SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! First post. :)

Well, we are looking at a 2002 9-5 Wagon Linear. The car has 120K miles, and is for sale, at a Saab dealership, for $6,000. Does this sound like a good deal? The car is super clean, and all maintence has been done to it. The car looks really, really nice. So, this being our first Saab, what do you people think about the car? Sound like a good deal? Anything to look out for with the wagons?:D

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Hello first post!

Well get a cup of tea sit at your PC and read through lots of stuff on here especially the FAQ's at the top of the Saab 9-5 Workshop page ;)

You will soon know more than the seller ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
That would be extremely brave of you! I dumped mine with 56K. Looks great too. But what a POS! May it's only by my own standards ...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
dimasin said:
That would be extremely brave of you! I dumped mine with 56K. Looks great too. But what a POS! May it's only by my own standards ...
Anything constructive to add?

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
dimasin said:
one guy has a bad experience... and suddenly the whole brand is crap and no one should ever buy the product :roll:

Obviously not a saab person

BinahSaab said:
Hello! First post. :)

Well, we are looking at a 2002 9-5 Wagon Linear. The car has 120K miles, and is for sale, at a Saab dealership, for $6,000. Does this sound like a good deal? The car is super clean, and all maintence has been done to it. The car looks really, really nice. So, this being our first Saab, what do you people think about the car? Sound like a good deal? Anything to look out for with the wagons?:D
Anyways, dont let that fool scare you, when taken care of properly, saabs are reliable, and the driving aspect is amazing. Have you test driven it yet? That will seel the deal. :cool:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
BinahSaab said:
Are the wagons known to be "sluggish"?
Sorry ;oops:

What do you mean? :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, wait, I figured my own question. Sorry. :( Anyways, do the 9-5 Wagons come with a CD changer or a standard 1-disk CD player?

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have had my saab for only about a month and love it! took it on its first road trip last weekend and all is well. its an 01 with 85k miles on it. first thing i did was i changed the oil to get full synthetic in it cause the previous owner didnt or so she says, but her son drove the car. its fast, sleek, luxurious, and i love everything about it. we bought it for town driving for my wife but i drive it more cause i love the speed. just drive one and you will be hooked like we were

·
Registered
222 Posts
I bought the wife a 2004 9-5 Arc 2.3T Wagon with 50K miles on it from a dealership about a month ago. She and I (and the stepson) love the car. I have to keep the kid from driving it because he loves it too much. It's a totally safe car, but I think it's too tempting once you get on the throttle. We gave him the 2003 Forester to drive. Much more sluggish, just what he needs to get some experience under his belt.

I would say as long as ALL regular maintenance has been done and you have records for it, go for it. Keep in mind the Linear has a bit less power, and I think the 2002 was subject to the infamous "sludge" issue that you'll read about elsewhere, but as long as regular maintenance was performed, it shouldn't be a problem. Just do the checks that the sludge thread suggests *before* you buy it.

Also, forget about the dealership unless you have a really good one nearby. Find a good local mechanic that knows the car inside & out.

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/faq/service/

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the great help! :)

We are actually looking to buy the car for our 17 year old son. To us, the car has the room, safety, gas mileage, features and the "coolness" feature. Luckily, the car isnt THAT powerful. So, what do you think? Is this a good car for him? We feel very lucky that we found such a great, clean car!

·
Registered
236 Posts
boon94 said:
one guy has a bad experience... and suddenly the whole brand is crap and no one should ever buy the product :roll:
Well, make that two ;) lol, I personally would not buy another Saab...but at least spend the extra money and look for an Aero. Also, if you are in LA take the car to Walter Wong at Right Solution Saab and have him look at it. He is truly a Saab genius!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I went with a certified pre-owned only because I worry about things going wrong with a used car. I'd say if you're concerned about safety, this is a great car for the 17yo. Mileage is pretty good too, yes.

The one thing I think you'd ever have to worry about this car is repairs. It seems like there are 9-5s people want (one-owner, dealer serviced), and 9-5s people stay away from (see many on Ebay, picked up at auction).

You said "all maintenance has been done for it." Before you purchase it, what does that mean? Was it bought at this dealership? Serviced at this dealership? How do you know all maintenance has been done? Is this something the sales guy is just telling you, or can he back it up?

This is key. If they can prove all maintenance has been done, sounds good. If not, I'd walk away. There are PLENTY of 9-5s out there to choose from, particularly Linears and Arcs. You WILL be able to find one that has been serviced at the same dealer that is selling it. I think that's worth waiting for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello! Great!

Yes, the car was sold at the dealership, servuces there, and traded in at the same dealership. Yes, the salesman has ALL document's for the service. Should we be concered with the mileage?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sounds good. As for the mileage, I wouldn't think you'd have anything more to worry about than any other car with that kind of mileage. There are certainly people here on the forum with 9-5s with higher miles than that. Perhaps they'll chime in. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts