SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first introduction to the Saab world is my new, to me black 2000 9-3 Viggen.

I needed a car in a hurry but didn't want to buy something on a whim. I was checking out VDubs seeing that's all I've owned and worked on for 20 years. Had money down on a newer Jetta 1.8t and I found this Viggen in AutoTrader Online. I took it for a little drive and was hooked.

It's a 1 owner 170K and is very clean for the it's miles inside and out. So now I'm trying to find out all I can about the Saab 9-3 and Viggens. Found this website and see that it has alot of activity and is informative.

Where else can I find out more about the Saab 9-3 and the Viggen?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Welcome and w00t to the viggen. WaSaabi is probably right about not needing much else in the way or informational resrouces. There is a ton of stuff all over this site.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ironic, this is my first post and I'm picking up an '01 Viggen convertible tomorrow!

It's a 2-owner w/ 75K miles. We were looking for something with better gas mileage than our Land Rover and Suburban, but wanted some performance and a convertible. We drove Mini's (just too small as we have two kids), BMW's (ok, but not great MPG) and then I found the Viggen. For sale by an indy Saab / Volvo guy, carfax checked out, vehicle looked and drove great, they changed all fluids and per my request (thanks to Saab Central!) pulled the pan, checked PCV for evidence of sludge. They have a great reputation to begin with - so I'm pretty comfortable with the purchase.

I previously owned a '88 Saab 9000T 4dr hatchback w/5spd, moonroof, etc. Bought it with 30k on it and drove it 140K trouble free miles - just routine maintenance (and a clutch at around 120K). The 9000T would eat BMW 5-series! One drive in the Viggen and I remembered how great Saab seats are, and how the cars are really driver's cars.

I do most all maintenance and repairs on my vehicles and am fanatic about oil/filter changes. Thanks for all of the good information available here - I feel as if I'm off to a good start...

I'll try and post some pics later this week.

Jack

·
Registered
399 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.

Lots of folks like to add a steering rack clamp and brace and a bigger rear anti-roll bar. They make the car much better behaved.

You can get them from genuinesaab.com, and while you are there, you can see lots of other things to lust after.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

I used to use a Bentley Pub for my VDub. Now, where might one find a Saab shop manual?

I heard that that their no longer available but a CD might be available.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There are essentially two options. There's a Haynes manual that is only currently available in the UK. This means it'll cost a little bit more than a Haynes manual for something like a Honda Accord. You'll have to order it, and it's not extremely thorough from what we've been told.

The CD you are refering to is WIS. It's only supposed to be available to dealerships and the like. It's available from a sort of different sources like ebay. Some of the means of obtaining this are sort of illegal, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
d2jp, did you buy the one with the beige interior at Swedish Motorcars?

www.viggenfactfile.de is a spectacular resource.
No, it was here in Lynchburg. It had been owned in Charlotte. Picked it up today - the shop owner took pics of the oil pan and pick-up screen when they pulled it off, it looked good. I'll try and get a picture up this evening.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I'm actually conducting a top secret saab mission into lynchburg on Sat. If you can be up early in the AM and meet up at the walgreens on the corner of perroville and graves mill, in forest, you should tag along.:cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
I'm actually conducting a top secret saab mission into lynchburg on Sat. If you can be up early in the AM and meet up at the walgreens on the corner of perroville and graves mill, in forest, you should tag along.:cool:
I live about 2 miles from there - what time and what's up. You can email or PM if you wish.

·
Registered
107 Posts
kpa2004 said:
The best deal for the money is www.alldatadiy.com . I use it for my 99 Viggen. It has everything you would ever need for a DIY'er. I have a saab WIS cd, and that doesnt even come close to alldata.
what info does this "manual" have ??

is it the dealer's service manual?

does it specify all the Tech2 codes

does it give info on convertible top diagnosis?

thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
av8ndoc said:
what info does this "manual" have ??

is it the dealer's service manual?

does it specify all the Tech2 codes

does it give info on convertible top diagnosis?

thanks
Absolutely, everything you ever wanted to know about your car is there. Its model specific. So if you put in a 99 SE or vig it will be just for that model. Obviously most info is the same for all models IE: windows,lights bla bla.Its well worth it. It has wiring diagrams,troubleshooting steps, ohm values,voltage values for everything.Its really inexpensive too. I think its like 24 bucks for the first year and 14 bucks everyyear after that,and,if you get another car be it a saab or a Ford, the subscription is transferable so you dont have to shell out extra money. Its a good deal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
thanks, I'll check it out. I have the Haynes manual but it is not as detailed as I prefer--the true service notes are what I want. seems cheaper than some illegal DVD manual too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts