SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wats going on guys. i am currently waiting to get a family members 1995 900se signed over to me. 2.0 non turbo. auto trans. i am hoping you guys can give me some ideas on wat to do. i have been into cars my whole and i know the basics of motors and drivetrains. i do plan to convert to 5spd manual. looking to either swap the motor thats in it for a turbo. or rebuild and convert to turbo. any one please start throwing me some ideas. so i can jump on it as soon as i get it. thanks

·
Registered
771 Posts
bck900 said:
wats going on guys. i am currently waiting to get a family members 1995 900se signed over to me. 2.0 non turbo. auto trans. i am hoping you guys can give me some ideas on wat to do. i have been into cars my whole and i know the basics of motors and drivetrains. i do plan to convert to 5spd manual. looking to either swap the motor thats in it for a turbo. or rebuild and convert to turbo. any one please start throwing me some ideas. so i can jump on it as soon as i get it. thanks
man this remeinds me i need buy my buddys 96 vert, its kinda ****ed up but whatever

changing the tranny is a big task, i would say save your money up and find a turbo 5spd, you could easy end up spending more money on swapping a turbo motor and tranny into this car than what you could spend buying a turbo 5spd car

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central, you'll find a lot of usful people here.

If you have the means to swao engines and trannys, I would suggest that you throw a viggen engine in your baby, as well as the 6 spd. manual gearbox offered by Maptun.

Tons of money for tons of fun.

·
Registered
146 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
Welcome to Saab Central, you'll find a lot of usful people here.

If you have the means to swao engines and trannys, I would suggest that you throw a viggen engine in your baby, as well as the 6 spd. manual gearbox offered by Maptun.

Tons of money for tons of fun.
wouldnt the B234 out of the 9000aero be cheaper and still a T5 so much easyer to tune?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Perhaps, but the T7s aren't all bad, I may be a bit biased though. I'll agree that there are a variety of ways to do it, but I would say that it makes more sense to replace the engine than to retro fit it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
bck900 said:
well like others have said converting it to manual tranny is a big task and you might end up spending more than just buying a turbo 5 speed. but on the other hand you said the motor is a 2.0 non turbo which makes no sense.... the 2.0 is turbo, the 2.3 is not and the 2.5 v6 is not. so if it really is 2.0 its turbo. once you get the car if your still confused and not sure, throw a picture up on here of the engine and you will get your answer very quickly.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
If the guy is waiting for the car to get signed over to him, I'm guessing he's pretty young and doesn't have much coin...so, let's nix the fancy swappage ;)

I think he'll be happy with the auto tranny. It moves well, it's pretty rugged, and it won;t bleed him dry in repair costs.

If he takes good care of the car for a couple of years, he can can save money and buy a 5-speed...

·
Registered
54 Posts
sleet said:
well like others have said converting it to manual tranny is a big task and you might end up spending more than just buying a turbo 5 speed. but on the other hand you said the motor is a 2.0 non turbo which makes no sense.... the 2.0 is turbo, the 2.3 is not and the 2.5 v6 is not. so if it really is 2.0 its turbo. once you get the car if your still confused and not sure, throw a picture up on here of the engine and you will get your answer very quickly.
Of course there is 2,0 Non-Turbo 133BHP. I own one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info guys. i am seeing a lot of u guys r saying its a lot of work to do the tranny swap. is there something that makes it more difficult on saabs?? (i have issues with trusting auto trans) i am mechanically inclined and have done motor swaps and tranny swaps b4 i just never touched a saab. i should have somewhere around 3g'S to play around with depending on how much i get for my current car as well as the fact i work full time so i have a decent steady income. (all money towards parts no labor) i just happen to run into some luck with getting it signed over to me. like i said i kno cars and i know how to do work to them i am just new to saabs and looking for some good ideas that will set me up with a decent motor with decent power nothing too crazy. even if there are some mods that can be done to the 2.0 non turb that makes it more respectable. i currently drive a v8 so dropping to a 4cyl i am trying hit the ground running lookin for more power.

·
Registered
956 Posts
sirlukas said:
Of course there is 2,0 Non-Turbo 133BHP. I own one.
c900 yeah, but no non turbo 2.0 1994+. overseas yeah im not sure you might be right, but in the states 94-98 900 offered only 2.0 turbo, 2.3 n/a, 2.5 v6 n/a

·
Registered
54 Posts
From V8 to 4 cylinders, hmmmm.
You definitely need a TURBO man :)

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
you're kind of limited on what you can do to the 2.0 n/a. starting with a little over 130 hp you might be able to bump that up to maybe like 150 with exhaust, intake, new plugs and wires. If you really want to do a swap find a wrecked car from a junkyard with a turbo motor and a 5 speed and buy it. If you know what your doing it shouldn't be too hard. Everyone, is saying to just save up and buy a different turboed Saab, because you probably can get a pretty decent 900se 5-speed with 100,000 miles for about 3,000-3,500 dollars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
sleet said:
c900 yeah, but no non turbo 2.0 1994+. overseas yeah im not sure you might be right, but in the states 94-98 900 offered only 2.0 turbo, 2.3 n/a, 2.5 v6 n/a
Now I wish I lived in the USA ;)
I would love to have Turbo version.
Well, I will wait, get some money and buy Viggen vert.

·
Registered
956 Posts
bck900, says in your profile your from nj, im assuming thats new jersey, so that means if the car really is a 2.0 it is turbo. did you get the car yet? check it out, if unsure post a picture on here and you will get your answer in no time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
::wasaabiPSI:: i was actually just talkin to my buddy about headin over to the junkyards around here. i kno there is decent space under the hood but is there a motor out of a particular year or model that would fit best in to a 95 900. (also considering other aspects as in wiring and engine/tranny mounting issues)

·
Registered
956 Posts
bck900 said:
::wasaabiPSI:: i was actually just talkin to my buddy about headin over to the junkyards around here. i kno there is decent space under the hood but is there a motor out of a particular year or model that would fit best in to a 95 900. (also considering other aspects as in wiring and engine/tranny mounting issues)
before heading to junkyards seriously double check the motor in your car. you said its a 2.0 and if your in new jersey then that means its a turbo motor already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
::SLEET:: yea NJ does stand for new jersey. to be honest i have not seen the car in about 3 months but it has been in my family since it was brand new in 95. as far as i can remember back the several times i looked under the hood i saw no turbo. so its very possible that i am mixing it up with another car and it is a 2.3. but as soon as i get a chance to look at it or as soon as i get it which ever comes first u'll be the first to know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
spoke to the owner and i stand corrected i got confused. it IS a 2.3L. now that thats out of the way.. is the 2.3 worth keeping or definitely go 4 the swap?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
The Saab auto tranny after 1994 is STRONG LIKE BULL ! No joke.

:cheesy:

Seriously, though.....first find out what engine is on that thing and whether it's a 900S (2.3L, no turbo) or a 900 SE (2.0L turbo OR 2.5L V6 non turbo)

If it's the 900S...pass if you're looking for power. It makes a nice, stable around-town car, but....

If it's the 2.5L V6...pass unless you immediately change the timing belt tensioner assembly to the one used on the 9-5. The V6 can be made into a nice, responsive track car, but your upgrade possibilities are severely limited.

If you have the 2.0L turbo....:cool:...you can turn that $3,000 into a scary fast machine. Spend $1,000 on maintainence and suspension upgrades (rear ARB and post-1996 control arms to start) and use the other $2,000 on power.....

good luck!

EDIT: A 2.3L non-turbo with an auto box? hmmmmmm....

If you're being given the car, you'd need to swap both the engine and the tranny...and that would eat up about $1,000 - $1,500 of your mod money.

You might be better off getting the car and re-selling it quickly.

·
Registered
956 Posts
mike saunders said:
EDIT: A 2.3L non-turbo with an auto box? hmmmmmm....

If you're being given the car, you'd need to swap both the engine and the tranny...and that would eat up about $1,000 - $1,500 of your mod money.

You might be better off getting the car and re-selling it quickly.
if you want power i vote sell it as well. and find yourself a nice turbo 5 speed. swapping would be a lot of work and lot of money when all in all you could sell it and probably find one for around that price, and your good to go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts