SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from Miami (345 miles one way) from spending the weekend and the Saab ran great. The acceleration from 70 to 85 with the Turbo kicking in (and just depressing the gas pedal not flooring it) was awesome. What power!

Anyhow I had a great time flying around Miami with my new vert top and the car all cleaned up. I just fitted a new hood (it has some small dents, but going to fix them and then paint it green to match the car) and put the rusted hood off to the side. I noticed a small switch over by the battery (kinda like a light switch when open the hood except there is no light) that closes engages when the hood is closed. (Not sure what it does though)

I just went for a spin and the turbo starts to kick in but as soon as it reaches the red (orange) mark it starts to sputter and never fully kicks in. Now the hood is not quite fitting right, it has a 1/2 - 3/4 inch space near the front on each side. The switch is on the battery side and may not fully engage.

Is that switch part of a Turbo safety feature. Like NO massive boost and speed with the hood not fully closed? Oh, and the cruise stopped working on my way down to Miami. More troubleshooting and work to be performed yet. I hope I get everything working for a couple of years, I just do not have the time to work on this beast all the time. :roll:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
The switch is part of an alarm system, and the lack of boost that used to be there is probably a soft rubber part (elbows or rubber tubing) broken or blown off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
speed32219 said:
Is that switch part of a Turbo safety feature. Like NO massive boost and speed with the hood not fully closed? Oh, and the cruise stopped working on my way down to Miami.
I think these two are related. If something is wrong with the cruise control and the car thinks its on all the time, I believe it won't fully boost. Others can correct or confirm, but I'll bet if you fix your cruise issue, it will also fix the boost.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, there are a lot of thingie's close to the hood area including vacuum lines that I need to check. I had tried to install the hood without any help but just managed to throw it on the car/engine, prior to my wife coming finally to help me. It is easy to take off but a B***** to put back on by yourself.

I'll check everything while its off getting painted including the cruise control.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts