SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, these OEM rotors were just crap! Time for the scrap pile... Hard to believe they were all rotted this bad. Probably only 50% pad contact on the inside edges...

I completely disassembled the calipers as they are easier to paint that way. Used the G2 paint system as it has always held up great for me on other vehicles. Bought the cross-drilled and plated rotors on Ebay for $220 for all 4 with ceramic pads. Very happy with the deal! :cheesy:

Rear setup...

New front setup...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the finished looking product... Very happy with this!!! ;ol;

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And a full shot after a wash and wax!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice job ... did you have to sand down the rust on the calipers ?
Thanks guys, I'm definitely very happy with the results of the project!

No, sanding isn't necessary. I did a lot of wire-brushing though and there is a large can of brake-cleaner included that you do the final rinse clean before applying paint. I had a small detail wire brush about twice the size of a toothbrush that helped a lot also... Use a dust particle mask and fan to ventilate the work area well! ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a couple pics I had taken before the painting...

If you chose to do this, always support your vehicle well with sturdy jackstands. Never work under a car with just a jack or makeshift blocking that could tip. It's not worth risking your life!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great Idea

:cool: I like the subtle but eye catching idea. I subcribed to this thread so that when it's my time to do the brake job i'll know where I will be getting my inspiration.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! This was the 1st mod I did to my Chevy HHR SS also and it really dressed it up nice! Also got rid of that annoying grinding, scraping sound also due to the constant rust build up on cheap OEM rotors!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
124 Posts
My approach to these low cost Ebay parts is to be very cautious. Remember, you typically get exactly what you pay for, so buyer beware. I'm not trying to single out any particular seller or make a judgement.

Under normal circumstances, an ebay brake merchant would need to buy cheap blank rotors, factor in machining/coating costs, add in some low cost no-name pads, factor in shipping costs and then still make a profit... If you do the math, you can make an educated guess as to the quality of what you are buying. For some, this may fit the bill perfectly, for others, not so much.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I agree with you Deepblue! You have to be very selective when you buy online, and do your share of homework. They were recommended to me by another friend who is very adept in his auto mechanics. I am not a big fan of buying imported parts, but it is hard to find parts for a reasonable price that are NOT anymore. In my opinion, these rotors are superior to the OEM ones that were on there for sure! Not happy with GM lately for their choice in suppliers...

The plating on the rotors should certainly help hold of the rust for some time, bought these for (3) vehicles already. Been on my Tahoe the longest, about 2 years with minimal surface rust. This seller seems to rotate through various ceramic pad suppliers, HHR was PowerStop and these were Centric brand. Never heard of them, but so far so good though...

Again, if I had an unlimited $ supply and this was a newer BMW or something, I would probably make a different choice. For this vehicle though, I was considering overall value, type of driving and length of anticipated ownership. Everyone needs to make their own assessment of these things though for sure! ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Actually, Centric ceramic pads are pretty decent...

I'm no fan of GM parts. I'm currently running Centric Power-slot slotted rotors and Akebono pads on my 9-7. The coating is still holding up after 15 months.

My experience with another ebay seller a few years ago (different vehicle) was not so good. The drilling was made randomly and hit a number of the vanes running through the blank rotor which compromised the structural integrity. This led to premature warping of the rotors.

I wish you well and hope they work out. Take care.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fantastic! Glad to hear of your good luck with Centric rotors! ;ol;

I know what you mean about inferior machining and poor materials. I am a Tool and Die Maker by trade so I am very particular about these things! It reminded me when you mentioned about the cross-drilled rotors that I once machined a set myself. I even modeled up the complete OEM Cadillac rotor on my CAD software so I was sure I had the spacing correct for the vanes, and that the hole pattern hit the pads properly. Here is the link to that original post.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-cross-drilling-rotors-painting-calipers.html

It took a bit, but I thought was a fun exercise for me in CAD/CAM and saved me the cost of new rotors! ;)

You take care too, and Merry Christmas!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts