SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Just thought I should say Hi as I just joined the SAAB Central.
My name is Simon and I live in Montréal Quebec Canada. My mother tung is french so writing in English is not as easy as I would like. Please be indulgent. I mostly do my own mechanical work, in the summer that is...
I bought my first ever SAAB yesterday. It’s a 1985 900 8v non-turbo 3 door, 146 000 miles (US car) no sun roof, white with no rust. original paint, very well cared for car. I allready put 200km on the clock with no bad surprise. There is one issue I must deal with soon. There is a knocking sound in the passenger side front wheel when I hit bumps. It sounds like the shock bushings might be bad... Hope it’s not the control arm bushings... Other than that everything looks and feels fine. I love the feel of this car. I will for shire find some little problems in the next few days being a 23 year old car.

I have a feeling this site will help a great deal.

Yours truly, Simon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,526 Posts
Québec SAAB said:
Hello all

Just thought I should say Hi as I just joined the SAAB Central.
My name is Simon and I live in Montréal Quebec Canada. My mother tung is french so writing in English is not as easy as I would like. Please be indulgent. I mostly do my own mechanical work, in the summer that is...
I bought my first ever SAAB yesterday. It’s a 1985 900 8v non-turbo 3 door, 146 000 miles (US car) no sun roof, white with no rust. original paint, very well cared for car. I allready put 200km on the clock with no bad surprise. There is one issue I must deal with soon. There is a knocking sound in the passenger side front wheel when I hit bumps. It sounds like the shock bushings might be bad... Hope it’s not the control arm bushings... Other than that everything looks and feels fine. I love the feel of this car. I will for shire find some little problems in the next few days being a 23 year old car.

I have a feeling this site will help a great deal.

Yours truly, Simon
Welcome to the forums Simon! Sounds like your first Saab purchase is a good one. Being a 1985 non-turbo it'll probably have an 8-valve B201 engine but be careful as 85's are prone to wiring problems since that particular year had some poor-quality looms supplied by a contractor to Saab. Otherwise, there's no reason why you won't learn lots about the cars through maintaining, repairing and driving your car.

Shock bushes and control arm bushes are common things to need replacing as they age and replacement bushes are not expensive, though control arm bush replacement is probably something best done by a trained tech who has access to the right tooks.

Check also that the balljoints don't have any significant play - they're not difficult to replace but it would be a good move to obtain a copy of the Bentley manual to suit your car before you attempt to do more than basic servicing so you can read up on the Saab-recommended ways to troubleshoot and fix things that need attention. There is a version for c900's with 8V engines and another version of the book for c900's with 16V engines. It's an excellent reference and really helpful for most things.

Craig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,446 Posts
in order to diagnose balljoints you will need to put something (~ 3cm) in between the upper control arm and the driveshaft tunnel (body) to take off stress from the ball joint.
If you will not do this you will see no movement in the balljoint even if it`s really bad ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the problem fixed! It was the 2 lower ball joints.
The 2 top ones, Saab parts (I don’t know if they are the original ones) are OK. The 2 bottom ones, After market parts were so bad!!! 1/4 inch of play!!!
I replaced them with Saab parts at Auto Scandia in Montreal (514-270-4872.) Great service. Worked 3 hours on the ball joints and a complete inspection of the car, charged 2 hours at 55$/hour. With parts and taxes under 300$. Not a cheep fix but now I feel safe and the 900 is silent as a whisper. Things to do soon : Rear strut rod bushings, rear chucks and passenger side tie rod end, Will do both when I get the money. Nothing urgent.

(DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS) To check the ball joints. get someone to sit on the fender. fit a 3/4 inch thick object between the top control arm and the chassis. tell the someone to go and get you a beer or whatnot, lift the car so the wheel clears the ground. Shake the wheel and see if the ball joints are tight.

if so, CHANGE THE BALL JOINTS!



This is a popped out ball joint on my 1981 AMC Eagle SX/4. OOps...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
Québec SAAB said:
Montréal Quebec Canada. My mother tung is french so writing in English is not as easy as I would like.
Bonjour. Je ne parle pas en francais depuis quand jai quittez mon program immersion. Jai oublier toute ma conjurgation des verbes, ext je ne connacait pas comment ercriez en francais maintnent tres bien. Je ne peux pas apellex de tout,. Il-y-a une temps que Je parle et ericre on francais plus mieux que Englais, cette temps est long passez.:roll:

Benviennue a Saab Central

900t Parle Francais, Il vive dans Montreal. Je pense que 900t est une phantom.

how was that?

PS WOuld a "headgasket" be "Gasket de Tette"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,867 Posts
****(DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS) To check the ball joints. get someone to sit on the fender. fit a 3/4 inch thick object between the top control arm and the chassis. tell the someone to go and get you a beer or whatnot, lift the car so the wheel clears the ground. Shake the wheel and see if the ball joints are tight.

if so, CHANGE THE BALL JOINTS!*****



Well the principle is correct , you take the load of the spring , common place is to jack up under the ball joint and insert the *packer* But wahtever loads the spring is fine , Just dont tell your bonnet sitting freind his fat .... is being used to load the car . Once the weight is off the spring the packer that Kur bads refferred too is inserted . Now that the weight from the spring is taken off the balljoint you can grab the wheel If the ball joints are LOOSE * that is the have up and lateral movement ) you replace them . IF they are tight ... you send your bonnett sitting freind back to get u a beer as well ! :D Welcome to Saab central , enjoy the car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome.

I get a real kick out of these international communications, Australia, Belgium, B-C Canada, UK...

Mandatory photos coming soon. I promiss. I will start a new thread introducing the car my girlfriend and I are affectionately calling «Beluga».

Woke up this morning with an inch of snow. First one this year. I am curious on how this car handles in snow.



Woywitka, your french might be rusty but I am sure we could have a conversation over a beer. Beer is an excellent de-ruster ;D.

«Gasket de tête» is mostly used here in Quebec to define «headgasket» but as you may allready know, it is not correct French. The term that should be used is «Joint de culasse».

Will be posting soon.

Simon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,382 Posts
Québec SAAB said:
Thanks for the welcome.

I get a real kick out of these international communications, Australia, Belgium, B-C Canada, UK...

Mandatory photos coming soon. I promiss. I will start a new thread introducing the car my girlfriend and I are affectionately calling «Beluga».

Woke up this morning with an inch of snow. First one this year. I am curious on how this car handles in snow.



Woywitka, your french might be rusty but I am sure we could have a conversation over a beer. Beer is an excellent de-ruster ;D.

«Gasket de tête» is mostly used here in Quebec to define «headgasket» but as you may allready know, it is not correct French. The term that should be used is «Joint de culasse».

Will be posting soon.

Simon
Ah wain? J'ai toujours dit "ah ***** j'ai pete mon headgasket encore" :lol: French terms for engine parts are interesting, "vilebrequin" for crankshaft, etc. Engine block is probably the lamest one... "bloc moteur" :roll:

Nice car you have. My dad once had to do his balljoints on his '79 AMC Spirit sometime around 1983 (he screwed them up doing something) - I don't think he let them go that far though :lol:

Woy I think you want to say "fantôme" (ALT + 0244 ;)), I don't do opera :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
Québec SAAB said:
Thanks for the welcome.

I get a real kick out of these international communications, Australia, Belgium, B-C Canada, UK...

Mandatory photos coming soon. I promiss. I will start a new thread introducing the car my girlfriend and I are affectionately calling «Beluga».

Woke up this morning with an inch of snow. First one this year. I am curious on how this car handles in snow.



Woywitka, your french might be rusty but I am sure we could have a conversation over a beer. Beer is an excellent de-ruster ;D.

«Gasket de tête» is mostly used here in Quebec to define «headgasket» but as you may allready know, it is not correct French. The term that should be used is «Joint de culasse».

Will be posting soon.

Simon
ooooo very nice! More photos are mandatory

An inch on snow in Montreal:lol: . Would you not just mistake that little snow for frost. I thought "snowfall" was anything above 9 feet?:lol:

I have been to Montreal 3 times in the spring, all times there was snow.:roll:

So Vancouver got Snow before Montreal this year! We had a half inch yesterday morning (around 5am) it was all melted when I got out of bed at 730am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
900t said:
Woy I think you want to say "fantôme" (ALT + 0244 ;)), I don't do opera :cheesy:
ah, yes. (ah, Oui)

Fant(ALT + 244)me----> Fantôme

Je pense que 900t est une Fantôme :cool:

Tres bon. *french sounding laugh*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
These cars are the epitome of snow-handling! We in Calgary get pretty bad winters; sometime's it's like -5C wet snow and fog, but a lot of the times it's like 50km/hr winds in -30C weather, with hard-packed many-times-driven-over snow laced with patches of black ice and blowing snow. And it's a warm car! :cheesy:

I've got an 85' 16V Turbo and even without ABS TC or any other type of electronic aid and 7-year old snow tires, it out-tractions a 2002 Beamer 328 with all those things and brand new snow tires! It's so sure footed I like to do some "winter drifting" on it once in a while, forcing it into slides but I know the exact characteristics of the car so it will always recover traction exactly where I want it. Where most people loathe winter driving here, my car makes me love it! Except for the traffic, that's one of the things I love most about winter here (and believe me, there's an inexhaustable list of things I hate about winter here)! Surprisingly, it just hasn't yet snowed here...! Or it did, one day in early Oct, and then no more yet... :confused:

Enjoy your Saab, you've got it at a time when it performs best, and out-performs the rest! :cool:

li Arc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,382 Posts
woywitka said:
ooooo very nice! More photos are mandatory

An inch on snow in Montreal:lol: . Would you not just mistake that little snow for frost. I thought "snowfall" was anything above 9 feet?:lol:

I have been to Montreal 3 times in the spring, all times there was snow.:roll:

So Vancouver got Snow before Montreal this year! We had a half inch yesterday morning (around 5am) it was all melted when I got out of bed at 730am.
He must have taken the pic early this morning, we had the first dusting of the season last night but it started raining around 9:30 and now it is gone :(
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top