SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello saab friends,

My beloved 900 S is just coming up on 250,000 and it is losing it's clearcoat, has some wear and tear all over and trauma to the front bumper. Today the front right fitting was hanging down and I could feel the drag as I drove.

So - I guess it is time for a new front bumper. I believe they're pretty expensive new, to replace the front rubber and the side panels but has anyone had any luck getting this at a salvage and if so, how much did you pay?

I love this car and am trying to keep up with repairs and maintenance but in the last year it has really run down physically and now the bumper is hanging off. I don't have alot of funds right now or I would maybe spring for a good part - but I have also had some good luck with salvage parts. The engine is just great and I really put my energy into that, but I need to replace the bumper! Any thoughts or experience with doing this? As a female I don't want to get soaked when I visit the salvage yards -

Thanks all -

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! I just searched for 'front bumper assy' with year, make etc and this looks pretty promising. Not sure what an 'assy' is but I will learn I am sure!

That's awesome, thank you so much for the link -

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You say the bumper is hanging off, maybe it just needs new retainers. Do you have a picture of it?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took some pictures and will try and get them uploaded. My poor car! I just love it but it is wearing out and needs a makeover.

Would people here take the good car they have and re-do it? paint, shocks and everything in order to keep it going indefinitely - or would you just get a new car? I am thinking I will keep this car as long as it works well and just keep up the external maintenance as I go along and can afford it.

Thanks for telling me what an 'assy' is, lol !

Attachments

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
Be aware that car-part.com is often out of date IME, but it's a good starting point. Start calling the yards that have multiple bumpers listed.

The assembly likely includes the metal in the back, not just the plastic shell. Some yards will even leave the foglights in, etc as they just cut wires and don't really care about that stuff.

Easy job... only tough part will be that the screws that hold your lower shields on are likely very rusted - unless you had them out and changed / anti-seized them previously.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I took some pictures and will try and get them uploaded. My poor car! I just love it but it is wearing out and needs a makeover.

Would people here take the good car they have and re-do it? paint, shocks and everything in order to keep it going indefinitely - or would you just get a new car? I am thinking I will keep this car as long as it works well and just keep up the external maintenance as I go along and can afford it.

Thanks for telling me what an 'assy' is, lol !
With this car im gonna keep it as long as i can. I love how easy and cheap these cars are and theyre great cars. Getting front and rear bumper covers for $150 sometime soon for mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts