SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2004 9³ Aero with AT off ebay (I know... I took a gamble) that should arrive sometime next week. I have a few questions concerning it.
1. Do you have to use Saab maintenance parts? i.e. oil/air/cabin air filters, spark plugs, belt, etc. Autozone lists all these parts, and some are less than eEuroparts listings. Autozone also lists SEVERAL different spark plugs here: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...e&navValue=14200033&itemId=33-0&parentId=42-0
2. What is the general consensus about running Seafoam through the crankcase to clean it out? I've used it on all my other, American, GM counterparts, and have been very happy with the results.
3. On the performance side... will I be seriously underwhelmed? My current car is a 2006 GTO. I know the Saab isn't going to perform at that level, and I didn't buy it to, but is the performance for daily driving pretty decent? I bought it so I could stop racking miles up on the GTO, and to save a little in gas too.

TIA (and I'll have many more questions later I'm sure... just need to get to bed for tonight).

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I hope that you know that the car you purchased had been checked for sludge before the sale, and that you know how often and with which oil the oil changes were made... Ron

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Mobil 1 OW-40 oil.
I would use a saab filter

I sucked seafoam up through the vacuum hose, worked pretty well.
Performance wise its gonna be a fun car, compared to the gto stock for stock your gonna feel slow.
Bout a 6.5 second 0-60... 3rd gear is our gear though. 55-110 is a completely different car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be honest... I have NO data as far as how well it's been kept up. It has 77k on the clock, and I got it for 7500, so it seemed like a pretty good deal since the KBB was over 11k. The pictures show it to be in very good shape, inside and out. I do have a 48 hour money back garuntee, so when it gets here, I have two days to check it out. What should I look for when it arrives?
I do have a carfax for it:
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=CRD_1&vin=YS3FH49Y841000484
But it's kinda short.
What about the other items? Is there any reason not to use the gatorback belt at Autozone, or the NGK 6364 or 7092 (which specifically lists the Aero)?

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Use the NGK PRFGT-10 (I think thats the #)
Belt wise im unsure...

Dont worry about sludging the 03+ engines dont have that problem.
If I were you I'd drive the crap out of it and make sure its in top shape...
Another thing, the aero loves 93 octane... using less will deminish performance and mileage a bit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Use the NGK PRFGT-10 (I think thats the #)
Belt wise im unsure...

Dont worry about sludging the 03+ engines dont have that problem.
If I were you I'd drive the crap out of it and make sure its in top shape...
Another thing, the aero loves 93 octane... using less will deminish performance and mileage a bit.
After some research of that part number, it appears to be the NGK Laser Platinum 5542 plug. In my previous experiences with boosted applications, platinum plugs kinda sucked. Switching to standard copper plugs yeilded much better engine response at the cost of reduced plug life. Since copper plugs cost ~$2 each vs ~13 for the Laser platinum, the increased plug changes are worth it if they wouldn't cause any problems with the engine.
Anyone had bad experiences using NGK coppers in the 2.0T engine?

I would never use anything less than 93 octane in ANY boosted or high compression engine. That's a gimme.

Another question... Is there anything that can be done to prevent the button wear that seems so common? Mine doesn't have any buttons worn off yet, and I would like to keep it that way! Has anyone tried something like clear fingernail polish, or removing them and spraying them with clearcoat?

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, will any 32mm socket work for the oil filter? I already have a 12 point 32mm craftsman socket, and if it will do the job, I see no reason to pay $10 for a socket.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I bought a Saab Viggen convertible off Ebay a few years ago and it was fine. I think people have already given you great advice, but I wouldn't sweat small details like using a Saab oil filter. Congrats on your purchase and best of luck.

BTW, where's the Ebay link to admire the new ride?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sucked seafoam up through the vacuum hose, worked pretty well.
Ever used Seafoam in the crankcase (with the oil, right before changing the oil)?
I'm really just curious if it can damage the turbo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Use the listed NGK plug for the Saab: PFR6T-10G....or an equivalent plug.

As for fuel, test it out. Saab recommends 90 Octane. Furthermore, the engine management system on the '04 9³ will prevent knock even on the regular grade (87 Octane) gas, with no damage to the engine. If it is knocking, you've got issues not related to the fuel.

As for oils- fully synthetic 0W30 or 0W40, meeting spec GM-LL-A025. hunt around, there was a recent discussion on this as well. Filters- whatever you find that fits the application. Obviously, I wouldn't use cheap stuff, but Saab branded is not necessary.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
We've all been using the NGK platinum's... everybody that uses different has been reporting misfiring.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We've all been using the NGK platinum's... everybody that uses different has been reporting misfiring.
Roger that

Few more questions....
1. Is the Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle transmission fluid ok to use? It claims to meet the requirements of T-IV, which I've read is the same as the Saab fluid specs (or compatible/usable). This correct?
2. Does the 5 speed Auto have a changable filter?
3. Will any 32mm socket work for the oil filter? I have a 32mm 12 point craftsman socket, and would rather not pay $10 for a socket if I don't have to.
4. What upgrades are there for the Aero suspension? I've seen some springs and struts, etc, and I'm sure they are a good upgrade to the Linear and/or Arc, but will they net a noticable difference on the Aero? Are they worth it to upgrade on an Aero?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm using Denso Iridium IK20 plugs. Have them on for about 10k KM. No problems, there is a noticable difference in throttle response, but also a noticable reduction in mpg's. i lost about 50kms.

The aero suspension is good, unless you go to the track all the time you should be quite satisfied. It's stiff and loud on the bumps, Just make sure you sound proof it. Damn rattles will drive you nuts.

Use Mobil 1 0w-40 oil 6L's and you can use any gm spec oil filter and air filter. You may want to have cabin air filter replaced, and have the battery checked. If it looks like the saab oem battery indicated in the manual, i would change it on spec to be sure, because once it does start going on you, all sorts of electrical gremlins will start happening.

Check for coolant leaks and make sure there's no oil mixed with it, check your wipers, make sure they park where they should, make sure your sunroof works as well as all windows. Your rear fog may have a bulb missing, so you may want to pick one up. Forgot the bulb number.

For the buttons, your best bet to keep them from peeling is not to use them :cheesy:. But you obviously will, so just touch them gently.

I use 91 octane gas. Here in Toronto 94 is the highest we have and it seems like it's going the way of the dodo. I didn't notice any performance gains over 91. 94 just burns cleaner, and doesn't give me more KM's due to the 10% ethanol blend. Don't know how the gas is in the states.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but if i think of something i'll post back.

Oh, one more thing. Make sure to Enjoy it too!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Note: Saab ships their vehicles with a single rear fog lamp installed, though the socket may be present on the other side. Proper use by Euro standards is a single bulb, on the passing side, for added safety in low-vis situations, but since most drivers in the US drive like I land on a static line jump, have at it...your fellow drivers won't have a clue why you ride your brakes (as thats what two bulbs lit looks like). Rant, off.

Let me reiterate, best performance in the 9³ motors is achieved with the NGK plugs.

Concur on the battery.

Concur on the cabin air filter, also check the engine air filter. I bet it could use a change, as well as cleaning the air box out....or get a cold air kit from genuinesaab.com (my next "upgrade").

Also, if the sunroof acts funny, as in it acts like there is something jammed in it, when there isn't and you cannot close it....press the window lock button and hold while closing the roof. Sometimes the anti-pinch acts up, to the point that it is detailed by Saab in the owner manuals with the fix I just listed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts