. It seems the least invasive/risky.
Yes, I'm very interested to see how you did it in your car, please post links! Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts