SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this message.
I recently toasted a head gasket in my 1999 SAAB 93 TURBO.
I was told by a foreign auto repair mechanic that I should replace the (10) head bolts too. I am doing the head gasket replacement myself and the mechanic is not making anything.... he is just giving me advice. I am sitting here trying to figure out the reason for needing to replace the (10) head bolts. Could someone fill me in as to what the reason would be ?
Thank you.
Rick

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Rick_1950 said:
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this message.
I recently toasted a head gasket in my 1999 SAAB 93 TURBO.
I was told by a foreign auto repair mechanic that I should replace the (10) head bolts too. I am doing the head gasket replacement myself and the mechanic is not making anything.... he is just giving me advice. I am sitting here trying to figure out the reason for needing to replace the (10) head bolts. Could someone fill me in as to what the reason would be ?
Thank you.
Rick
They are designed to stretch when torqued down. After a certain point, they lose sufficient tensile strength to hold sufficient torque. You SHOULD replace them with new. You can get ARP bolts if you want, but they are a little more than double stock price and are not necessary for stock applications (unmodded cars).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts