SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

I am new to this forum and so far I'm enjoying all the conversations and great information I'm reading. Everyone seems very nice and helpful. I could go on and on but the reality is I need your help.

I recently purchased a 2001 9-2 SE Convertible. I took it into the dealer for the 20K service (it has low miles) and asked them to check out a rattling noise that seems to be coming from the left front of the engine. It sounds it's coming from between the left front tire and the engine. I think that's also where the clutch is located.

I've read several threads on saab.net concerning this problem and even searched on here but couldn't find any. I haven't been able to find anyone who has been able to fix this problem -- or at least reported back. Lot's of people report it but no one ever says what the heck it is. I read hours upon hours of speculation but alas, never a concrete answer.

The dealer says it the clutch plate and wants $1500 to r/r. I don't mind paying if that's really what it is. I'm not have ANY clutch related problems concerning shifts etc. The only problem is the rattle, which gets worse with the a/c on and goes away with the clutch depressed.

Any thoughts? I really need to know the solution so I can go in on Monday morning a little wiser than I am right now.

Thanks everyone and I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

James

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Welcome to the board!

I would not be too quick to replace a clutch at 20k miles. Unfortunately some dealers tend to replace expensive parts w/o doing much investigating. Unless you know your driving style is very hard on the clutch.

Perhaps read the threads describing noise on deceleration, coasting in gear and compare notes... I am still on the same clutch at 110k and hoping to make it to 125.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49170

If you drive it very hard and your car really needs a new one at 20k miles, I would look into an upgrade to a higher performance clutch, like the those sold by genuinesaab.com and others online.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree with PMI. 20K for a clutch is low, unless you are very very hard on it or it has a defect. Also to add, with some dealers its always those parts that arent under warranty that seem to need to be replaced when an issue arises. I cant count the number of times I spent good money on a fix only to find out eventually and painfully $$ it was something else. That is one of the reasons years ago I got into DIY. Is there a possibility for a 2nd opinion, perhaps saab expert mechanic?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought the Saab about ten days ago and have only driven it about 250 miles. The previous owner was a female; not that it really matters. My sister is pretty hard on cars. I guess what I'm saying it I don't think she was popping the clutch at red lights. The car fax report shows it was serviced at odometer mileage reading: 61, 5885, 10063 and 13975...all spaced about a 6-8 months apart.

I just find it very hard to believe this car was abused and that the clutch needs replacing.

But, back to the rattle. What could it be? It can be heard when the car is in neutral idling or right when I start to take off it gets louder. The only time it goes away is when I have the clutch pushed in. Oh, and it's twice as loud when the a/c is on auto.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? How did you fix it? I'm hoping it more of a pulley or something like that.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I have never known of any relationship between a rattle and the clutch mechanism..

Something is loose somewhere, for instance, exhaust or a heat shield - finding rattles is not my forte(hard of hearing)...

This "rattle" sounds to be transmission bearings if the noise abates when the pedal is depressed..
But bearings can go at 50 to 150K miles and then they grind and groan, not rattle..
Check the union of the engine and transmission and check the chassis and mounts - but none of this is very likely..

Check the service records, any major work ??

A good indie can go any clutch work for far less than the greedy dealer....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like a something electrical like a fan that is loose inside a plastic housing but that doesn't explain why it goes away when the clutch is pressed in. My fear is I have the clutch replaced and it wasn't the problem after all!

Someone said it could be the throw out bearing but that would only make noise when the clutch is pushed "in" not "out".

Here's some posts from other Saab owner's in another forum. The reason I put them here is so you can see it's not just me. LOL

• I'm getting a faint racket (rattling) from the transmission when I'm at rest, it goes away when I step on the clutch. I thought it was the throwout bearing; I did alot of searching, i came up with two conflicting answers. Basically, some say it CANNOT be the t/o because the noise goes away, and some say it absolutely IS the t/o for the same reason. Maybe it's a matter of clutch design.
  • Not sure if this is same but I have 2001 Viggen and heard ticking noise
    coming from left front. After much tinkering figured out it was coming
    from clutch housing which is on left side of engine compartment. Also, the noise is much more noticable when there is increased load on engine when A/C compressor kicks on. Try parking close to wall, turning steering wheel full right and turn on and off A/C. If you depress clutch the noise almost disapears so there must be some play somewhere in there causing rattle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts