SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've got a bit of an oil leak down the back of my engine, it's slow, barely noticable at all, except that it drips straight onto the exhaust pipe :confused:
I haven't noticed any oil in the coolant or vice versa, so I'm thinking the head gasket should be fine, I just need to torque up the head bolts, which means I should replace them.
I've found the right bolts from a few places, just want to get some verification on the procedure. There's been quite a few posts on this regarding the 4cyl motors, haven't seen anything adressing the 6 though.

Could anyone correct me on the procedure if i've made any mistakes:

Pull off intake manifold. (instructions here:http://www.family-burgess.com/concept-autosport//v6spark_main.htm)

Replace bolts one at a time, torquing to stage 1 as I go, then follow the rest of the torquing in sequance as per the WIS:

Replace spark plugs while I've got the manifold off.

Put the manifold back on.

Questions:
Do I have to drain the coolant to do this procedure?
Does the manifold gasket need replacing, or can I reuse the gasket there with a bit of gaskant sealant goop added?

Are these the head bolts? (circled in green) or do they remove the plastic cover to get the the head bolts?

WIS picture doesn't really match the photo.

Thanks all,
Andrew

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Betcha your cam cover's leaking and it is nothing to do with the head gasket ;) .

If you suspect it is a head gasket and it needs a tweak then you'll want to get the camshafts out of the way, this means a timing tool to lock the engine out.

You don't need to drain coolant; if you are careful then the gaskets can be re-used; the circled bolts are for the cam cover, headbolts under there, under the camshafts.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, that makes sense. Didn't realise that was the cam cover, hadn't realised that there were cams there, though obvious now that I know. It's a learn lots as I go job with this car :cheesy:.

So, if it is just the cam cover, I'm guessing it's pretty safe to take it off and have a look under it without mucking up the timing, and checking that its gasket looks alright? As in replace the gasket, if it's leaking it'll want a new one.

Thoses bolts holding the cover down shouldn't be stretch ones that need replacing either, should they?

I'm assuming it's the 'camshaft cover' in the WIS that should be tightened to 8Nm....that's not particularly tight, have to do that by feel I think, the torque wrench I have access to doesn't go that low.
It'd be good not to have to go near the head bolts I think, especially if it's going to take special tools to do it.

Thanks!
Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts