SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello eveyone... I'm a new member here. This past Saturday, I bought a 2006 9-3 2.0T. I love the car, although a little worried about the electronics. The Saab has only 34,000 miles on it!

I was able to bring their price lower due to the radio not working, and I figured with the money I went down, I'd be able to get a new radio/setup. Well, I'm now thinking I don't want to re-do the original setup for the amp (the amp1 is the one under the seat, right? It's toast - opened it up and a capaciter is bad), I would rather "redesign it". For a temporary fix, I tried doing what some others have said on a thread on here, to use a bic pen (the piece the ink is in), cut the fiber optics inside the unit, then create a loop by connecting the two cut wires (using the pic pen part). I installed the amp back under the seat, but the radio still won't turn on.

Am I missing/not understanding something? What are my options on alternative locations for a new amp? What are my options on a new amp? If nothing, is there a way people are "water proofing" their amps that are under the driver side seat?

Also, I'm on the waiting list for a 2nd key to be made (the dealership only had 1 when I bought the car). :cry:

I'll post pictures of which head unit I have in a little bit to help decide what my options are.

ETA: Also, while driving out of a parking lot one evening, my door locks went crazy, locking and unlocking themselves!! Very strange!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red light is coming out of the harness under the seat, so I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the cabling.

Do I need to take off the jacket of the cable? I didn't do that, I just cut the fiber optic cable and stuck the two ends into the pen part, trying to get the ends as close as possible.

I'm thinking I need to remove part of the plastic on the fiber optic cable... I've never done that before. Am I on the right track?

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
Welcome to SC..

no alternative locations,due to the fact the amp input signals are fibre optic fed(no aftermarket amp will work)

the green screen is an icm2(saab speak)control panel the ehu is behind the cc panel.

if you only have one fob get another asap otherwise $$$ to get it back on the road,as the system needs at least 1 working fob to program another to the system(dealer or saab indy with access to techII to program key)

ref door locks get the battery checked wierd things happen with these cars when the battery starts to go south..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I just made it difficult for myself. I shouldn't have cut the wire leading in and out of the inside of the amp, I didn't realize I should have just tried to take it directly out. ;oops:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
i superglued mine together and then wrapped it in electrical tape. But i now went a different route and removed amp 1 completely and added a small 300w amp

·
Registered
302 Posts
door locks

Door locks

I have the auto door lock enabled, locks at 20mph
If i drive of very slowly when i get to 20 mph they lock ,unlock and lock again.
If i drive off normally they just lock, seems to be a speed thing.
Always been like it since i had it enabled (strange)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok, so you have light from the optical cable at the amp1 plug? If so amp1 is still most likely the culprit but your internal bypass didn't work. My suggestion is to do the job properly with a MOST cable connector on the cables on the external plug that the amp1 plugs into. Cost $20 and instructions are here.

http://www.etadyne.com/DIYmost.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts