SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the same experience with aftermarket radios? I just had a Pyle CD/Tape combo player installed in my 1999 9-3. Everything is fine except for the steering wheel controls (volume, seek, etc). They don't work anymore.

I looked at the wiring diagram and it doesn't seem to have wires for that. I guess this radio doesn't allow this feature.

Are there aftermarket radios that do?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't think it's possible to make them work at all. Although I saw few posts here about some adaptor or something someone had for Sony, but as far as I remember it also failed. I'm a bit scared to sniff too much around that since they are all connected to that damn SRS clockspring, and I already burned my fingers (pocket) on that once.
Speaking of that combo, is it double DIN? I have CD/MD combo which I'm too lazy to install and it's 2-DIN, how did you fitted yours? Can you post some pictures?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Most of the aftermarker HU's I have looking into haven't allowed the continued use of steering wheel controls. Maybe some of the high end ones do, but much $$$

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marquis de Saab said:
I don't think it's possible to make them work at all. Although I saw few posts here about some adaptor or something someone had for Sony, but as far as I remember it also failed. I'm a bit scared to sniff too much around that since they are all connected to that damn SRS clockspring, and I already burned my fingers (pocket) on that once.
Speaking of that combo, is it double DIN? I have CD/MD combo which I'm too lazy to install and it's 2-DIN, how did you fitted yours? Can you post some pictures?
I got it installed by an audio store. All I know is that I had to buy an adapter that connects all my radio's wires to the car, and a new antenna mast because the "weird European" one (as they put it) didn't match the new radio.

I got a look at the adapter and it looked pretty straight forward. The wires matched the different colors of the radio wires, and it was a single connector. I'm happy with my new radio, which also plays mp3 files off the CD. Unfortunately, the FM reception in my area hasn't improved.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ISO Connector

You are talking about ISO connectors.
A standard in the UK at least for quite a few years.
Makes changing stereo's dead easy as all connectors are the same.
I have just removed the clarion I put in last year which was a US model. Sheesh, the wiring was a nightmare. the Blaupunkt (bar DAB aerial) was a sinch.
There are some extender leads too which you can buy so that if you want to put a crossover in as I did, I don't have to damage the original wiring loom and can put the original kit back in.
For cars which are too early, there are many adaptors that will work with the cars connectors and converts them to ISO.

As for steering wheel control connectors, there are a couple of companies in the UK who seem to do some kits. One is connects2.com and the other is incartec.co.uk
The later have some Saab options and the lady I spoke to today is seeing if their Saab models are compatiable with the 9-3 (2001).
If their unit is compatiable, there is another connect I would need to buy which connects to that interface and the head unit. One lead is about 32 GBP, and the other lead is 5 GBP.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just to add my 2 pennies.

Fitting an aftermarket Sony stereo to my 1999 9-3 was a cinch. The only problem was that the wiring loom seemed to have the "always on" and ignition switched power leads the wrong way round - which meant that whilst the radio worked with the ignition on, it lost its memory every time the car was switched off.

I also bought the adapater to allow the steering wheel controls to work - this simply does not work - and I've tried everything!! The clock spring thing is a nightmare - and resulted in the SRS warning (and bing-bong) for about a week - until it reset itself.

The single din unit does look good - but I was very specifically looking for a non-silver and non flashy lights unit to merge with the simple dash of the Sabb. The accessory tray and metal bar - a total rip off @ £20, but is essential.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Alex,

I was refering to your case with a Sony in my first post on this thread, how convenient from you to drop by, I couldn't remember who was it. Speaking of that steering wheel controls adaptor, which one did you bought? I was thinking to get one for my Sony, but now that you confirmed again it doesn't work... hmm:roll: not to mention SRS "bling-blong" and 115$ I paid to make it stop :evil: !!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi there

Cant remember what adapter is was - after hours and hours of futile mucking around I chucked it in the bin!! It was the "official" adapter - and did fit into the jack plug on the back of the HU but the two other plugs - meant to fit onto the clock spring didn't woprk and over the various permutations either disabled the horn/Airbag. One permutation did allow me to adjust the volume (but transposed +ve and -Ve) but disabled the horn completely. Steer clear is the best advice I can give - my HU came with a IR remote which is not much better than pressing the buttons.

On another note - I do need to fit a ground-earth loop to stop the terrible engine noise interference between my IPOD and the stereo. I'm very proud of my install btw - will try and post some picces - but it does look as if the IPOD has been fitted professionally!!!

Finally - do not underestimate the improvement of a new HU versus the standard unit - my Sony is twice as loud and makes the sound far far better - the best investment I've made so far

·
Registered
59 Posts
Blaupunkt

Had no reply to my queries so far, but it maybe that Blaupunkt have their own adaptor. I am now awaiting more details from another supplier.

I went for the above for the DAB which is nice instead of a bad pickup on AM.

In the remaining gap, I have a pocket which I have adapted to take the satellite control from my Dension MP3 unit. It does the job, but sticks out a little so makes the cup holder a bit useless unless I pull it out.

I am going to get another satellite control and will try to adapt it to make it a neater finish.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Blaupunkt and steering controls

They have got back to me and told me that the adaptor they have will interface with the controls on my 2001 TiD.
got one on order.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh Yeah. It works.

The unit is a small box with a bank of 4 dip switches. You have to choose the correct option. From the box there is a small connector which goes to the back of the Blaupunkt head unit.
There is connector at the end of the box. To this connector there is a further a small connector goes which into the main wiring loom. Under the steering wheel is a couple of connectors. You simply unplug the grey one, connect this small adaptor and that is it.
Of course, running the cables is a bit of a problem, but string is a friend.

My thoughts are that the main box is identical no matter what the head unit or car contro. I guess the clever bit is the extra cable. I was dreading the connection as I was expecting to take the steering wheel off and so on.

Volume - err, well.
Src - scrolls through DAB, Radio, MMC, CD/MP3, AUX (if enabled)
Next - Next track, or saved radio station
Seek - on the radio is scans the channels, or the Ensemble (for DAB). on the MP3 and MMC it just scans the track / FFW.

I just hope that I can find a carhost for my Dension which makes it act like a Sony CD player. I can then get a connects 2 adaptor so that I can connect that to the Blaupunkt and it will act / work as if it was a Blaupunkt CD changer.

Result in my view.

Jules

1 - 13 of 13 Posts