SaabCentral Forums banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
it will take quite a bit, yet it reaches its maximum flow capacity fairly soon. around 20psi with the proper ic setup and exhaust to keep egt's down

easiest turbo swap can be taken many different ways, if you like finding the right 12mm banjos and washers sure the 15t td04 is the way to go, its a direct swap that flows a little more than the t25 i have a td04 with the larger 6cm^2 turbine housing and its great, fun daily
I need td04 now, I'm maxed out on my t25 @20psi.... I'm guessing I have to change my 3" downpipe? or intercooler hoses?

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's nowhere written here, that we should upgrade IC to FMIC on stage 1-2 and I'm wondering how it's possible.
I'm running on saab 9-3 1999r, with t25 onboard, Aero Intercooler and stage 2, I've been unable to run normally and accelerate on full boost in hot weather.
Each time temeprature goes up to around 20`C and more, I can't reach more that 0,8bar of boost, car is really weak. In winters I don't have this issue, I get around 1,25-1,3bar pressure, so to me, it has to be IC related..
How can You run on stage 1-2 with no FMIC upgrade... ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. Newbie to the forums here. First up, fantastic source of information! Thanks so much to everyone contributing their knowledge and experience, it's invaluable. 4 years since the post was created and still being read by saab drivers...

I am in a slightly different position to most, Saab 9-3s are pretty inexpensive now so I'm thinking of buying one simply for the purposes of creating a wolf in sheep's clothing, for fun. I'm going to buy a 1999-2003 9-3 2.0 turbo, but after much research, I'm finding it a bit difficult to choose!

There's a base model which I think ran from 98 to 00, which produces a modest 154bhp. This one seems to have a lot of relatively cheap mods and maps that swiftly bring it soaring past the 220bhp mark.
Then there's another model which seems to be 2001 to 2003, with 2 variants; 150 or 185bhp. This one appears to be slightly more expensive to tune, but with the potential to go a little further before you need to start making serious alterations.

Then there's a very inexpensive 2003 "Vector" model, which is much more expensive to tune with the normal mods and map, and with seemingly similar results.

All of the above is based on me comparing different cars and then looking to see what Maptun offer in terms of stage 3 packages.
I chose Maptun because I've seen a lot of people on this forum rate them and slate BSR

So my question is this; Where do I start? Which of the older, 98-04 region, models is the best starting point for a good toy for tuning?

A secondary question, is it beneficial to fit uprated camshafts to a stage 3 car? How would this affect it? I'm just looking for a new challenge to push my mechanical abilities, figured that this might be interesting. Please, share your thoughts!

Many thanks in advance. Please note, I'm based in the UK. This may affect the "Vector" part of my question because it varied between the states and the UK I believe.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
I think the 3 different versions that you mention a the 3 different engine management systems.

First off I would assume the 2003 Vector model is in fact a 9-3SS with the T8 system, so that isn't covered by this forum. I don't think the vector moniker was ever used on the og9-3 regardless of region.

That leaves the other two:
There is the T5 system which is far the simplest (and I assume cheapest) to tune, that came in one of 3 flavors (though not all might be available in your region).
B204E 154HP
B204L 185HP
B204R 200HP (only available with a manual trans)

The 3 are basically the same engine, with the B204L including electronic boost control and a higher boost level, the B204R includes a slightly higher max boost level and a different intercooler. Since they are basically all the same basic engine it doesn't make a huge amount of difference which one you start with (though starting with a B204L or B204R makes things a little simpler since you don't need to add a boost control valve).

Then there is the T7 system, its a more fuel efficient and refined system but with physically weaker internal components (you will want to look at replacing the pistons if your HP goal is much north of 300) and also much more prone to sludging.
This came in 2 different versions
B205L 185HP
B205R 205HP
The difference between the 2 being the turbo and the software tune.

All things being equal I would pick a B204 engined car, but if your HP goals are modest and you are prepared to do a little extra preventive maintenance the B205 engined cars can be fine.

The cost of tuning the T7 ecu shouldn't be much different than that of a T5 one.

Regarding the cam shafts, there are a lot of options with various cams, the most common one is swapping the T5 cams into a T7 engine, it will give you somewhere around a 5% increase, depending on your HP goals there are likely easier and better ways to pick up the performance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
3" Turbo back exhaust

Do you happen to have part numbers or links to these exhaust systems? I see your in Kansas city as well. Do you ever take your car that has these mods to any shows or cruises? There is a Kansas city/Missouri Saab club on Facebook.

·
Registered
12 Posts
According to the Waldron Web page there isn't an option for the 9-3'same. Is there another vehicle that I should be looking at for the part number?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi all. Newbie to the forums here. First up, fantastic source of information! Thanks so much to everyone contributing their knowledge and experience, it's invaluable. 4 years since the post was created and still being read by saab drivers...

I must say that I thoroughly enjoy the Saab communities knowledge sharing etiquette and enthusiasm. I have learnt soo much over the past 2 yrs of being a Saab owner, primarily due to you awesome forum folk on here

I am in a slightly different position to most, Saab 9-3s are pretty inexpensive now so I'm thinking of buying one simply for the purposes of creating a wolf in sheep's clothing, for fun. I'm going to buy a 1999-2003 9-3 2.0 turbo,
They definitely are a sheep in wolf's clothing and make awesome sleepers. They are soo much fun with very little expensive mods required if you do your research and ask the right questions. For the record I have an OG93 02 205E (in Australia) and has been awesome to mod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tuning an automatic

Hi everyone, got a 1999 9-3 with only 26K miles, very sluggish compared to my 2007 9-3. Im going to drive it to the nearest official saab repair place 400 miles away.
Has anyone had any experience with tuning an automatic? what can I expect? t

thanks !!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi everyone, got a 1999 9-3 with only 26K miles, very sluggish compared to my 2007 9-3. Im going to drive it to the nearest official saab repair place 400 miles away.
Has anyone had any experience with tuning an automatic? what can I expect? t

thanks !!
Mike D tuning will hook it up.

26k miles thats a gem right there

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I have recently bought Saab 9-3 1999 (MY2000).
It comes with B204E 154 HP engine and it's with automatic transmission.
I would like to boost it a little bit to 200 HP and 300 Nm.
I know that I would need BPC and change ECU settings but is that all?
Do I need to change intercooler?
Is this tunning safe for reliability of engine and transmission?

Now it has 237.000 km (I'm from Europe).
Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello,
I have recently bought Saab 9-3 1999 (MY2000).
It comes with B204E 154 HP engine and it's with automatic transmission.
I would like to boost it a little bit to 200 HP and 300 Nm.
I know that I would need BPC and change ECU settings but is that all?
Do I need to change intercooler?
Is this tunning safe for reliability of engine and transmission?

Now it has 237.000 km (I'm from Europe).
Thanks
I dont think IC is necessary for 200hp, the info in the 1st page has shown the stages you can mod ur hardware to go up 200hp, or you can ask tuners like Brew city boost, Maptun etc.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You just need an Ecu upgrade and add APC valve to control boost.
That's all. up to 230KM-250KM You don't need to change anything I suppose.
I had same car with b204E tuned to stage 3, and IC was the only thing I did when moved from stage 1 to stage 3.
Some will say that at stage 3 You'd need a downpipe but in my opinion it's not so necessary. It will breathe better and EGT will be lower but I ran on stage 3 like that over three years and never had any problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good stuff here.....I've done several mods but this sheds light on other stuff that I did not think of. I went with Mike D's Stage 3 tune and was very happy....can't imagine the car stock after that upgrade:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
New to Saab scene

Hi everyone,
I’m looking to build a fast car up to 400-500bhp
I’m not sure which model to start with
Saab 900 2.0t?
Or Saab 9-3 2.0t?
Or any other model?

101 - 120 of 128 Posts