SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Group,

I am a new member to the group and so far have found a lot of great info while searching the archives.

I wrench on all of my own cars with most of my background and experience in BMW's. I am currently in the middle of a clutch swap on an '01 BMW 325iT and my upcoming project is a 60,000 mile service on my girlfriends '04 9-3 Arc.

Two questions,

Can someone point me to a good procedure for changing the oil in a manual transmission?

Where can I get more details regarding the suspension joint maintenance called out in the 60k service list? More specifically, which joints and the required torques.

I look forward ot hearing from you and hope I can add some content to the forum going forward.

Matt

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'm not sure anyone has changed the manual transmission fluid on these cars yet. Saab claims it is fill-for-life.

When I was looking under mine it appears that the drainplug for the manual transmission is very close to a crossmember. I'm not sure if you'd be able to fit a socket in there to remove it, it almost seems like you need to raise the transmission to get the drainplug out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also noticed that the drain plug is a tight squeeze but I think it can be done with the right combo of tools...but maybe not.

I am not a big believer in the lifetime fill thing. A couple quarts of the Sabb oil and a little bit of my time is cheap insurance in my book.

Thanks for the input!

Matt

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Beginning with the VIN's listed below, all 2002 Saab models with manual transmissions have factory fill with a new manual transmission fluid. This fluid is designated: SAAB MTF 0063 and is NOT to be confused with Saab Synthetic Manual Transmission fluid that has been used since 1996.

NOTE: The new fluid is NOT to be mixed with other manual gearbox fluid, including Saab Synthetic Manual Transmission fluid that has been used since 1996. The new fluid is factory fill in vehicles from the following VIN's:
9-3 (Trollhattan) 22023982
9-3 (Finland) 27007452
9-5 23027675

In addition, manual transmissions for 1994 and later models that have been rebuilt in Sweden will have the new fluid added. These transmissions will be identified by a label marked "MTF 0063" attached to these transmissions. The new fluid will improve shift quality. It can be used to address shift complaints on previous 9-3 and 9-5 models, if the following procedure is used. STEP 1 Drain the oil from gearbox STEP 2 Install the drain plug and add 1.5 liter of new MTF 0063 fluid (part number 400132213)
STEP 3 Raise the car and start the engine, run in 1st gear for 30 seconds. Repeat steps 1-3 to insure that all the fluid is changed. The trans should take 4.5 liters to fill competely

above gleaned from the saabsite.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/...id=89&osCsid=17ec910534bcd12061cc630b10315b5d

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent, thanks for that bit of info.

The drain on our 9-3's is obstructed by the suspension so I still need to figure that puzzle out before proceeding.

Matt

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
mjweimer said:
Excellent, thanks for that bit of info.

The drain on our 9-3's is obstructed by the suspension so I still need to figure that puzzle out before proceeding.

Matt
If the fluid is synthetic I'd hold off on doing that. Save your time and money for something else that might be coming up like brakes.

BTW, good find JonV:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts