SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my new Saab's front bumper and pass side fender painted after my uncle forgot to put my e-brake on and I watched as my shiney new car rolled down a hill and crashed into the foundation of a neighbors house

Well that was about 6 weeks ago. I always knew one needed to wait before waxing new paint as the solvents inside the paint need to "out-gas" and permiate off the surface. I called the body shop (VERY good shop) and they told me 30 days is long enough (BTW they baked the paint in the booth).

I want to wax next week, but now I'm seeing varying thing on those interwebs that say wait time is 30- 90 days! Some say aslong as 6 months (to wax, not polish). anyone think 45 days is enough ttime to out-gas?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
this is a good question. some piece of ghetto trash hit my car on friday and drove off. so I am now in the process of getting estimates. was wondering the same thing. hope to see some answers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
wax & new paint job

I just my car back after 4 weeks from being in workshop when someone took my right passenger side out from fender to rear door. Body work damage only.Anyway I asked the same question to paintshop guys and they said to leave it for a few days before u wash it,and a week before u wax it . It seems the modern paints used are quick to stabalise themselves. Mine was also baked like yours.

Anyway I waxed it after a week used mother's three stage process: cleaner, swirl remover and wax with electric buffer and its fine no problems. I was quite anxious to get a coat of wax on due to winter.

I don't think you should have any problems if u use a good wax system and go easy with buffer.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
just got an estimate on my ss. $1000. gotta love hit and run drivers! anyways the paint techs said to wait 30 days to wax. washing in any form can be done immediately. I too want to get wax on before winter, but will wait the full 30 days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts