SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I picked up some long-life turbo oil from saab. It struck me as odd, as the part number is different 12 801 563

Also, the bottle looks different than what I thought it would. The bottle looks similar to this one, found on the German M1 site:

except that the bottle was bluish (same exact shape though), and smooth on the sides.

I don't know what the differences are, as supposedly saabh was stopping importation of saab oil to the US. Maybe this is something new that they managed to begin importing again, so that M1 0w-40 isnt what they use???

This oil is 0w-30, and approved for GM-LL-A-025, ACEA A1/A5 and API SL. It suprised me that it wasnt A3 rated, as I thought these cars need an A3 oil (though A5 is the ACEA extended drain spec). The sticker states that it exceeds all technical requirements for saab gasoline engines with catalytic converters, and is designed especially for oils with extended oil change intervals.

My oil life is at about 50%, so Ill be taking some as an analysis sample, and also be replacing the filter, if I can.

JMH

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Your dealer still had this stuff? All US dealers are switching over to Mobil 1 0W-40 when their Saab oil runs out. I would call your dealer back, and see how many they have left. I would rather use the Saab oil (Euro Mobil 1 0W-30 LL) then the 0W-40.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, I might do like people on BITOG do for GC and buy up a little collection.

Actually, Im working on a contact to get elf 5 and 0w-30 GM-LL-A and B spec oils here in the USA.

Nothing wrong with the M1 0w-40 but the ELF is smething a little different.

JMH

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe Ill be able to get the evolution sxr 5w-30 for $7.90/L in 1 and 5L amounts.

A little pricey, but Ill see. Ill get back on this one.

JMH

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh wait, got it wrong.

I can get evolution SXR 5w-30, but its only an ACEA A3/B3/A5/B5 oil. NOT GM-LL-A-025 oil.

So thats useless.

Its the evolution 0w-30 that is GM-LL-A-025 oil.

Actually the one that would be best for us, IMO, is the Excellium GM 5w-30, which is A3/B3/B4 (not A5/B5), bit is GM-LL-A AND B rated. This MAY mean that it is more shear stable, since the B rating is good for 50k km. It is a bit heavier on the 30wt scale (11.8, as opposed to 9.6 Cst at 100C), though the TBN is lower (10.8 vs. 12.8).

If I do find a source for OUR oil, Ill post it here.

JMH

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Thanks for that site. I emailed them to see how much for a case of the ELF. Mobil just discontinued the 0W-30 racing oil. It didn't meet the GM spec anyway.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think this is the chart that needs to be looked at. It is from total fina elf themselves, not a distributor or salesperson.

http://www.lubadmin.com/Restitution.aspx?Marque=3&Famille=4&Type=2&Language=1&Site=4&Parametre1=2http://www.lubadmin.com/Restitution.aspx?Marque=2&Famille=4&Type=2&Language=1&Site=4&Parametre1=2

From the parent site:

http://www.lubricants.elf.comhttp://www.lubricants.total.com (click on products and services, passenger cars, product range, then on 'engines')

From the company's product sheets, evolution SXR 0w-30 and excellium GM 5w-30 are the oils that carry the GM-LL-A-025 spec. None of the others (though all the oils carry excellent manufacturer specs).

I believe the evolution SXR 0w-30 is used factory fill or at least for EPA testing. It is very light and ought to eek out max MPG. It is also NOT A3 rated, so may be the same as what saab re-bottled and sold as their turbo LL oil.

If we can get that stuff here in the US, great! Even the excellium 5w-30 would be fine by me. So long as it carries the GM-LL approval, Im happy.

I must say again that the M1 0w-40 is an excellent oil.

JMH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts