SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post so sorry about all the detail and length!

I am a previous owner of two older model Saab 900 S years 90' and 92' and loved them from the moment I drove and owned them. Unfortunately, there were reasons why I had to sell them (one being an ex sugared my gas tank! ;oops: with my first one, and the other being a move from the west to east coast which the poor little 900 just couldn't fit all my belongings in :cry: so I sold her reluctantly).

I always planned on getting another Saab and never really worried or thought much about the bankruptcy of the company. I just recently purchased my dream car which is a 2010 9-3 Aero convertible. She has pretty low miles at 46,000 and is in pretty much in 'cherry' condition as told to me by the mechanic aside from a small dint/paint chip and an oil leak which I have not had evaluated yet.

I did my homework and looked on KBB/Edmunds on pricing and reviews, as well as made sure there are a few capable mechanics in the area who could fix them if needed. I was so happy find and purchase the car until I started hearing from the 'haters'. I was told to "make sure I get the $4000 warranty for when this car breaks", "you know that they don't make Saabs anymore!", "why did you buy this car?", and "you are going to have a hard time getting parts now and especially in five years". So of course my bubble got burst and I started worrying.

First, just curious about how everyone is doing finding parts and if you are having a hard time and what you think the future may hold. I see that there are second hand Saab part dealers all over the internet. I wonder if they will continue to make the most needed/frequently faulty parts or if we will really be up the creek in the future.

Second, My car did not come with an owner's manual and of course the only ones available on PDF online are through 2009...I have downloaded a 2009 version as it seems similar but would like to have the actual year/model if possible. Any one have a copy downloaded or know where to get one?

Third, any chance anyone lives in Florida/North Florida/Jacksonville? and knows of a good mechanic that you trust in taking your Saab to?

Thanks so much, Sara

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I have not seen 2010/2011 manuals available anywhere. Be aware of the intake valve issue for 2007+ 2.0 liter engines. Look at the sticky in the workshop forum.

I really enjoy my 04 vert and always wanted a Saab convertible since I saw the first ones in the 80's. Still might want to get an OG900 vert someday.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Welcome Sara, you'll love your car.

The manuals do not exist. GM recalled them when the company folded and was in the process of being sold/scrapped.

They were destroyed unfortunately, as they had all the warranty information on them and was a liability at the time for GM.

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post so sorry about all the detail and length!

I am a previous owner of two older model Saab 900 S years 90' and 92' and loved them from the moment I drove and owned them. Unfortunately, there were reasons why I had to sell them (one being an ex sugared my gas tank! ;oops: with my first one, and the other being a move from the west to east coast which the poor little 900 just couldn't fit all my belongings in :cry: so I sold her reluctantly).

I always planned on getting another Saab and never really worried or thought much about the bankruptcy of the company. I just recently purchased my dream car which is a 2010 9-3 Aero convertible. She has pretty low miles at 46,000 and is in pretty much in 'cherry' condition as told to me by the mechanic aside from a small dint/paint chip and an oil leak which I have not had evaluated yet.

I did my homework and looked on KBB/Edmunds on pricing and reviews, as well as made sure there are a few capable mechanics in the area who could fix them if needed. I was so happy find and purchase the car until I started hearing from the 'haters'. I was told to "make sure I get the $4000 warranty for when this car breaks", "you know that they don't make Saabs anymore!", "why did you buy this car?", and "you are going to have a hard time getting parts now and especially in five years". So of course my bubble got burst and I started worrying.

First, just curious about how everyone is doing finding parts and if you are having a hard time and what you think the future may hold. I see that there are second hand Saab part dealers all over the internet. I wonder if they will continue to make the most needed/frequently faulty parts or if we will really be up the creek in the future.

Second, My car did not come with an owner's manual and of course the only ones available on PDF online are through 2009...I have downloaded a 2009 version as it seems similar but would like to have the actual year/model if possible. Any one have a copy downloaded or know where to get one?

Third, any chance anyone lives in Florida/North Florida/Jacksonville? and knows of a good mechanic that you trust in taking your Saab to?

Thanks so much, Sara

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Parts are not a problem. Especially since you have the 2.0 in your aero. The only real challenge was body pieces, but that seems to have been cleared up.

Stop worrying about what others think and enjoy your car. 2010 aero is a great car.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Be aware that eventually your 2.0 engine may fall into the "problem" category when it comes to valves. This is based on the assumption that whatever stock of valves that GM left or perhaps the same supplier was used there has been a high failure rate in later year cars.

It's long but read the sticky and as the fleet gains mileage it may be a matter of time.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Another issue, and after having Saabs since 1984, I doubt I fall into the "hater" category of course some of the blind loyalists would disagree with that, you better check twice with the shops that said they can work on these cars.

Now that is a "Muller" issue vehicle you have as a 2010 and the service requirements may be different but I never heard that. That said, many shops, my own indie included and a few other in my area ((lots of Saab and Beemers around), will tell you they can work on the car. What many will fail to tell you that this may be limited to changing some hard parts like brakes and such. When it comes to technical issues like a locked ignition, my indie sent me packing off to a former Saab dealer where a Tech II was needed to marry the failed ignition switch to the car. It seems he has "some" Tech II privileges but is not current in his subscription and with Saab on the way out, he is not going to renew (nor have our other two shops that advertise Saab-BMW-Mercedes).

Call them back and ask about full and current subscription rights. It just may mean to you that at least you will have former Saab dealers lined up when the issues start ... and yeah, IMHO, these cars do show up as more likely to have a problem than not. Both our Saabs, the 2008 and 2009 have required a tow. The only other tows I have had (owned nearly 100 cars over time, like $100 MG''s), were our 1989 900 and 1989 9000.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts