SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after my latest problem of the radiator exploding on the highway, it looks as though I've got a head gasket problem. From the time the radiator blew to getting to the side of the road, the temp jumped to the red and the car was right about dead when I stopped it.

Repair shop says I've now got a head gasket problem. My question is this: fixing everything with the headgasket may run $1500+. Is it worth it just to replace the whole stupid engine or what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Get another estimate, try an Indy Saab shop. THe repair should not be anywhere close to that, sub $2k is reasonable at the high end.

Get a pressure test, hydrocarbon test, and a visual inspection on coolant/oil to check for contamination.

If u pulled over quickly I doubt it really blew ur gasket as a result unless perhaps it was allready leaking a bit (common).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my other post where I found out it was my radiator that blew and not the water pump, I probably explained a little better. I did pull over quickly, but it got hot FAST. The car was already shutting down when I reached the side of the road.

I waited about 45 minutes, added a bunch of anitfreeze and water (even though it was leaking in massive amounts) and hobbled to the repair shop about 4 miles away. It got hot again right when I was pulling to the shop. It was actually running fine on the road. Had a lot of rough idle while in park and in drive until I actually got going.

I talked to the Saab indie by me and he just said to do the tensioner etc, etc, it would probably be about $2500. AAMCO said hydrocarbon test wasn't good. I'm sure, with the luck I have, it's completely borked. I'll be getting it towed from AAMCO to the indie tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts