SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to deal with this one? The bolt (?) circled in the picture has come loose on my car, yeilding some interesting (crappy) shifting properties.

I was able to thread it in for a rotation or two, which allowed me to get the car home. However, the hex portion of the bolt is between the two pieces (blue arrow) and by tightening the bolt I will almost certainly make my wrench part of the assembly :roll: Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, how did you solve it? I really dont want to screw up the adjustment of this stuff by detaching another part of the assembly.

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks Guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Epoxy ?

Is there a situation with access to the bolt head ?

Hacksaw ?

Tap and dies ?

These are my guesses; I have never had a problem of this exact nature. But the epoxy can work "wonders", the hack saw can cut a slot on the screw head; and threads can be repaired..

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Similar problem on my old VW. Don't remember which part but I actually had to fab a few tools for various items on it... Anyway, I had to take a 10mm spanner and "thin it down" on a grinder until it could slip in with some wiggle room.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :D

I think that the thinned down wrench is what I'll try next. Actually, I might just have the correct size of bicycle 'cone wrenches' to get this done: these are thin wrenches used to fit on the bearing 'cones' of a bicycle axle while the locknuts are tightened up against them.

I was hoping to find an exploded view or get some idea of how this bolt is attached to the plastic arm, but as the whole linkage is sold as one piece, there are no exploded views of it on the 'net.

I will let you all know how it turns out, just in case someone else happens to have this failure. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Success!

I was able to tighten this up this weekend using a 12mm open ended wrench. A slimmer one was not needed; it was just an optical illusion from the rubber gasket filling up space.

The problem was that 'bolt' only has one set of 'flats.' Working in the dark in freezing temperatures, I just wasnt getting a good enough view or feel for what was goin on down there. Looking at it on a slightly warmer and much brighter Saturday afternoon helped me to see what I needed to do. Snugged that bolt back up and the shifter feels better than ever. I guess it may have even been loose when I first got the car!

Thanks for the suggestions.
-Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts