SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 Linear and I was wondering if I could switch out my stock radio/cd player with some alternate type with an AUX.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think it does not work because the 9-3 till the facelift have the radio connections via Fiber Optic. But there are options to get an Aux connected. Search the forum.
Also in case you don't know:
The Saab 9-3 came with an optional Aux input which is NOT at the front of the stereo but in the center console. Just mentioning this because I have seen questions like this before and people did not know that their car had an Aux input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well you see, my CD player recently broke. I think one of the gears broke on the mechanism that ejects the disc. When I press the eject button I just hear a "plasticy" grinding noise from inside and the disc wont pop out. So I just really want a new CD player.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Well you see, my CD player recently broke. I think one of the gears broke on the mechanism that ejects the disc. When I press the eject button I just hear a "plasticy" grinding noise from inside and the disc wont pop out. So I just really want a new CD player.
you cannot swap it out for another besides the stock unit because of the fiberoptic system. you can add aux in (do a search there is a guide it is pretty easy to do). you need a dealer/indie with tech2 for both jobs (to marry the cd player and to enable auxin)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
i dont understand why everyone says you cant put an aftermarket radio in. you can 100% swap in an aftermarket radio. there is no dash kits for our cars so that would all have to be custom. you would need to keep the fiber optics all connected for the audio system to work though, and that turns most people away from doing a swap. if all you want is an aux input then add the aux and get it tech 2'ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
im sorry i have to disagree with the can not install another due to the fiber optics. I have a 2003 9-3 and i have an after market radio installed. I don't recommend anyone doing it but i did. I pulled out all the wires out and connected it wire to wire to the after market stereo and i just covered the fiber optics. it works fine nothing wrong with the car. Just a few things that will not work.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
i dont understand why everyone says you cant put an aftermarket radio in. you can 100% swap in an aftermarket radio. there is no dash kits for our cars so that would all have to be custom. you would need to keep the fiber optics all connected for the audio system to work though, and that turns most people away from doing a swap. if all you want is an aux input then add the aux and get it tech 2'ed
people have done it before but yeah it isn't a normal DIN slot and won't fit right. also you have to find a way to keep the stock radio plugged in. more of a pia then it is worth imho. I'm working on getting a galaxy tab 7 and fabricating a mount for it over the radio and have it kind of look like the bmw navigation

·
Registered
256 Posts
I guess getting another used Saab unit (ebay or other sources) may be the easiest solution.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You do not need a tech 2 session to swap your CD player. A like-kind unit is plug n play. If you change to a multi or single from existing set-up then Tech 2 is necessary. Try BBA reman.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts