SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals.

I'm eligible for a phone upgrade from Cingular Wireless. I was thinking of getting something with bluetooth so that I can hook it up in the car (2005 9-3 linear). I'm not very familiar with how the technology works in the car. Do i need a seperate connector to get it to mute the speakers and use the car reciever to speak into? Do i have to buy something like Parrot Bluetooth on top of the bluetooth enabled phone for it to be connected. I will search the forums when i get some time, but if the basics can be answered here (as to what i need extra, and costs for these items) it would save a ton of time that I don't have much of. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
DMBeer41 said:
Hi guys and gals.

I'm eligible for a phone upgrade from Cingular Wireless. I was thinking of getting something with bluetooth so that I can hook it up in the car (2005 9-3 linear). I'm not very familiar with how the technology works in the car. Do i need a seperate connector to get it to mute the speakers and use the car reciever to speak into? Do i have to buy something like Parrot Bluetooth on top of the bluetooth enabled phone for it to be connected. I will search the forums when i get some time, but if the basics can be answered here (as to what i need extra, and costs for these items) it would save a ton of time that I don't have much of. Thanks!
05's already have a cable prewired and tucked under the side of the console on the passenger side. You need to get a Saab cell phone connector harness from Saabcatalog.com, it will plug into that connector behind the console. then you get a cellphone cradle holder from saab, mount that on the side of the console and pull the harness thru it.
Then get a cingular phone with a cradle. attach the cradle to the saab cradle holder, you will need to wire the cradle to the saab harness:
match up: constant positive, ground, switched positive, mute, speaker plus/minus, microphone plus/minus and vola you are set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
schernov said:
05's already have a cable prewired and tucked under the side of the console on the passenger side. You need to get a Saab cell phone connector harness from Saabcatalog.com, it will plug into that connector behind the console. then you get a cellphone cradle holder from saab, mount that on the side of the console and pull the harness thru it.
Then get a cingular phone with a cradle. attach the cradle to the saab cradle holder, you will need to wire the cradle to the saab harness:
match up: constant positive, ground, switched positive, mute, speaker plus/minus, microphone plus/minus and vola you are set.
First off, I just got my 9-3 Aero last weekend and I LOVE it. However, those phone buttons that don't do anything annoy me.. so I'm intrested in what you are describing.

I was following you up to the "cingular phone with a cradle." What exactly do you mean by this? Looking over various cell providers and accessories you can purchase for the varioius phones I don't see anything that would seem to resemble this. I'd prefer Bluetooth for my car, but anything would be better then nothing.

Sorry for being a noob. I have read the threads on this and frankly got a bit confused.

Thanks,
-Heath
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
hstahl said:
First off, I just got my 9-3 Aero last weekend and I LOVE it. However, those phone buttons that don't do anything annoy me.. so I'm intrested in what you are describing.

I was following you up to the "cingular phone with a cradle." What exactly do you mean by this? Looking over various cell providers and accessories you can purchase for the varioius phones I don't see anything that would seem to resemble this. I'd prefer Bluetooth for my car, but anything would be better then nothing.

Sorry for being a noob. I have read the threads on this and frankly got a bit confused.

Thanks,
-Heath

Check out an advanced car kit and cradle
http://www.nokiausa.com/nokia_accessories/6230/1,2224,40,00.html

You can also get a bluetooth kit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
schernov said:
Check out an advanced car kit and cradle
http://www.nokiausa.com/nokia_accessories/6230/1,2224,40,00.html

You can also get a bluetooth kit
That looks cool. I just want to make sure I have this straight though. So I get the cable from Saab and then this Nokia kit plugs into that cable? Then a Bluetooth phone can interface with the Nokia kit or a compatible Nokia phone can plug directly in to it.

Once this is done the two phone buttons on the steering wheel will work and phone calls will use the built-in mic and system speakers, correct? Assuming all this, one last question. Is there enough room inside the center console to stuff this Nokia box in there? Or do you need to fit it under the passenger seat or something like that? Anybody got some pictures of this installed and working?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
hstahl said:
That looks cool. I just want to make sure I have this straight though. So I get the cable from Saab and then this Nokia kit plugs into that cable? Then a Bluetooth phone can interface with the Nokia kit or a compatible Nokia phone can plug directly in to it.

Once this is done the two phone buttons on the steering wheel will work and phone calls will use the built-in mic and system speakers, correct? Assuming all this, one last question. Is there enough room inside the center console to stuff this Nokia box in there? Or do you need to fit it under the passenger seat or something like that? Anybody got some pictures of this installed and working?

Thanks!
The kit that I sent a link to is not bluetooth I believe, but Nokia makes a bluetooth kit.
There is enough room under console.
You will need to connect wiring from the kit to the wiring from saab harnes..
As far as steering wheel button and console phone button - they will never work in US, this is either for TEL2 in europe (integrated GSM) or Onstar in US.
What you are wiring is TEL1. When call comes in, it will mute the radio and you will hear the call thru the speakers. You can use built in microphone. As far as placing calls you will either have to get a voice activated phone or voice activated kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
schernov said:
The kit that I sent a link to is not bluetooth I believe, but Nokia makes a bluetooth kit.
There is enough room under console.
You will need to connect wiring from the kit to the wiring from saab harnes..
As far as steering wheel button and console phone button - they will never work in US, this is either for TEL2 in europe (integrated GSM) or Onstar in US.
What you are wiring is TEL1. When call comes in, it will mute the radio and you will hear the call thru the speakers. You can use built in microphone. As far as placing calls you will either have to get a voice activated phone or voice activated kit.
Ok, think I got it. That is pretty lame that Saab gives us two buttons on our steering wheel that don't do anything. Onstar isn't available on the '05 so those buttons are out of service. If one of those could be converted to a system mute it would be awsome. Oh well.

The link you sent has a few kits listed including the CK-7W which has both Bluetooth capability and wired to a Nokia phone. I found it for $130 online - so really not that bad.

Thanks for your time. Now I need to find a bluetooth phone I like. TMobile doesn't have much to choose from. Maybe time for a new provider. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
hstahl said:
Ok, think I got it. That is pretty lame that Saab gives us two buttons on our steering wheel that don't do anything. Onstar isn't available on the '05 so those buttons are out of service. If one of those could be converted to a system mute it would be awsome. Oh well.

The link you sent has a few kits listed including the CK-7W which has both Bluetooth capability and wired to a Nokia phone. I found it for $130 online - so really not that bad.

Thanks for your time. Now I need to find a bluetooth phone I like. TMobile doesn't have much to choose from. Maybe time for a new provider. :D
Try this kit, just came out http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,65408,00.htmlhttp://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,54886,00.html
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top