SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just got a 9-5, 2.0 turbo Linear, 2001.

There'll be loads of questions to come as it's had massive engine work done on it.

The first is this, it only has 4 speakers but has holes for 9, I have speakers that will fit the holes but need to know if the wiring looms will be in place already, anyone know?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Hi Nick, welcome to SaabCentral. All cars are pre-wired for any of the audio specs Saab supply. You unfortunately have the same as i had, the budget AS1 system. Your standard unit won't be able to power the extra speakers, and upgrading to the AS2 or AS3 system is just not economically viable. Both AS2/AS3 have external amps that the AS1 system doesn't have.:( All is not lost however, if you read the 9-5 performance/mods section, there is a sticky about upgrading the AS1 to an aftermarket head unit, amp and speakers. The result is well worth doing and can be done for less than £400. :cool:

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Kermits 9-5 said:
Hi Nick, welcome to SaabCentral. All cars are pre-wired for any of the audio specs Saab supply. You unfortunately have the same as i had, the budget AS1 system. Your standard unit won't be able to power the extra speakers, and upgrading to the AS2 or AS3 system is just not economically viable. Both AS2/AS3 have external amps that the AS1 system doesn't have.:( All is not lost however, if you read the 9-5 performance/mods section, there is a sticky about upgrading the AS1 to an aftermarket head unit, amp and speakers. The result is well worth doing and can be done for less than £400. :cool:

Maybe its possible to get the AS2 or AS3 systems out of a crashed vehicle at a junkyard?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
nick_todd said:
There'll be loads of questions to come as it's had massive engine work done on it.
Welcome Nick, sounds interesting ;)

G

·
Mattlach said:
Maybe its possible to get the AS2 or AS3 systems out of a crashed vehicle at a junkyard?
It could be done but involves a massive amount of work, if your car came with the AS1 then you only have the wireing for those speakers. Its not worth the effort when an aftermarket is a far cheaper option..:)

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Finn said:
It could be done but involves a massive amount of work, if your car came with the AS1 then you only have the wireing for those speakers. Its not worth the effort when an aftermarket is a far cheaper option..:)
They are pre-wired Finn.... i had all the wiring present in the rear shelf for 6x9 speakers. Problem is the front end...the wiring goes straight to the speakers from the AS1 head unit, the loom will need to be altered to accept the amp for the AS2/3 systems. The Harmon Kardon amp for the AS3 system is £600 alone.:eek: Saab spares people know how much they cost, so you'll end up paying at least £200 second hand, then you've got the speakers on top of that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts