SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
Trying to figure out the best combo for sport rims.and low profile tires...I ended up getting a 2003 9-3 for $1000 that had been stored for years but needs new rubber...so I'm figuring do both at the same time...any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
Is the 2003 a convertible (OG9-3) or sedan (NG9-3)? I assume probably a sedan.

What do you count as low profile? 17"? 18"?

Do you want to go with OEM rims, or aftermarket?

What is your budget?

If you are not mr moneybags, what is your tolerance for driving a car that might shake at 110 km/h due to bent wheels?

In my experience, used OEM Saab wheel sets inevitably have one or two (or all!) rims with dents. I don't know what the heck happened, like does everyone run into a curb?

Really good sets of rims will run you money. Bigger than 17" are very rare.

You might want to look for other vehicles that share the 5x110 bolt circle and hub diameter; Saturn and some Pontiacs and Malibus?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks. LP tires I've always thought of as 50 or 60 series tires...its a sedan so was going to use aftermarket rims...budget was a couple hundred a rin without rubber.
I heard the same thing about used rims which was why I was thinking AM rims. I'll dig around and see what's a 5 bolts that fits.

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
Well, assuming you have a sedan and therefore a "new generation" 9-3, the normal stock 16" rims carry 215/55 tires. (The very basest of these cars came with 15" rims, but they would be quite rare.)

17" rims on these cars call for 225/45 or 235/45 series tires, that sounds plenty low profile for you.

For what it's worth, I'm going with 16" rims for my 9-3. After looking for a decent set of used rims, I ordered actual new rims through Nordicspeed.com in Vancouver. I do have a set of 17" rims that I was going to use, but won't be. Two of the rims need some straightening, however they are not too beat up. If you are interested and in the Toronto area, let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
"Awesome thanks. LP tires I've always thought of as 50 or 60 series tires...its a sedan so was going to use aftermarket rims...budget was a couple hundred a rin without rubber."
Hello, Zerofoxtrotgolf! If you're looking for aftermarket rims (or even tires), then you may be interested in these wheel and tire packages. You may choose which size would work best for you, for such an affordable price too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for the reply. I ended up getting some spoked riims and 50 series...I'm old and thought that 50 series were still LP now I know that 30s are low...Ended up that I'll be selling it as I had a once in a live time chance to get a 1971 911 from a customer of mine which is my birth year so I'll probably sell this one...no room for 2 cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts