SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys.

I currently own a '95 BMW 325i and have owned Volvos for years before the Bimmer. The Bimmer is getting FAR too expensive to keep up, due to rust issues, bad parts, etc. It's no longer a joy to drive because I'm always worried I'll be dropping $1000 any given day to fix something.

Anyway, I'm interested in Saabs. Like I said, I've owned Volvos for years before I got the Bimmer (to be specific, an '89 744ti, a '94 850, a '97 S70, and a '91 744ti - all of which were great cars, except for the S70). I'd buy another Volvo but I truly want to try out Saabs. I know there's this rivalry that goes on between Volvo and Saab owners, but I honestly just want to know what you guys think would be a good first Saab, if I decide to go in that direction. I like the body style of the 9000, but I definitely want a 5-speed turbo model, whatever that would mean. My budget is probably around $5000 - not much more, but less is okay. Oh, and I'm in Denver, if anyone is around here and has any specific cars in mind they've seen for sale or whatnot.

Anyway, thanks for your time - and for excusing my lack of knowledge.

Best,

Michael

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Oh man, for 5000, you can most likely get yourself a real nice 9000. I have a '90 9000 CD 2.0 Turbo and I love it. I'd suggest getting yourself a 2.3 Turbo, a CSE or something. You'd probably prefer the hatchback, which, in my opinion, are better looking than the sedan. Anyway. I love my 9000, and if you get one, you'll love yours too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thoughts, man. Any common problems, between all 9000 series cars? I know each car typically has a range of years in which they were the "best" built and whatnot. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Well, make sure to check the head gasket. Those tend to blow on pretty much all 9000's. If you want top performance, check out the 9000 Aero series, they are the best, have all the options, and are the fastest. Make sure there aren't any major oil leaks, since they like to leak oil. Also, make sure that the turbo isn't about to blow either. Also, another common problem is the thermostat. It likes to get stuck. Just check to see if the previous owner has replaced it or not. If not, it's not a huge job to fix yourself. If you don't get the thermostat fixed if it's stuck, the car will overheat and most definitely blow that head gasket.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have 3 9k's, 2 94 and 1 95. All turbo and 5 speed. I also have 2 5 series, a 95 525 5 speed and a 95 540 I converted to 6 speed, and a Volvo 940 wagon. The Volvo is a dog. So is the 525, compared to the 9k turbo and the 540.

You cannot ask for more on a 13 year old car which gives you 200 horses and a flat maximum torque at 238 ft-lbs from 1,800 rpm to 4,500 rpm.

The 6 speed 540 will blow the 9k turbo away, but not by very much. Whereas the 9k turbo will eat the 525's, or even a 530's lunch easily.

A properly maintained 5 series has better reliability than the 9k. Just my own experience. The SAAB rust proofing is far superior than BMW and is second to none.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts