SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a '95 900se conv this weekend dirt cheap, and it needs lots of TLC, but the most pressing for me is to fix the top (even if is 25f outside). The seller said it was "broken and don't use it till you get is fixed), so the first thing I did was push that magic button after I paid for it.:cheesy:

The top works correctly right to the part when the last of the top is about 1.5 feet from dropping into the hole. The driver side all of a sudden drops free about 4 inches, and the passenger side holds the whole thing up. If I press LIGHTLY on the passenger side, the motor spins, and the top "even ups" with the driver side, then I can pust the button again and it will finish the task correctly.
Putting it up has a similar problem. It will go up about 1.5 feet, and the same side will drop. If I hold it up even with the passenger side, and hold the button, it will continue, and finish the task again.

I have many of the pdf files on this electric top, but it is still mostly greek to me, I'm not sure where to start.........

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just curious: how cheap is dirt cheap? I am looking at C900 verts myself, but wondering what come GM900 verts sell for...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Eric; That's a nice looking NG900

The top is complex and my direct experience is limited to repairs associated with tonneau drive motor/gearbox issues, but that said, your problem would seem to be related to the bow motor drive rachet gear, see attached.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/900new/NG900Convparts.htm

These two gear motors sit inside the body between the rear seatbacks and the body, you can see the tops of them when the top is mid-way up or down. I'm not sure how to access them but removing the inner upholstery panel would be a start. If one rachet gear has a stripped region I could imagine it acting as you report, but this is a WAG (wild $%&*-ed guess..)

Good luck,

John
1997 900S 2.3 5 speed 'vert 150K miles tommorrow....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Speaking of emblems

The paint on mine suddenly came off this week. I also same a newer 9-5 today with a bald one too. You would think after all these years they could get a vendor that makes paint that sticks.

I ordered one today. $22 from the Saab Site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts