SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall! im new on here and owned a 99 9-5 se. for a while and loved it. Hit a deer and we both lost that battle. Ive had a 4runner for a year and a half and im looking at a new saab. details...

2003 Saab 9-3 linear
112k miles
5 speed
Black ext with white leather
new Pilot tires all around
New AC comp.

Price- $4850

I think im going to buy it soon, drives great and no problems that i can tell. I know its a good deal, my only worries are the sludge issues i often hear about.

What are yalls experiences with the sludge, prevention, reliability, reversal etc....

Previous owner did not have all maitanence records, probably going to order a carfax. Dealer has a report on it.

Thanks for all your help! glad to be a member here!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just keep in mind that the body style changed in 2003, meaning that the 2003 was a whole new car. There were a lot of bugs that hadn't been worked out, and many people despise the 2003's and 2004's. The price doesn't seem too bad, especially if it's in the condition you've described. I think you could still beat them down a few hundred dollars if you're willing to wait. Don't let the dealer/seller think you're anxious to buy. And if they are a dealer with a "doc" fee make sure you're taking their silly doc fee into consideration. It's really just a way they tack on an extra few hundred dollars to the price of the car. It's not a government fee, they are just charging you a fee for doing the 15 minutes of paperwork that they do to sell you the car. And don't let them tell you that the fee isn't negotiable or that they are required to charge it. That's untrue. All the dealer cares about is the margin between what he has into the car and what he sells it for. He's looking at the total number, including the doc fee. As a buyer you need to look at the total number, too. A $4850 car with a $250 doc fee is really a $5100 car.

·
Super Moderator
9,667 Posts
sludge issues was related to the previous gen 9-3(94-02),there was nothing wrong with the MY04+ models..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aerojon,

Ive read of apparent sludge issues with the 03... Do you have any write ups on this? It would make me alot happier to know this for sure! : )

Rev Sam. I appreciate your input. Ill beware of those fees, im coming in with cash so i hope to have a barganing chip. ; ) Ive always done well debating and "jewing" people down. I got my 99 saab 95se from the original owner and no problems at all, had a lot of new parts, tires, alt. water pump, battery etc.... got it for $1800 cash. I know that was a steal at the time and i wont be as lucky this time, but i hope to do well.

As for the bugs, ive read of minor issues here and there, which dont scare me much. Ive done a lot of work on cars over the years, built many, and fixed way more. So if theyre just little things i can manage and deal with them. I have heard of the ignition contril override locking up and the car not working..... this one scares me to death... if its an often occurence.... any ideas?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Depending on the size of the dealer, I would ask them if you could have the car inspected at either an Independent shop or Dealer. Friend of mine was buying a 06 Acura RL and the lot selling the car let us take the car to a Acura dealer about 10 miles down the road. Actually was able to get some recall work done during the inspection. It's worth a try.

·
Super Moderator
9,667 Posts
aerojon,

Ive read of apparent sludge issues with the 03... Do you have any write ups on this? It would make me alot happier to know this for sure!
i've been on here 7yrs,i've never seen any post regarding to sludge issues on the B207 engine..

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
aerojon,

Ive read of apparent sludge issues with the 03... Do you have any write ups on this? It would make me alot happier to know this for sure! : )

Rev Sam. I appreciate your input. Ill beware of those fees, im coming in with cash so i hope to have a barganing chip. ; ) Ive always done well debating and "jewing" people down. I got my 99 saab 95se from the original owner and no problems at all, had a lot of new parts, tires, alt. water pump, battery etc.... got it for $1800 cash. I know that was a steal at the time and i wont be as lucky this time, but i hope to do well.

As for the bugs, ive read of minor issues here and there, which dont scare me much. Ive done a lot of work on cars over the years, built many, and fixed way more. So if theyre just little things i can manage and deal with them. I have heard of the ignition contril override locking up and the car not working..... this one scares me to death... if its an often occurence.... any ideas?
The convertible in '03 was the old style that was associated with sludge. The new SS in '03 had a new engine and no sludge issues, very good engine actually.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
To: Sleepswithagun
You could have said what you needed to say without applying the term "jewing". Are you that far out of the loop that you think such a term is not offensive to a lot of people. I was very offended to read this post and the use of this term, but then again I see you'r from South Carolina.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To: Sleepswithagun
You could have said what you needed to say without applying the term "jewing". Are you that far out of the loop that you think such a term is not offensive to a lot of people. I was very offended to read this post and the use of this term, but then again I see you'r from South Carolina.

Mike,

I apologize you feel that way.

Im a little offended you think that because i live in SC im out of the loop, implying that i am uneducated. Im actually from Tampa Florida and went to USF on a Full ride. So education is certainly not the issue, nor am i "out of the loop". You live in GA, in case you havent checked, our states are extremely similar.

Im sorry if you were truly offended by my term "jewing". I have really good friends that are Jewish and they have never been offended by the term, especially when talking cars and deals. I wouldnt expect that on a car forum.... but i guess i was wrong.

May i ask what the basis is for your offense? Are you Jewish? Or do you just like to disagree with people? Most people get "offended" at things that have nothing to do with them, or their beliefs. Just curious.

If you were truly offended you really could have gotten YOUR point across without the "South Carolina" comment. Which makes me think you just like to disagree and complain about people for no reason. But i hope you prove me wrong and are different than most other people.

I will be more careful when posting next time and not use that term in fear that i will offend you once more. Although i find nothing wrong with it, ill respect you and refrain from using it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Um, back to the subject please? Little things like that could be overlooked very easily so lets all get along here...;ol;

Ive owned an '03 for two years and even had a jzw stage 1 tune and intake on it for awhile, car is a blast to drive and EXTREMELY SMOOTH. I also have an '04 5 speed and that car is a blast as well, minus a few things that were buggy in the '03 (passenger window regulator issue, SAI pump on the intake, Ignition coil packs, some other very little stuff).

BUT...I am able to say that I have been able to SWEAR by that car. I bought it at 111k and now its close 130k and still drives like new. It totally depends on the car, but I really enjoy it and its a nice looking ride, I'd shoot at 4400 and see where you can go from there... Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Um, back to the subject please? Little things like that could be overlooked very easily so lets all get along here...;ol;

Ive owned an '03 for two years and even had a jzw stage 1 tune and intake on it for awhile, car is a blast to drive and EXTREMELY SMOOTH. I also have an '04 5 speed and that car is a blast as well, minus a few things that were buggy in the '03 (passenger window regulator issue, SAI pump on the intake, Ignition coil packs, some other very little stuff).

BUT...I am able to say that I have been able to SWEAR by that car. I bought it at 111k and now its close 130k and still drives like new. It totally depends on the car, but I really enjoy it and its a nice looking ride, I'd shoot at 4400 and see where you can go from there... Good luck!

I agree, im over it. But well see. lol

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! I had a 9-5 and loved it so i hope its the same with this one. I hope to get it this week or next. Is there a fix for the SAI issue on the intake? Or just replace it? How much were the coil packs when you replaced them? The ones on my 4runner were around 140 each. Sadly.

Did you swap your tails out from a newer model? I Love them! i saw one other member do that swap but he did say it cost 700ish to get them. Like them, but not that much. lol

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The SAI never went bad on myself, i just knew it was a common issue...

The SAI (secondary air injection) feeds air into the exhaust stream during warm up to get it up to temp quicker and combust the exhaust gasses a little better. What goes wrong is the pump, and it will sometimes get condensation, and pump water into the intake :eek: but as bad as it sounds, its really not much to worry about other than the CEL, and its around a $300 part...Useless really, thats why its completely gone after 2003 :cheesy:

The ignition coil packs i believe are faulty 03-07 (someone correct me if Im wrong) and just go bad after awhile...When under heavy load, they cause the car to shudder and hesitate for a moment. There are upgraded coil packs for sale on the Genuine Saab website and it immediately fixed the problem. I got a code for Cylinders 1&2 (2 codes for coil pack errors, Cylinders 1&2, and 3&4), and just bought 2 coil packs for about $140...Ran like new after that and haven't had an issue since.

Now, the F*****G window regulator is what really honked my muffins. I had it replaced 3 times and its a $450 part, and just bad design. Luckily I only paid for half of the 3rd time because the dealer covered the other incidents since they were frequently occurring problems after I rolled it off the lot. But thats a common issue as well.

My tails I tinted myself ;ol; VHT Night Shades from auto parts store, some electrical tape and about an hour and a half of my time. Cost about 6 bucks, best 6 bucks I've spent on that car and even had room in the can a year later to do it on my 04 (no pics yet). Just little things like that make a Saab stand out more ;ol;;ol;

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Mike,

I apologize you feel that way.

Im a little offended you think that because i live in SC im out of the loop, implying that i am uneducated. Im actually from Tampa Florida and went to USF on a Full ride. So education is certainly not the issue, nor am i "out of the loop". You live in GA, in case you havent checked, our states are extremely similar.

Im sorry if you were truly offended by my term "jewing". I have really good friends that are Jewish and they have never been offended by the term, especially when talking cars and deals. I wouldnt expect that on a car forum.... but i guess i was wrong.

May i ask what the basis is for your offense? Are you Jewish? Or do you just like to disagree with people? Most people get "offended" at things that have nothing to do with them, or their beliefs. Just curious.

If you were truly offended you really could have gotten YOUR point across without the "South Carolina" comment. Which makes me think you just like to disagree and complain about people for no reason. But i hope you prove me wrong and are different than most other people.

I will be more careful when posting next time and not use that term in fear that i will offend you once more. Although i find nothing wrong with it, ill respect you and refrain from using it.
Good comment! I missed it first time around. Mike B. is probably too PC and you're probably correct that he just likes to correct people.
I too have Jewish friends and they use the term as well.

And Tmarter there is no real issue withe the coil packs at all out of the ordinary on the 4 banger. Some people have had issues with the '07 and 08' V6 coil packs though.

I'm on my 3rd SS/SC and have put tons of miles on them and never a coil pack issue.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Did you have any of yours tuned at all? I remember my coils started acting up right after stage 1, but it depends whether or not you decide to go that route....maybe the extra load is what Im going at.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
and its not like its a SERIOUS issue or anything, ive seen a handful of posts about it to be aware that there have been reported issues, however often that may be :/

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Did you have any of yours tuned at all? I remember my coils started acting up right after stage 1, but it depends whether or not you decide to go that route....maybe the extra load is what Im going at.
Sure did. Tuned both V6's when brand new. Put 95,000 mi. on the '06 with no coil pack problems. As I've said before I think the issue is overrated.

And on the 4 they are very easy to get to and are pretty cheap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts