SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I'm still new to the saab thing, so please excuse any ignorance on my part. I have a 2000 Saab 93 conv SE I bought in Feb. The front pads looked worn to me - although I am not having any issues with them. A mechanic I took the car to today confirmed I need new front brake pads as they are down to 4mm. However, he also said that I need new rotors. He showed me that the rotors had a "lip" on them on the outside outer edge, which has formed after the shoes have worn the main "plate" of the rotors. However, this "lip" is really small - I would estimate about 1 to 2 mm max. I do not have any other brake peformance issues - no vibration or pulling, etc. I can't see that my rotors are in any bad shape, I expect that they will wear gradually over time, but they don't look that bad to me. I simply want my pads changed, but am not sure if I am being taken "for a ride" with being told I have change rotors at the same time. The mechanic went as far as saying that "generally, performance european cars need to have their rotors changed at the same time as the pads as they cannot be machined - same for BMW, Mercedes and all those others". He compared them to the rear ones, which have no lip on them. Is a 1-2mm lip a tell-tale sign that new rotors are required? Or is this just a load of old nonsense? Your comments and advice are much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
European cars do tend to use pads that wear down rotors faster, and a lot of people replace the rotors when they replace the pads, but that's not always necessary. The rotors may have a minimum thickness amount cast into them. If so, then some calipers will tell you if you really need to replace them. Still, if the lip is closer to 2mm, then they probably are pretty worn. You might consider some different pad, like ceramics, which don't wear down the rotors like the stock pads do.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hello all

I'm still new to the saab thing, so please excuse any ignorance on my part. I have a 2000 Saab 93 conv SE I bought in Feb. The front pads looked worn to me - although I am not having any issues with them. A mechanic I took the car to today confirmed I need new front brake pads as they are down to 4mm. However, he also said that I need new rotors. He showed me that the rotors had a "lip" on them on the outside outer edge, which has formed after the shoes have worn the main "plate" of the rotors. However, this "lip" is really small - I would estimate about 1 to 2 mm max. I do not have any other brake peformance issues - no vibration or pulling, etc. I can't see that my rotors are in any bad shape, I expect that they will wear gradually over time, but they don't look that bad to me. I simply want my pads changed, but am not sure if I am being taken "for a ride" with being told I have change rotors at the same time. The mechanic went as far as saying that "generally, performance european cars need to have their rotors changed at the same time as the pads as they cannot be machined - same for BMW, Mercedes and all those others". He compared them to the rear ones, which have no lip on them. Is a 1-2mm lip a tell-tale sign that new rotors are required? Or is this just a load of old nonsense? Your comments and advice are much appreciated.

Thanks.
That’s bull, if the rotors are in spec, and you have them machined down and they still are, then your fine. When you change your pads, you should always have your rotors replaced, or machined down.

fyi, if the rotors are out of spec after the machining, then they need to be replaced, or they will warp and sometimes even crack.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Its not the end of the world. New ones are smooth and flat, but as you use them the rotors will wear and a lip will develop. You will get by fine with just replacing pads. But consider it when the next time rolls around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to you all for your prompt replies. I'll see if I can get by somewhere else with machining the existing ones. By the way, how much would you expect to pay for changing front pads? I've had four quotes that vary from $159 (Firestone auto center) to $550 (dealership - may have included new rotors, though).

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
If you're the least bit mechanically inclined, changing your own brakes isn't hard. Buying the most expensive pads and rotors won't cost you any more than $250, or you can do it on the cheap for not much over $100. Just doing the pads will only cost between $40 and $90.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Google changing pads on your particular car. You will find step by step instructions with pictures. It's about a 30 minute job if you've never done it before. It's a nice way to get into DIY car repair.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jeremy R. said:
If you're the least bit mechanically inclined, changing your own brakes isn't hard. Buying the most expensive pads and rotors won't cost you any more than $250, or you can do it on the cheap for not much over $100. Just doing the pads will only cost between $40 and $90.
I'd like to know where you found rotors and pads for $250... Unless you mean for the rear axle only.
I've called 4 parts places and the dealership and the general result is minimum of $500 for all 4 rotors/pads. The dealership quoted me $900, just brakes quoted about $650. Autozone part shopping puts me just over $500 plus my time for labor.
I'd really like to not spend that much so if you can give me a place to buy the parts for $250 you would be my new favorite person.

thanks

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
rfdphoto, we are talking about a different saab altogether than yours, however:

$210 will get you front pads and rotors from EEuroparts, and $160 will get you the rears. This is for your 04 9-3sports sedan, which is the next forum section up.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
We need to nip this rumour in the butt right now. Saab rotors can absolutely 100% guarenteed be machined down, just like most other cars. Any one telling you different is LYING. As long as the minimum thickness is still being met, you can machine them as many times as you need to. I did it twice on my previous 1994 900.
Cost for pads only should be no more then $140~$160 installed.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
CleveSaab said:
We need to nip this rumour in the butt right now. Saab rotors can absolutely 100% guarenteed be machined down, just like most other cars.
I had both fronts and rears machined, each once. No issues. Checker recently advertised $15/rotor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts