SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i posted on here a month or two back that my engine was making a clunking noise under acceleration/deacceleration, and the general consensus was my motor mounts were shot. So a few weeks ago I inspected the front engine mount, and sure enough the rubber had completely separated. I ordered a new hydraulic rear motor mount from rock auto for about $65, as well as a new solid front mount from partsgeek.com for about $70. The installation took a little longer than I hoped for, that front mount was a bi*ch to get out. The rear mount was pretty loose, but had not completely fallen apart like the front mount.

Anyways, here is my take on the solid rubber mount. No increased vibration at all, no more clunking noises, and the engine feels like it is secured like it should be. Just for reference, I have a stock tranny mount and a polyurethane torque arm mount. I would highly recommend the solid rubber front engine mount to anyone, it works extremely well and is considerably cheaper than a hydraulic mount.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I agree with getting the mount out, when I did the job the front was a serious PITA. Because the rear can slide out sideways rather than having to get enough clearance to lift it out fully it was so much easier!

Front took me HOURS of messing around getting the engine high enough though, I had to unbolt the transmission mount in the end :roll: (should have thought of that at the beginning in fairness).

Anyway I may be doing it again soon, all the negative accounts of Scantech parts have got me really worried that mine are going to fail after a very short time...(guess which mounts I put in mine)

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Front and rear lower mounts are the same part number I think, with variations depending on engine type (2.0 mounts are different to the 2.3 mounts, etc.).

Still need to investigate the lower mounts in my 9k, so good to see some feedback on the solid aftermarket mounts.

What's supposedly wrong with the Scantech hydraulic ones?

Most of the mounts I see on Ebay are for 2.3 engines and the right type for my 2.0 engine (1990 9k carlsson so at the start of the 2.3's usage) are hard to locate . Especially the genuine ones.

Craig.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts