SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going on chaps, new to the forum but not new to the car scene. Gf has decided she wants a convertible so we've been shopping around. Never really considered a saab--we were looking at used 135i verts, cooper s verts, 328i verts, etc--but then one day a 9-3 aero passed me on the freeway on the way to the office and i was smitten with its looks. Call me vain but i place a particular weight on being in something different, something that isn't present at every stoplight--i could spit in the air and it would probably land on a cooper or 1 or 3 series around here. I've probably seen 1 or 2 new body style aeros around the city in my entire life. That and i've been intrigued by saabs since seeing the 9000s run around back in the day. So, i decided to do some research and have been lurking around the forums for the last month trying to absorb as much as i could about these cars (and plans for modding... dont tell the other half though:lol:).

We went to test drive all the vehicles in question--at first the gf was dead set on a cooper s vert--and surprisingly (MUCH to my surprise) she loved the saab the most, even though the condition of the one we test drove was abysmal (by my standards). It was a '08 black/black aero vert, all option minus nav, reaked of smoke on the inside, had trim pieces that were broken and laying in the cup holder, and was too high mileage for us to consider (44k miles). However the way the car drove and interior comfort won her over. In the 1 series you couldn't see a damn thing with top up--blind spots and rear view visibility were terrible--not to mention the car is every bit as small as its stature implies. My gf is 5' tall and she felt cramped. Also--and this could just been a downfall of the particular 1 we drove, it rattled and squeeked over bumps like a 14th century wooden ship. The saab we drove was obviously rode hard and put away wet (and also had 15k more miles than the bmw), but it was quiet and compliant over less than perfect pavement. The 328i was much better in all regards but the power left a LOT to be desired and its around $5k more than a comparable cooper and 135 vert, and almost 10k on the saab. I initially pushed hard for a 135i as i really wanted a car with the lovely N54--the 1 we drove was a rocket compared to everything else we were in that day-- and intake/exhaust/tune cars are making close to 400whp. But, after driving the 1 it seems there are too many compromises that we would have to make just for me to able haul *** in her car. Ill just have to pick up another foxbody mustang and start drag racing again, but i digress.

Anyone want to chime in with anything that we should look out for. Any common problem areas? Suspension, tranny, engine issues? Seems like the 2.8T is a fairly well built holden power plant. I haven't seen scores of threads about any recurring issues in particular aside from complaints about the quirky a/c--which i noticed when i test drove one local to me. I have shifted my focus to finding a 09+ so that we could have the power bumped 2.8T (280hp), and something around the 30k mile range. Our goal is to get it for around 18-20k, which from seeing whats available in the US, seems like it may be achievable with some haggling. Let me know your thoughts, and hopefully i'll have some pics of our new to us saab in the near future.

Here is my current daily/money pit;

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yall are a chatty bunch huh:)

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Haha not very talkative lately it seems, gorgeous dub my friend

You should have no problems finding an 08 aero for around that price, don't worry about the power bump for an 09 it isn't that noticeable and a little vtune (search) will bump you up much more (would prob beat your apr stage 2 to be honest)

The v6's here are very underrated, slap a 19T on and your looking at 335is in your rearview

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha not very talkative lately it seems, gorgeous dub my friend

You should have no problems finding an 08 aero for around that price, don't worry about the power bump for an 09 it isn't that noticeable and a little vtune (search) will bump you up much more (would prob beat your apr stage 2 to be honest)

The v6's here are very underrated, slap a 19T on and your looking at 335is in your rearview
haha i would certainly hope a car with almost 50% more displacement and bigger single turbo would walk all over my little bucket of bolts;) However i have handed out some surprises on the street--people tend to underestimate the passats but they only have a 100lbs on a gti and move a fairly decent rate with some tuning and bolt ons;ol;

·
Registered
27 Posts
gotboost is correct, the 2.8T is so underrated just the vtune puts 320bhp and over 400 ftlbs. of torque. i have both a 2006 2.0T and an '06 Aero Convertible, the 2.0T has an upgraded garrett turbo and I've taken my friends brand new 335i for a ride in that little 4 cyl. as well as an EVO X. My 2.8T has 96,000 on it and I haven't had a problem yet. These cars are great for someone who, like you, wants a great luxury/sport car but doesn't want to pull up to a stop light to the exact same car next to them. I was completely against imports most of my life until I drove my first 93 and have been Saab ever since. Have fun and enjoy the ride, can't wait to see the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gotboost is correct, the 2.8T is so underrated just the vtune puts 320bhp and over 400 ftlbs. of torque. i have both a 2006 2.0T and an '06 Aero Convertible, the 2.0T has an upgraded garrett turbo and I've taken my friends brand new 335i for a ride in that little 4 cyl. as well as an EVO X. My 2.8T has 96,000 on it and I haven't had a problem yet. These cars are great for someone who, like you, wants a great luxury/sport car but doesn't want to pull up to a stop light to the exact same car next to them. I was completely against imports most of my life until I drove my first 93 and have been Saab ever since. Have fun and enjoy the ride, can't wait to see the pics.
Is vtuner quoting whp or bhp figures? 320whp tune only would be impressive... Also, its damn expensive @ $800 for a tune--relative to the 500ish i spent on my APR, but i guess the margins need to be fatter with such a small user base.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
You can get just the tune for $499 I believe without the flasher and other obd2 stuff...

Power is bhp, 320whp on just a tune would be insanity lol, I know those passats can scoot especially after some work done hence why I said it prob would instead of def. would.

Have a couple of coil packs ready though, once you tune the weak coil packs will show there face... there cheap though and easy to do. Like I said before don't get caught up looking for an 09, after a tune both the 08 and 09 make the same power

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
How far are you willing to travel to buy a car? Your price range and mileage are doable, but it's going to take some time and possibly an out of state purchase.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How far are you willing to travel to buy a car? Your price range and mileage are doable, but it's going to take some time and possibly an out of state purchase.
It doesn't matter to me, i'm not afraid to buy out of state, i've bought cars like that before and shipped them so no sweat off my back. If it ends up being in a beautiful scenic place, then me and the other half will just fly up there and make a vacation out of it on the way back. So as i said, if the deals right, and the car is in the condition i'm looking for, i'm willing to go anywhere.

·
Registered
218 Posts
where in texas are you i know about 2 months ago the saab dealership here in san antonio was liquidating all thier saabs, they had 2011-12 9-5's going aroung 19k-23k, and the 9-3's were just as cheap. I've been activated the last month and a half not sure if there are any left or if their prices went back to normals since saab was bought again but might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in houston. Hell if i can find a new aero vert somewhere in the 20s that would be a done deal, but i doubt that would come to fruition.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Am I nuts or did the 2010 & 2011 aero convertibles lose the 2.8T? Either that or a lot of the ads I've seen are misinformed

·
Registered
675 Posts
I think spyker made them all 2.0, but i thought the 2.8 was still An option.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The 2.8T was no longer an option then.....you guys will ove the car, but I agree open you search to a 250HP car as the extra bump Saab gave it was not worth the price.

The vtuner can be had at about $500 with just the flash, and not only adds gobs of power but really transforms the way the car drives....more then any flash I have had done before, and I am a VW/Audi guy.....

If Saab had sold the 2.8T Aero with vtunner software, they would have sold liek hotcakes....

Nice Passat.

Sean

·
Registered
27 Posts
The 2.8T was a GM born power plant made more so for the american market. You know us americans got to have everything bigger, but it was made to compete with the BMW and Audi V6's. So naturally after GM sold Saab, the V6 went away going back to the original european 4 Cyl.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got rid of the girlfriends corolla today, so now the search is on! It's going to be a PITA trying to find a car for us, there are literally a handful aero convertibles '08-'09 for sale in the entire US. There was a silver '09 aero vert w/ 27k miles in KY for around 21k that i was looking at for the last month and it sold before we got rid of her daily:cry:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you're willing to make the trip to MA, it looks like this one would be perfect.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...nder&searchRadius=0&listingId=325126488&Log=0
Yep, saw that one, not very keen on the red (a bit flashy), it seems to have the cold weather package (heated seats & xenon washers) and navigation, but why doesn't it have back up sensors? I thought back up sensors were part of the touring package (which also includes memory seats, homelink, autodimming mirrors, etc), and it seems to have the memory seats, so where are the parking sensors?

The one that we have our eye on right now is in Glendale, CA. Its white/tan (the color combo that the gf wants), and it has all options. The two downsides are that its an '08 (but i have her convinced on the tune so that might not be a problem), and the fact that its a bit higher mileage than i want (i wanted 30k or less), its around 39k miles. The price seems to be pretty good, they are at $19,750, i was thinking of offering them 18k. I probably wont do more than 18.5k for the car as it will take an a*s ton of money to fly out there and drive the car back. In addition, the sight un-seen process tips the scales in their favor on the majority of the deal. It's hard for me to be satisfied with their responses (i am extremely anal about my vehicles), when i cant be there to make sure things are 100%. I also dont want any surprises from them IF we agree to something and we arrive and things are not what they seem (condition/pricing/etc.). They know if we spend 1k on a flight there for the both of us, they have us pretty much bent over, as it'll be a compelte loss for us to go home without the vehicle.

From what i have devulged from the carfax and the sales manager, the car has pretty much bounced around for the last year from auction to different dealers, basically they cant flip this thing. That made me raise an eyebrow, however the sales manager told me they were asking 25k+ for the vehicle in the past and have come down quite a bit to rid themselves of it. Here is the vehicle in question, let me know your guys thoughts/suggestions. Also if anyone is the glendale area i would appreciate it if you could stop by and take a look/drive the vehicle ( i will gladly paypal you some gas money and pay for lunch).

http://www.glendalemitsubishi.com/used/Saab/2008-Saab-9-3-bdc6c1850a0a0002001d741728401ec4.htm

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
They do say to ask for the internet price, so I would get that first and then start bargaining. I personally would not worry about the 38K miles vs. the under 30 you prefer.

If you want to save the 1500 miles from Glendale to Houston go see the car and have it shipped back. I think the cost would be about $700 and while you would have to have a roundtrip air ticket you would save on gas and hotel and wear and tear. And not burn vacation days if that is a concern.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They do say to ask for the internet price, so I would get that first and then start bargaining. I personally would not worry about the 38K miles vs. the under 30 you prefer.

If you want to save the 1500 miles from Glendale to Houston go see the car and have it shipped back. I think the cost would be about $700 and while you would have to have a roundtrip air ticket you would save on gas and hotel and wear and tear. And not burn vacation days if that is a concern.
Yea we are fairly set on this one, probably end up shipping it home if we can come to an agreement. I hope enclosed shipping wont be too pricey, last time i shipped a vehicle on an open trailer it showed up looking like it was used to storm the beaches at Normandy.

I'm going to try to see if i can find someone on one of the forums i frequent to go give the car a look over/test drive, and then it'll be down to the #'s

1 - 20 of 42 Posts