SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I bought a viggen last March, recently had the synchros go on me. i bought a transmission from a junkyard that supposedly was for the car, but i dont think it is. It's an FM55 401. Can it be used for the viggen? If not, can i just take the internals and put them into the viggen casing? What all would i take from that transmission, and what would i keep from the original?

Thank you all.

·
Registered
19,043 Posts
There's a few threads out on saablink.net about tranny models and swaps as well as some guys there who like to play inside them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I've been on there multiple times, however i haven't been able to find anything about this specific trans... was hoping to find something so i know whether or not to return this one

anyone else?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have brand new tranny in my Viggen and it's a regular 9.3. With the help of a local SAAB master mechanic (also a friend) who worked at a local dealership, we found out that the regular 9.3 tranny is the same except for the differential (an excuse to get an LSD Quaife) and the output drivers. So you can use any transmission, provided you are ready to swap the differential. 9.5 won't work as the bell housing is to long.

I'd advise that you also get the newest transmission possible such as one out of a 2003 9.3 CV. there were many upgrades over the years to strengthen them. Go for the Quaife if you can afford it...best upgrade ever! These cars have to much torque for one wheel drive ; ) If you ever upgrade to stage 3 or 4 you'll be most happy.

Either way, whatever you do, disassemble the tranny and install the upgraded crush sleeve or you will eventually really regret that you didn't. It will fail...only a matter of time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

so just to be sure here, i can get a 2000 9-3 transmission, put a quaife in it, and i'm good to go?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Almost! Don't forget the Viggen (or you can use 9.5) out put drivers, new crush sleeve (you'll have to replace the old one upon disassembly anyways) and try to get a 2002 at least.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried for a 2002 but as I am on a limited budget ( I am a college student), I can only get the 2000. What are output drivers? And I will be getting the new crush sleeve, and the trans rebuild kit (update) from GenuineSaab

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You should be fine with the rebuild kit installed. The 'out put drivers' are also called the 'companion flanges' and are the receivers for the drive shafts at the transmission. The Viggen uses shortened versions of the 9.5 driveshafts due to the increased HP and torque and thus the non 9.3 drivers.

If you do go the Quiafe route you will be very impressed....best 'upgrade' I ever did! Wait until you get the car in some snow too!!!! Your tires will also thank you!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
eEuro has them at almost $300 a piece but you could pull them at a wrecking yard from any 9.5, although they may not want to sell them without the tranny. Why can't you reuse yours? If you're on a really tight budget, reuse your differential too and skip the Quaife as it's costly. Just a thought, although if you ever wanted one, now is the time to do it!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats true i didn't even think of reusing mine I thought theyd be shot... My synchros are bad and the trans is going. THe guy who replaced the clutch used the wrong trans fluid, and he never tightened my drain plug so the trans started going. I don't really know what i can reuse and whatnot, and i figured (as far as the differential goes) why not just get a qauife now haha... so you think my drivers would be good?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
are the ring gears different as well? also, have you hear anything about the obx lsd? toying around with the idea especially because its less than half price than the quaife...

I really appreciate your help with all of this... I got this car in such poor condition but its such a nice car I just wanna fix it up and start some tuning :)... don't know if the motor will handle it though at 170k haha

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Not sure about the ring gear, but if you do get the Quiafe, the install kit that GS has is a good idea.

As for the OBX, I've only heard bad things namely the build quality and how people modify them to get them to work and last properly. Not sure I'd want to 'build' my own LSD nor would I want to trust something that important. The risk of doing the job again and more than likely finding another tranny is worth more than a few hundred dollars to me....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts