SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards and to saabs in general. My girlfriends parents have a 03 9-5 turbo and I have a few questions.

1. I'm gonna be changing the brakes soon and was wondering what pads you guys recommend?

2. They said that they let the car run low on gas one time and ever since then they've had a rough idle. They said they had it tuned up plugs etc... but the idle is still not right. They think that it is the fuel filter, and I was wondering if anyone else thinks that would be it.

and if so where is the fuel filter located?

3. when they turn left(i think is what they said) there is like a thumping sound present. Just wondering if anyone else has had this same or similar problem, and what was the solution.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Josh

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
  1. Brakes - I use Mintex Red Box pads on my 2000. They create lower dust than the original pads and offer great stopping power, but being semi-metallic means they squeal ocassionally. You may be best to use the Saab factory ceramic pads from 2006 and later - no dust and quiet.
  2. The fuel filter is located beneath the car under the rear passenger side. It is a canister nearly the size of a Foster's beer can protected by a plastic stone shield. How low did the gas get in the tank? The problem may be caused by a dirty filter, but the fuel pump is sensitive to being run dry also. Try the filter first, it is much cheaper!
  3. The noise while turning may be related to the worn brakes, or could be a bad CV joint, or even just debris behind the rotor and dust shield. Inspect everything carefully when replacing the pads.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Two most popular brake pads seem to be Akebono ceramics or EBC Redstuff.

What plugs did they use when doing the tune-up? Saabs are very particular about NGK resistor type plugs and don't like equivalents.

Have a look at the FAQ's section for a talk through of changing the fuel filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for the plugs, i'm actually not sure what was used...I'll ask them. I appreciate very much the quick/very helpful responses. I'll post an update as soon as possible.

Thanks again

Josh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still haven't gotten around to changing anything out yet, but I had a couple questions about the brake pads.

1. Just wanna make sure that the 2006 pads from the 9-5 will fit? maybe a dumb question but just to make sure. And i'm guessing these are somewhat of an "upgrade"?

2. what do they usually cost from the dealer?

3. is the dealer the best place to purchase?

Thanks again

Josh

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Some US Sites

2. what do they usually cost from the dealer?
I use this site to check parts prices. http://genuinesaab.com/pricing/

3. is the dealer the best place to purchase?
YOu can use this site http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/95brakes.htm for parts numbers. I've had success with them. I've heard www.eeuroparts.com works well to along with www.genuinesaab.com . My wife researched some prices for me and actually found that getting them at the local dealer was cheaper :eek: (in some cases) due to the lack of shipping and handling prices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys, I changed the brakes out and there is some pulsing in the pedal...and you can kinda hear scraping coming from I think the rotors. It's kind of a chh-chh-chh-chh-chh-etc..

Is this a rotor problem? maybe some warpage? If so how hard is it to pull the rotors to have them turned?(or whatever the proper word is)

Thanks again

Josh

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sometimes new pads take a while to run in. EBC redstuffs and other ceramic pads can be noisy whilst being bedded, early in their life and when cold.

You need to bed them first.

Go to a highway, do 40km/h to 100 km/h. then brake to 40 again. Do this 4 times. Then and this is the tough one... go to 100km/h and then let the car stop without touching the brakes....(or slow to as slow as your auto will let you)

The pulsing in your pedal is your ABS working. How long since the brake fluid was changed?

I also presume you didn't touch your rotors?

·
Registered
197 Posts
did you put the spring back on in the right position, if not, it will not operate right, you'll get a pulsing when you press down the first time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts