SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've recently started looking for a Saab 9-3 to replace my current 320d BMW. I'm completely new to the brand, but the 03 to 08 plate shape have really got my attention of late. I love the aero package and the estate really takes my fancy, although I'd be happy with a saloon.

Ideally, I'd be looking for a manual 2.8 V6 Turbo. I car share so only commute one week in 3, meaning petrol costs don't come into factor. With 280bhp on tap, it sounds like a right hoot to drive. Although the 2.0T with 210bhp doesn't sound slow either.

I've had a varied list of cars in my past, from Sierra Cosworths, a variety of small french hatchbacks, and a few BMW 3 series.

I guess it's time to start spending my lunches researching on this forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys. I've recently started looking for a Saab 9-3 to replace my current 320d BMW. I'm completely new to the brand, but the 03 to 08 plate shape have really got my attention of late. I love the aero package and the estate really takes my fancy, although I'd be happy with a saloon.

Ideally, I'd be looking for a manual 2.8 V6 Turbo. I car share so only commute one week in 3, meaning petrol costs don't come into factor. With 280bhp on tap, it sounds like a right hoot to drive. Although the 2.0T with 210bhp doesn't sound slow either.

I've had a varied list of cars in my past, from Sierra Cosworths, a variety of small french hatchbacks, and a few BMW 3 series.

V6 is a, lovely motor, if you can try and go for a run out X version which I think is 4wd. At the moment they are sailing under the radar a bit so 6-7k should get you a good low mileage version. If not the 2.0t is the next best bet as they go like stink and as far as I recall all the petrol versions are timing chain not belt, (V6 excluded??) which makes life a bit easier. Convertibles are great but do suffer a bit from scuttle shake. Top spec is the Aero, easy to spot as it has the rear wing. Stevo

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
B284 have timing chain.
Not all Aeros have rear wing.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I test drove an auto 2.8 V6 last week. It didn't really light my fire. I think the box ruined it a bit, plus it did feel like it had an old boat anchor hanging off the front end. There was a few other bits which looked like it was going to be a bit of a money pit, so I walked away. Hopefully viewing a 2.0T Aero Estate this week on an 08 plate. Looks a tidy thing, needs a bit of work mechanically, but the price is VERY cheap, so it may be a bargain once the bits have been sorted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts