SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas,

Just bought my first Saab. A 2002 9-3 SE 4dr. Its a manual transmission. I have always owned Volvos in the past, and I'm a regular on Turbobricks. I know NOTHING about Saabs, so any info would be greatly appreciated. I am very excited about this car's potential. Thanks for all the advice, I look forward to getting to know all you guys. Also, are there regular meets/clubs in the South Florida area?

Tom

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Tom, Welcome:)

what kind of volvos? 240s? 740s? 850s?

- i had four 240s and an 850

Im sure you will love your Saab

Checkout this place and get an idea http://www.genuinesaab.com

Your car has a T7 (trionic 7) ignition system, Mitsubishi TD04hl-15t turbo, and a crossflow(viggen) intercooler.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck, Mark M

"Volvo for Life?":cheesy:

EDIT: Oh and good first mods are a Rear anti-rollbar, Steering rack clamp. --these will transform your stock car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bro. I still rock the "VFL" reppin a 91 240 m47 also. I just got rid of a 90 740 that I did all I could do to. Also had a N/A 850. So far I am really happy/excited about the Saab, so you guys will be seeing a lot of me.

·
Registered
956 Posts
krepotkin said:
Fellas,

Just bought my first Saab. A 2002 9-3 SE 4dr. Its a manual transmission. I have always owned Volvos in the past, and I'm a regular on Turbobricks. I know NOTHING about Saabs, so any info would be greatly appreciated. I am very excited about this car's potential. Thanks for all the advice, I look forward to getting to know all you guys. Also, are there regular meets/clubs in the South Florida area?

Tom
like said before, the car is trionic 7, which will be little less tunable than a t5. i recommend suspension stuff first like arb, steering rack clamp/brace, 6point sub frame brace, and spring kit. then look into power and what you want. check out genuinesaab.com for some parts and info for tuning.
--and by the way, welcome

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sleet said:
like said before, the car is trionic 7, which will be little less tunable than a t5. i recommend suspension stuff first like arb, steering rack clamp/brace, 6point sub frame brace, and spring kit. then look into power and what you want. check out genuinesaab.com for some parts and info for tuning.
--and by the way, welcome

How do you know its a trionic 7? Whats a t5?

·
Registered
956 Posts
krepotkin said:
How do you know its a trionic 7? Whats a t5?
your car is a 2002 9-3. anything 2000-2002 is t7 (trionic 7) and these are bit more limited to tuning than t5(trionic 5). certain things you CAN do with t5, you CANT do with t7.
-what kind of power numbers you looking to get out of the saab? what would you like to have?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
A smbc will still work wonders for your Saab. Your boost is retarded in 1st/2nd so a series manual boost controller allows you to increase the TOB.

Personally I'd go with the least expensive mods first (unless you have deep pockets).

SMBC $35, steering clamp rack/brace $150, 22mm genuine saab rear sway bar $180.

Also with your milage purchase a new DI cassette ($260 from eeuroparts.com).

I replaced my Cassette at 80000miles (I tried to get it replaced by Saab but they told me it was the newer model) and it transformed the car.

This is pic of the new one:

Goodluck

Rogo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im starting to see this car is NOTHING like a redblock Volvo. WTF is the DI cassette/ how does it work? How hard is it to install?

·
Registered
956 Posts
krepotkin said:
im starting to see this car is NOTHING like a redblock Volvo. WTF is the DI cassette/ how does it work? How hard is it to install?
a saab is a saab and is different and unique in its own way. di cassette is direct ignition cassette and on a t7 car like yours it will be black right in middle on top of the engine. if you look in the picture posted, its the thing right in middle right under the viggen logo on the motor. they are very easy to replace if one goes bad.

·
Registered
428 Posts
krepotkin said:

The DI cassette controls direct ignition. It's pretty much a way of firing the spark plugs through low-voltage pulses of electricity.

The cassette replaces what older engines have-- distributors. Distributors give high voltage passes to coils which fire the spark plugs in a certain order, a process which can be dangerous in certain conditions. DI allows a more precise level of ignition (controlled by your T7), firing perfectly with a low voltage amount in order to start up safely in all conditions.

I want to say the Saab DI Cassette has a coil near each spark plug rather than in a pack together, another way to keep a bunch of high voltage pulses from flying all over the place... but I haven't personally looked to see for myself.

I have never replaced the cassette myself either (sorry) so I'm not sure how hard it is to do. I don't think it is a huge deal.

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Replacing the DI Cassette is about the easiest thing you can do. Four Torx screws hold it in place and there is a single electrical connector to the right side. It lifts straight up (you will feel a little resistance which is the spark plug boots gripping the plugs).
Yes there are four small coils, one directly over each plug. The voltage is ramped up significantly here, so you are advised to not go grabbing the DIC when the car is running. (That, and it gets ferociously hot too).

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
krepotkin said:
Fellas,

Tom
Welcome to saab central. There are a lot of intelligent people that can help you when you need it.
I also have an 02 SE and I love it. One cheap and easy upgrade I would tell you to get is the SMBC (series manual boost controller) from Smart Performance, it livens up the acceleration and only costs $30 shipped.

I'm also interested in knowing what your power goals are.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Whoa, don't go buying a $260 DI cassette just yet. My 2002 (like yours) was eligible for a recall on the DI replaced free of charge. Call your Saab dealer with the VIN handy and see if it has been replaced already. If not, you likely have a new one coming anyway.

·
Registered
129 Posts
krepotkin said:
No, but they have that same swedish car smell, and quirky problems.:lol:

Im seriously thinking of building something like this in a few years, once i move into a house. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWyAMT_DBMU

I found the buildup here:http://www.boost242.se/

I would love to build up the chassis the same but run a BIG single turbo not twin. No interior all Race.

I had an 83' 242t, that would have been perfect.

Mark M.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts