SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2005 9-5 wagon linear yesterday. We bought a 99 9-3 last Feb and like it so much we added another. 103K 2.3t $4500.

We live in upstate NY which means lots of salt and rust so both of these Saabs we bought out of the rust belt (9-3 from VA 9-5 from Maryand). The 9-5 has no rust. Wonderful.

Drove it home from New Jersey (6 1/2 hours) and it didn't miss a beat. 32 mpg at 72mph! I can live with that.

Issues?
~Key works fine, but the remote feature (door locks) doesn't.
~A couple minor dents (tailgate and right front fender). Hard to notice.
~No floor mats?! I wondered if they took them out to clean and forgot to replace them!
~A bit of vibration/clunkiness when I start the car, or just before I stop. From the reading I've been doing around here I'd guess motor mounts, perhaps? Transmission mounts?

Other issue?
~ I'm getting a vibration/hum/resonance when the car is under moderate/heavy load. On the flat, it's fine. Up a modest incline, it's fine. Up a steeper incline I get the noise. On a much steeper incline, it goes away again. When I get the noise I can eliminate it by easing off or giving it more throttle. Seems like it's coming from the front. Speed doesn't seem to matter and the pitch doesn't change. Not too loud. My son-in-law didn't evn notice it. But I did. Bearing? CV?

Getting ready to change the oil and flush the tranny. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Door lock buttons on the key may either be the battery in the key needing replacement or perhaps the ignition cylinder not popping up when you take your key out of the ignition.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We replaced the battery at the dealer -- no change. The key cylinder seems down. Humpfh.

And I have a new "issue" to add to the list. I have the oil leak on the back passenger side of the vehicle. 10-15 drips after I shut it off. No clue how many drips when I'm driving, but it's enough to coat quite a bit of the undercarriage (on the passenger side). I think I'll post about this one separately.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
Leaks could come from oil pressure sensor, timing chain cover, or the belt tensioner. Better to degrease and watch for the leak area(s) as the oil will move around the engine bay at higher speeds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will definitely have to degrease. The oil fill tube seems a potential culprit. It seems really moist where the plastic meets the aluminum and it's not from a sloppy fill. But I think it's too much oil to just be that. There does seem to be quite a bit of oil around the sump, too. But I don't know if it's at the seam or above it. It must be leaking more under load than it is just sitting. I haven't owned it long enough to know if it's losing oil at an alarming rate.

Tomorrow I'll put it on the ramps and degrease.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely leaking at the crank pulley. Seems like there is oil above it too, but I suppose the pulley could be slinging it around. I don't think it's as far as the head. Guess I'm going to do a crank shaft seal. Idler and tensioner too? And besides replacing the belt, anything else I should probably do while I've got it apart? It's a 2005 w/ 100k on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just by way of oil leak resolution (partial)... crank seal, oil pump o-ring, and lower pcv tube did nothing. So I dropped the sump, cleaned the pan (which barely need it! yea!), put it back together and... no leak. I'm very happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts