SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you know if the key battery needs replacing? Does the SID notify ith any message?

·
Registered
110 Posts
when the battery falls below a certain value the SID will display

remote control battery low

it also says in the manual - the batt should last 4 years in normal use

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had been getting a Steering lock malfunction message and discovered that the car battery needed replacing...message went away with the new battery. This was 2 weeks ago. Today its giving me both the same malfuction message and a regular door lock malfunction messages.

Anybody have similar messages/issues? I was thinking the key battery but perhaps something else???

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Since SaabEds battery could well be four years old, it is time for the car battery load test and a new remote battery; also, in the manual, write down the battery part numbers, if not already done..

I use a nice big, powerful type 75 in the '97, but these newer cars.....???:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Saab-Ed said:
I had been getting a Steering lock malfunction message and discovered that the car battery needed replacing...message went away with the new battery. This was 2 weeks ago. Today its giving me both the same malfuction message and a regular door lock malfunction messages.
Have the charging system checked and also have the car battery load tested to ensure that you have a good battery.

The group 48 battery that the Saab uses is a size that is not very commonly used in the USA, so they may sit on the shelf for a while before being sold. If they have been charged at least once a month this isn't much of a problem but if the battery has been sitting for 6 months without being charged then it may have lost capacity.

I think it wouldn't be out of the question to bring a multimeter with when buying a battery and skipping any that don't read at least 12.6 volts when you check them. If they read under 12.6 volts then they have been sitting for a while and have not been charged.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Advance Auto Parts sells a Group 48 battery which fits perfectly. I bought one earlier this month with a 11/07 date sticker on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts