1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

This is my first time in saab central
I come from Spain and here the "Saab Culture" is not very advance
The saab market in spain is very reduce and I'm a strange guy that have fun reading saabcentral (even with my bad english...)

This year I got one of my dreams, a 900 T16 '85
I'm trying to work every moth in updates but my money and my knowhow is not too much.

Recently I got this two pieces in ebay:
I don't know perfectly well how to fit the wastegate (I'll need some kind of adapter)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7987049900&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4572734957&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

And now I'm thing about and hybrid turbo and a reprograme ECU

What doy you think is the apropiate Turbo? I'm looking for a real solution, I can't afford a 300 bhp 900.....
An easy solution...

Please, feel free to suggest me whatever you think

Thanks alot
Luis

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
greetings and ola

1st up, dont worry about your english.... its actually much better than some of the posts on here from people who speak english as a first language - just my little pet hate :evil: :evil: Come on people!!!

Secondly, before you go down the route of bigger turbo's and the like, BIG power gains can be had from improving the flow of fuel, air, and exhaust gases, for MUCH less money and effort

use the search facility on the forum for the following:

performance air filter
cold air induction
intercooler
3" exhaust
apc modification

la buena suerte y goza de su saab
good luck and enjoy your saab

G

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ola amigo,

DRG is right, stuff the turbo for the time being, the most extra power is to be gained by improved exhaust flow. That's for the least amount of money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstable thanks for your help and opinions.

I didn't talk about the cooling system

I mounted a Speedparts JR filter induction kit
My APC is modified, I've something similar to a redbox incrising all the parametres

I think I must be around 190-200 bph cause the turbo is modified too (by the previous owner, I don't know exactuly what he did).

Incluiding the new 2.1 intake manifold, the 30 lbs injectors and a volvo 740 intercooler I hope be over 200; is this the moment to chiping my ECU?
Would let died the air turbo an then set an hybrid one? Wich one?

This is my proyect...

I begun with the easy things (paint, aero kit, whaletail...)
Then springs, shocks, air filter...
Now I want follow with the engine...

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which wastegate, the one I bought in e-bay? (the link I sent)
Probably to buy it was a big mistake, I thought it would be a good idea for the future (changing the turbo and adapting it to the exhaust manifold) but I recognice again that my mecanic knowledge is very poor (and the item description didin't help me a lot) :confused:

What is the real or the right use for the wastegate that I bought?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yeah, the one you bought on eBay.

A wastegate regulates the maximum boost pressure by venting off excess boost. Normally this is a save value so no knock will appear with low octane fuel.

However, on a car with APC the APC and solenoid will regulate the wastegate and will bypass the wastegate untill knock appears in the engine. When knock appears the APC will ask the solenoid to no longer bypass the wastegate so the wastegate will open up under the higher boost pressure. This will lower boost and thus end knocking. APC senses this and will ask the solenoid to again bypass the wastegate so boost can increase again.

I have no idea what the added value is of the wastegate you bought...

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
That waste gate you bought looks great! i wouldnt sell it, keep it and am sure it will come in very useful one day.

your car looks stunning and you have done some nice work on it Perdi:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts