SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The car is about an hour away. Seller says the slave cylinder is bad because he used the wrong hydraulic fluid and he doesn't want to do the job because a special tool is required.

Is this possible the wrong brake/clutch fluid can ruin the seals? (Edit: apparently the hydraulic system was converted to use synthetic only?)

Is a special tool required for the job?

Car is a non-turbo, base model 8 valve and has 220k on it with no A/C. Kinda just basic transportation but in nice shape.

·
Registered
13,179 Posts
It's a strange story, but some fool may have switched to DOT 5 silicone fluid. If it later got mixed with standard fluid disaster could be looming. The whole story sounds a little fishy, so it better be really cheap. Keep in mind that the brakes and clutch share a reservoir; contamination in one is contamination in both systems.

There are a hundred threads here about how to replace the clutch with or without Special Tools.

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
If done properly, DOT 5 fluid is fine. But to do it properly invloves changing every rubber component in the whole system , flushing the metal pipes and flusing the calipers, master cylinders, slave cylinder.

I've been running silicone for years in mine, and my Dad has been running silicone for decades in his with no bad symptoms.

Do it wrong, and you can get into a mess :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The whole story sounds a little fishy, so it better be really cheap.
Define cheap. What kinda dollars are you talking?

If done properly, DOT 5 fluid is fine. But to do it properly invloves changing every rubber component in the whole system , flushing the metal pipes and flusing the calipers, master cylinders, slave cylinder.

I've been running silicone for years in mine, and my Dad has been running silicone for decades in his with no bad symptoms.

Do it wrong, and you can get into a mess :)
So running non-synthetic after conversion to a synthetic system can cause seal failure?

Some images.

another

another

·
Registered
780 Posts
Asking price is $850.
Sorry but $850 for a four door 85 that must have rust somewhere and "slave" problem no way.

Just to give you an idea :

1990 Rusted 900s for $350 ( engine in good condition and manual transmission in ok condition, body is gone)

1991 Four door Auto No rust at all, bad AAM ( only that) , original stereo etc (now is my parts ca) really good condition it cost me $350 in Canada.

I'm not bragging here but I think that is way to high and that you can find a 900s in good condition for better price and two door.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Obviously geographic areas are going to play heavily in what is a "decent price" and what is a "no way"

That 85 looks super clean, high mileage or not, and for $850 (or $700 if you can get it for that) around here that wouldn't last an hour if all it needed was the slave replaced.

Just anudda way to look at it...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Maybe I should ask where is the car ?

if is in the States then I think that is too expensive, Vancouver BC has been always much expensive on that front.

I think that sometimes people rush to opportunities that sometimes are not the best like I did with my SPG and sadly I have to say that if I have the chance of doing it again I will not do it. Is better to wait for a better opportunity I think.

4 doors cars have bad resale in my opinion.

If the car is in UK or somewhere else, I can't speak on that.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
For that price, I'd be all over it. Rust free with that interior? If everything else is sound (besides the reported slave cylinder) I'd take a hard run at it. Here you can't find a piece o'carp for that price and I'm only familiar with my region of the planet...but it's hard to find one in any condition at that price here. Have to be real lucky to get one under $1500 that doesn't need a lot of work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts