SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 1992 900S convertible with an engine noise that will likely require a motor overhaul or engine swap. I will be taking the vehicle to M&M Saab in Woodstock GA for an opinion. The car has a very nice body and clean interior, starts right up but has a knock that gets louder as the rpms increase. I bought this car for my wife and it was inexpensive knowing that work would be needed. What kind of labor is required for a engine replacement and does it need to go to a Saab shop? Suggestions for the best route to fix this car are welcome

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Pulling the engine on a 900 S is extremely easy, remove with gearbox then split them outside of the car. 2.1's are also easily found in junkyards though often have bad headgaskets, easily replaced. Certainly a good idea if you can get a bad HG engine in the scrappy for pennies.

In comparison removing the engine on your 2002 9-3 is a pain in the ***. For comparison I removed and installed my 91 900 Turbo convertible engine in roughly a week along with changing the transmission from auto to manual and having other work to do. But my 1999 9-3 it has already been a few months and I am not done... (admittely I have less time to spend on it...)

However if the car runs with a knock and has oil pressure, and you think to replace engine instead of rebuild, I'd be tempted to try some voodoo on it to see if you can clear it up (like one of the various "seafoam" products and then maybe heavy motor oil).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts