SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have done lots of stuff to make my 9-3 go faster but as ragtopcav rightly pointed out, its all well and good making the car go faster but if you dont make it stop fast you could end up in trouble so i bought these today to address the situation :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Now lets all pay attention to see what you do with them...

I saw a pair on the US ebay and thought about it. Then I saw Nick Taliaferrow as bidding against me, I figured I'd give up and let them go to his good home...

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
:lol: good lad!

welcome to the big stoppers club.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but then you'll just need the caliper mounting brackets and the dust sheilds, both Viggen spec.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
stromer said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but then you'll just need the caliper mounting brackets and the dust sheilds, both Viggen spec.
the callipers are complete with mounting brackets in the picture; as for the dustshields, I merely encouraged them out of the way with a hammer.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep as raggy said i didnt need the caliper but they come complete with the yoke :roll: but what this now means is i can put the 9-3 front brakes on the vert which has the early bits on :)

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the caliper its self is the same, so the fluid displacement will be the same after the mod as before, so there is no need to mod the master cyl, if the new calipers had larger pistons then you may find the pedal travel extended

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
boxman said:
yep as raggy said i didnt need the caliper but they come complete with the yoke :roll: but what this now means is i can put the 9-3 front brakes on the vert which has the early bits on :)
don't forget you'll need to do something with the hub flange, the earlier one is about 3mm diameter bigger so the later 288mm disc though larger will not go on the car, worth it though, the 9-3 brakes have higher thermal capacity, larger pad surface and are made of a much better grade of metal.

Tweek, the difference with the servo and master cyl does not cause any issues, remember my 900 is one of the eldest yet I have this mod' considering I don't even have 200horses and I can give more powerful cars a run for there money on the circuit tells you something surely? [brakes that make you go faster ;) ] and such a cheap overall upgrade too.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
So given what I think you all said, those Viggen calipers could be a complete bolt on to the existing brackets. And they don't need any modifications to the master cylender. So what is the advantage again? Maybe I'm just numb?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
stromer said:
So given what I think you all said, those Viggen calipers could be a complete bolt on to the existing brackets. And they don't need any modifications to the master cylender. So what is the advantage again? Maybe I'm just numb?
bigger disc = more surface area to dissapate heat, and more capacity to take on heat (brakeing is mechanical motion (energy) changed into heat, when you brakes can't hold more heat, and get rid of it fast enough, no more stoppy since the conversion cannot take place no matter how hard you push on the pedal, this is called brake fade).

Also larger pads which means more friction surface. Clamping force will be the same since the piston is the same.

All in all, these would translate into a little more stopping power due to more friction area, and more resistance to fade due to thermal mass. What do those with these brakes think, what is bigger, fade resistance, or stopping power (which is most pronounced)?

Tboy

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also with the disc being 308mm dia there is more leverage on the disc so it needs less forse to get the same affect, a bit like undoing a tight bolt with a 12" lever instead of a 6" lever :D

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
boxman said:
also with the disc being 308mm dia there is more leverage on the disc so it needs less forse to get the same affect, a bit like undoing a tight bolt with a 12" lever instead of a 6" lever :D
Yep, didn't think about that one!

Tboy

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I said what is the advantage with the existing brackets, not with new discs. So the answer is the larger pad thing I guess.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
stromer said:
The calliper is the same for all 9-3's, the Viggen has a bigger rotor and therefore the calliper carrier need a longer reach to accomodate this, does this clarify?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
ragtopcav said:
The calliper is the same for all 9-3's
That's what I was getting at.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Stromer, I am still waiting on those calipers to arrive... :cry: They will go on one of our project cars. I have been working on some new brakes for my Viggen :cool: Just trying to figure out how much is needed without going overboard.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will these callipers fit a 97 GM900T with the 288mm discs, and if so how is the mod done?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Hey Nick, on a side note, The guy you bought your calipers from on ebay is the same guy who sold me my intercooler through ebay as well. I noticed you sent me an ebay message about him. Let me know if you still need contact info.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts