SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Saabs and I just picked up a cosmetically clean 2002 9-5 Linear wagon. Of course, 5 miles down the road had just about every possible warning light come on. I'm looking for advice on what I can fix myself, what needs to go to a pro, and what I should start with in general to get the car in good working order. I prefer to do as much as possible myself for the sheer enjoyment of it and the knowledge of what has been done, but don't mind paying for a pro where needed. Any advice on what to start with is greatly appreciated.

Problems (so far):

1) As soon as I start the car the check engine light comes on. I ran a scan and came up with error codes P1312, P1334, and P0340. Based on searches it appears I have a few cylinders misfiring, I may need to replace a rather costly ignition cassette, and a camshaft position sensor is malfunctioning. Based on other threads, I'm already planning to replace the plugs before shelling out the $1,000 for the cassette. Any other feedback on where to start with these error codes?

2) The next lights to appear are the air bag light and the triangle with the exclamation point in it. I understand these are linked and suspect the dealer/mechanic may have to deal with this, but please let me know your thoughts. For the record, this is the first car I've ever owned with airbags so this one is completely new to me.

3) The Info Display is generally next to come on. The display indicates low coolant. I have filled the resevoir a few times now and this light will disappear for one or two drive cycles but inevitably reappears. The temp gauge does not indicate overheating, but the coolant has left some nice stains on the ground in a few parking garages now. I haven't found any leaks in the system so I'm thinking maybe the resevoir is overflowing through the drain and then the coolant is being sucked back into the radiator. Is it time for a new radiator or could this be a bad thermostat? Also, since I don't have good records of the last time it was done I'm planning to flush/fill the coolant once this is resolved. However I would rather not keep dumping coolant on the ground in the meanwhile. Is it a problem to fill the resevoir with distilled water until I can resolve this?

4) Periodically the oil pressure light comes on and then goes back off. The oil level checks out okay and the oil appears new, but I plan to change it out anyway. I have purchased the oil and filter and plan to drop the oil pan and inspect for sludge per the advice in several threads I've seen here. I'm operating under the assumption that I will find sludge and clean it out, then maintain with regular oil changes. Anything I should look out for here?

Thanks in advance!

Corey

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi,

Drop and clean the sump immediately, I wouldn't even drive the car until that's done, also consider a new oil pump, not very expensive and quite easy to do. Also clean the valve cover as sludge builds up there as well.

Coolant leak could be the coolant bypass valve on the centre of the firewall, quite common failure and again cheap and easy to replace. Otherwise keep an eye on the usual suspects, rad and water pump.

Airbag warning light can be many things and only a dealer with a Tech2 can diagnose it and switch the light off. The most common failure is the clock spring in the steering wheel, do the wheel radio controls and horn work? It might be worth replacing the spring and seeing what happens, if that was the fault the warning light may switch itself off eventually.

DIC and CPS are both common failures with age and mileage. With your multiple cylinder misfires I would suspect either the plugs or the DIC but not really the CPS. Change the plugs but be prepared for a new or used DIC, are they really $1,000 in the US?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check into the coolant bypass valve and the spring in the steering wheel and cross my fingers that an easy fix is the issue for both. Planning to drop oil pan today or tomorrow and will pull valve covers as well. Thanks for the suggestion. Any suggestions on spark plugs? Napa has autolites at $2 per plug or a range of other brands up to $16 per plug. I haven't done extensive research on the cassette yet, but napa has it at $1,039. I usually try to buy quality rather than cheap but am certainly open to suggestions of alternative suppliers for a quality part.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check into the coolant bypass valve and the spring in the steering wheel and cross my fingers that an easy fix is the issue for both. Planning to drop oil pan today or tomorrow and will pull valve covers as well. Thanks for the suggestion. Any suggestions on spark plugs? Napa has autolites at $2 per plug or a range of other brands up to $16 per plug. I haven't done extensive research on the cassette yet, but napa has it at $1,039. I usually try to buy quality rather than cheap but am certainly open to suggestions of alternative suppliers for a quality part.
First NO NO NO on any plugs other than the recommended NGK plugs. You do not need platimum PFR plugs you can use the BCPR plugs you will just need to change them after 30 K miles ( not 100K)

You need a DI ( there is no cam position sensor- that is a code for bad DI it acts as the cam psotion sensor) and they are only 300 bucks or so most places but use only a Swedish made uint, chinese units are counterfit will destroy your engine. Some have found the OEM uints at carquest, but www.gmpartsdepartment.com has them. If you continue to drive with a bad DI you WILL destry your engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jssaab! I'll stick with the NGK plugs. Found a DIC at carquest for $245 (link below). How do I know if it's made in sweden or china? Better price than the GM link you provided if it's a quality part.

http://www.carquest.com/webapp/wcs/...+COILS__10151_-1_10651_125891_30643?acesApp=1#

I hit all the bolts with PB Blaster tonight and read up more on the procedure to drop the pan. Much more involved than I had realized so I'll wait till Wednesday when I have the day off to do it and take my time.

The steering wheel controls and horn do work. Does that indicate the clock spring is good?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure why, but a few updates I've posted here have not shown up. Thanks a tone for the help so far. The sump has been dropped, cleaned, and reinstalled. Plugs have been changed to the NGK BCPRs. The DI and valve cover gasket are on order. The horn and steering wheel buttons all work, so I'm thinking it's not the clock spring tripping the airbag warning. Other ideas? Also, the coolant is actually boiling out of the top of the resevoir through the cap. Where do I start with that one?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
This is a known issue with the 9-5 when the ABS module fails. The warning lights shine like a Christmas tree.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1131615#post1131615

The ABS module has the highest 'rank' for safety reasons. Thus, if there are problems with it then many of the systems of lesser 'rank' will not initialize or will throw a code.

You can either send your away for repair (around $100 and whatever time they quote) or you can buy a rebuilt or used module for whatever someone is willing to sell it for.

Easy fix using the steps above.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Instaed of taking the entire unit out; if you decide to bye a used one use this procedure.

Remove Battery and Battery Box - Arrow points to ABS module

Tools

Remove nut, this Lets you move the fuse box out of the way

Bottom Connector, I used a screwdriver to help me slide this off the bottom of module.

Torx Head, Remove module screws.

Other Screws, 3 Screws on each side.

Slide Clip, Clip that holds connector, slides to left. (Line it up when re-installing)

Module removal, Pull module straight out. (Carefully align when you re-install) Module shown at angle

Module guts, Inside the module

New to Saabs and I just picked up a cosmetically clean 2002 9-5 Linear wagon. Of course, 5 miles down the road had just about every possible warning light come on. I'm looking for advice on what I can fix myself, what needs to go to a pro, and what I should start with in general to get the car in good working order. I prefer to do as much as possible myself for the sheer enjoyment of it and the knowledge of what has been done, but don't mind paying for a pro where needed. Any advice on what to start with is greatly appreciated.

Problems (so far):

1) As soon as I start the car the check engine light comes on. I ran a scan and came up with error codes P1312, P1334, and P0340. Based on searches it appears I have a few cylinders misfiring, I may need to replace a rather costly ignition cassette, and a camshaft position sensor is malfunctioning. Based on other threads, I'm already planning to replace the plugs before shelling out the $1,000 for the cassette. Any other feedback on where to start with these error codes?

2) The next lights to appear are the air bag light and the triangle with the exclamation point in it. I understand these are linked and suspect the dealer/mechanic may have to deal with this, but please let me know your thoughts. For the record, this is the first car I've ever owned with airbags so this one is completely new to me.

3) The Info Display is generally next to come on. The display indicates low coolant. I have filled the resevoir a few times now and this light will disappear for one or two drive cycles but inevitably reappears. The temp gauge does not indicate overheating, but the coolant has left some nice stains on the ground in a few parking garages now. I haven't found any leaks in the system so I'm thinking maybe the resevoir is overflowing through the drain and then the coolant is being sucked back into the radiator. Is it time for a new radiator or could this be a bad thermostat? Also, since I don't have good records of the last time it was done I'm planning to flush/fill the coolant once this is resolved. However I would rather not keep dumping coolant on the ground in the meanwhile. Is it a problem to fill the resevoir with distilled water until I can resolve this?

4) Periodically the oil pressure light comes on and then goes back off. The oil level checks out okay and the oil appears new, but I plan to change it out anyway. I have purchased the oil and filter and plan to drop the oil pan and inspect for sludge per the advice in several threads I've seen here. I'm operating under the assumption that I will find sludge and clean it out, then maintain with regular oil changes. Anything I should look out for here?

Thanks in advance!

Corey

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help. I'll look into the ABS module fix. The coolant cap looks good so I'll swap in a new thermostat tomorrow and test the old. I also ordered the PCV update today and will swap that out. Who knew buying a new to me car would require so much work? Oh well, learning lots about it and I know it's done right.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Did you get the additional hoses for the PCV system?
Thanks for all the help. I'll look into the ABS module fix. The coolant cap looks good so I'll swap in a new thermostat tomorrow and test the old. I also ordered the PCV update today and will swap that out. Who knew buying a new to me car would require so much work? Oh well, learning lots about it and I know it's done right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Swapped the thermostat today and tested the old thermostats. Unfortunately it worked properly which means that wasn't the issue. Confirmed this with a drive to the area auto parts stores and had boiling coolant coming out from the resevoir again after I shut the engine off. Since the cap is a cheap part, I tried to pick one up but may have to order it online as the local places didn't have one. Based on other threads here, it sounds like another possibility is the engine pressure leaking through the head gasket. I've swapped the oil and coolant and neither was mixed with the other, but based on other threads that may not be definitive. Read a few threads about retorquing the head bolts. Could this be the issue? I'm planning to buy the cap and see what happens, but I'm running out of ideas and may have to get the system pressure tested.

I also gave the car a good wash and wax today and picked up some silicone vacuum hoses. Hoping to get those swapped tomorrow. Looking forward to getting the other parts I have on order and figuring out the airbag issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still waiting on my other parts to show up in the mail. Got a new CEL (P0725) and a transmission fault alert light as I was leaving work today. Have read that this is an engine speed sensor. Any ideas where this sensor is and how to troubleshoot?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Pay no attention to the lights until you get the ABS module fixed. Once that's done you'll know what's real and what's not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm learning to ignore the lights, but it seems to be counterintuitive. This morning the CEL and transmission fault lights were both off. I didn't do anything to the car since they came on but they never came back on today. Have an appt with an indie mechanic for next Monday to tech2 some settings, do a compression test on the engine and pressure test the cooling system. No coolant leaks in two days though. Seems like the new cap may have fixed that issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Parts cam ein this weekend. I got the new DIC and the PCV #6 installed and check engine light went off after a few starts. Had to push the indy mechanic appt to tomorrow but will have them check the air bag system as that is the last light I have on. I'm leaning toward the ABS module being okay since each light that came on had an issue that I have been able to find and fix so far.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Swapped the thermostat today and tested the old thermostats. Unfortunately it worked properly which means that wasn't the issue. Confirmed this with a drive to the area auto parts stores and had boiling coolant coming out from the resevoir again after I shut the engine off. Since the cap is a cheap part, I tried to pick one up but may have to order it online as the local places didn't have one. Based on other threads here, it sounds like another possibility is the engine pressure leaking through the head gasket. I've swapped the oil and coolant and neither was mixed with the other, but based on other threads that may not be definitive. Read a few threads about retorquing the head bolts. Could this be the issue? I'm planning to buy the cap and see what happens, but I'm running out of ideas and may have to get the system pressure tested.

I also gave the car a good wash and wax today and picked up some silicone vacuum hoses. Hoping to get those swapped tomorrow. Looking forward to getting the other parts I have on order and figuring out the airbag issue.
I don't know if you've fixed the coolant problem, but checking for a HG leak is easy.

Check your local stores and many will let you borrow the kit if you buy the tester fluid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to update, all lights are now off. Details of the fixes are below for anyone interested. I am not at all a trained mechanic but with the help of this forum I was able to save a lot of money doing most of this myself. I would highly encourage other novice wrenchers to do the same. ;ol;

FIX: I replaced the plugs with the OE NGKs and the DIC with a unit from Oreilly's at a cost of approx $300. No issues since replacement but I lack the comfort of knowing that it is a good quality part. I tried to order the OEM from carquest and they were out of stock. May end up switching this out just for the peace of mind.

FIX: Had an indy SAAB mechanic scan with Tech2 and learned that the passenger door sensor was malfunctioning. Had it professionally repaired ata cost of $450. They told me the system has to be pressurized for the repair to avoid the airbags deploying when you disconnect the sensor so I figured that was the easier way to go.

FIX: I replaced the thermostat which made no difference at all. I tested the old thermostat in boiling water and observed that it opened and closed properly. I suspected a possible head gasket but found some posts that recommended replacing the resevoir cap first. I did this and the issue went away.

FIX: I dropped the oil pan and cleaned out the sludge. It was blocking a good bit of the pickup screen but cleaned up easily enough and looked new by the time I put it all back together. With the help of some of the pictorial writeups here this was a pretty easy project in the end. Much more so than I thought it would be. I also went ahead and upgrade the PCV system to the version 6 from eEuroparts. This was also an easy swap with the help of the pictorials I found.

At one point, I knocked off a vac line and threw a new CEL (P0240 IIRC). I replaced all of the vac lines with silicone lines and the light has not come back.

Thanks for all of the help and advice!

Corey

·
Registered
363 Posts

FIX: Had an indy SAAB mechanic scan with Tech2 and learned that the passenger door sensor was malfunctioning. Had it professionally repaired ata cost of $450. They told me the system has to be pressurized for the repair to avoid the airbags deploying when you disconnect the sensor so I figured that was the easier way to go.
Thanks for the update and good info. Just wanted to comment on this one part in case someone comes along later and looks at the thread. There is no such thing as "pressurizing the system" for the side crash sensor. The only thing required to replace the sensor or the wiring, and make sure no airbags deploy, is to disconnect the battery.

Here's how the system works. The sensor in the door is a pressure sensor and it monitors the pressure in the door cavity. When the vehicle is struck and the door crushes, the pressure in the door cavity goes up and the sensor determines the severity of the crash based on the pressure it measures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts