SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my order in for the new lightened flywheel on GS. I was going to see if anyone had any experience with it until I realized that it has only been out since 9-22. Well anyways I will let you guys know what I think when I get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
I had a 7.5lb Fidanza flywheel on my integra type-r engine. Coupled with a lightened crank pulley, the engine did change RPM quicker with the clutch in. Its not an enormous difference but the quicker response does help for quicker throttle blips to downshift.

Are you going to do your clutch while youre in there? Its an awful lot of work if youre just doing the flywheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
i'm thinking about getting this too as I need a clutch job shortly...going to get the Spec stage 3 and a new pp as well :cheesy: Then I can go ahead and get some software (FINALLY) without shredding my already-slipping clutch...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will let you know how it feels. It should be on the car tomorrow. I had to do the next day air shipping. Kind of in a hurry since I have been driving a 97 Dodge Ram for the last 3 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
I put an 11lb on the Eclipse. I 'reckon that, and Removing the balance-shafts(or at least the chain) would be a world of difference on the saab, as it was on the eclipse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
NCviggen said:
i'm also thinking about taking off the A/C, alternator and starter as well ;) I figure I can put the windows down, install a hand crank, and plug the battery in to a charger every night... should gain at least 45hp at the wheels, what do you think?? :lol:

seriously though, keep us posted on the installation, how much it cost to have it put in, what sort of improvements you notice, etc etc!

I think it's a D-bag reply...

Losing reciprocating mass is HUGE. There's usually a 20-30HP gain in losing them in a DSM. losing them in a saab would be similar. losing 10-15# in a flywheel is gigantic. you're losing power, and slowing the revving of the motor.

bull-nose'ing the crank is the next step in losing reciprocating mass, and freeing up HP. the final step....knife-edging. pretty serious, for people that build race motors.

it's not about losing weight in the car... it's about losing weight in moving parts.

either way.... have fun! I bet a light flywheel in a saab is night/day
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
G96nt said:
I think it's a D-bag reply...

Losing reciprocating mass is HUGE. There's usually a 20-30HP gain in losing them in a DSM. losing them in a saab would be similar. losing 10-15# in a flywheel is gigantic. you're losing power, and slowing the revving of the motor.

bull-nose'ing the crank is the next step in losing reciprocating mass, and freeing up HP. the final step....knife-edging. pretty serious, for people that build race motors.

it's not about losing weight in the car... it's about losing weight in moving parts.

either way.... have fun! I bet a light flywheel in a saab is night/day
I've done a flywheel reduction exercise with a previous Saab and it was well worth it [requires a change in driving style though ;) ]


Do not chop the balance shafts, Saab engineered the engine to hold together with them, not without! Also the front crank weight is key to absorbing vibration that'll rattle the internals apart quickly otherwise - retain these features.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,857 Posts
I don't agree, the balance chains are there for grandma's who hate vibration and noise... Mine have been off over 2 years and it did increase the rpm spool time and felt just like a lightened flywheel... The only difference was a slight increse in vibration at idle only, just like poly motor mounts....

No ill effects as of yet....

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I should be getting the part today. I had it overnighted, and as soon as it gets here it is going straight the shop. I will keep you guys posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,876 Posts
John Z Williams said:
I don't agree, the balance chains are there for grandma's who hate vibration and noise... Mine have been off over 2 years and it did increase the rpm spool time and felt just like a lightened flywheel... The only difference was a slight increse in vibration at idle only, just like poly motor mounts....

No ill effects as of yet....

John
He's talking about the shafts not the chains. You can remove the chains but you can't remove the shafts can you???? :confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,181 Posts
hkayssi said:
He's talking about the shafts not the chains. You can remove the chains but you can't remove the shafts can you???? :confused:
Yes you can. If you remove the entire balance shaft system (chain and shafts) you need to block off the tensioner port/oil passage. To do this, you can use this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
In a Saab, I'd just pop the link, and pull the chain.

In DSM's, it's a minor surgery. you "have" to pull the motor, pull the front Case, pull the balance shafts out, replace the bearings with blanks, and then since the rear shaft is driven by the(aluminum) oil-pump, you have to replace the front Case, an "output shaft" with a stub. then, re-assemble. (replace timing belt + assoc.)

It's an all-day affair.

When my chain gets replaced, the balance shaft chain gets yanked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ragtopcav said:
I've done a flywheel reduction exercise with a previous Saab and it was well worth it [requires a change in driving style though ;) ]
What do you mean by change in driving style?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,857 Posts
hkayssi said:
He's talking about the shafts not the chains. You can remove the chains but you can't remove the shafts can you???? :confused:
Oh, ok, yes you can remove the shafts now, Nick at GS makes a aluminum shaft plug that is short, light and fills the oil passages... I just removed the chain.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Ryans900se said:
What do you mean by change in driving style?
It is not going to be as fun putzing around town. Well, it depends on your current driving style and what you call fun, but basically it is going to have less inertia and therefor rev a lot quicker...up and down. You're not going to launch at 2000 RPM.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,181 Posts
Ryans900se said:
What do you mean by change in driving style?
The inertia and mass of a heavier flywheel make it easier to move from a stop smoothly. (Stated another way, massive flywheels make the car more forgiving when you launch from a stop). With a lightened flywheel, you have to learn to feather the clutch more as you let off the clutch pedal or you will stall. On the plus side, when you need to accelerate, you are not wasting horsepower powering the massive flywheel up to speed first. RPMs fall much faster between shifts but climb much faster when you go on throttle.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top