SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a '98 93 convertible which came with only one key, so when the car was serviced we got an extra key done. The mechanic told me there was no point him programming the key as the lock barrel is worn and the new key doesn't work. He says the barrel needs replacing as over the 60,000 miles on the car, the key and barrel have worn together.

I got him to prog the key anyway because our main worry was locking the only key in the car, so at least now we can unlock it. However, when I got home I found the new key doesn't work with any of the other locks!

Since the mechanic said the old key is worn, I filed some of the sharp corners off the new key and now it opens the other locks, but still not the ignition barrel.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the new key working? One thing I thought of was getting a key cutting shop to use the new key as a blank and so cut the worn parts of the old key onto it, however when I compare the two keys side by side, it appears that the indentations on the new key are more worn than on the old one, as if it's almost the same key but not quite, however the fact that it opens the other locks suggests it must be OK, or at least within tolerances.

Any ideas?

Pete

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I only got one key so when I had a new one cut it won't fit in the ignition because the ignition is worn. Has anyone had their ignition changed before? Do you have to get a new key or can you get a new one what would work with your current keys?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Wow, that's a great question. I was going to get one from a guy on ebay who auctions blanks and then cuts them for you for some extra $. Now I wonder if that's a waste of money. I think he works on the code that's stamped on the key, so in principle you should be able to get a barrel that matches the rest of your car. It would suck to have to carry two keys.

I think it does make sense that the other locks aren't as worn as the ignition since you use them less.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Not that this cannot happen; but I have never known of any key or tumbler to be worn out. And in a "low mileage" car ? Impossible..

I have seen where an old key can be removed with the car running, but the key always worked where it counted....
I suspect that this "mechanic" does not know all the ins and outs of key cutting.
Not in any car going back to 1940 , have I had any problem with a "worn-out" key or tumbler.... Periodically I use a graphite lock oil, in the '80 Mercedes I had to use both a cleaner and the graphite and 30 minutes of this..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a little skeptical myself as the old key doesn't actually look very worn, and the new key is just a little different to the old one but the wrong way round i.e. the indentations are more indented on the new key. On the other hand, it does open all the other locks now, after some gentle filing, except for the ignition.

Has anyone ever taken the ignition barrel out? How do I do it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts